Nikon New 18-300 Len

Hi, I'm gng to rent tis soon n any1 k tell me wat to look out 4 when testing it ? E.g. should I zoom all out n test sharpness, etc ? Wat abt other aspect ?

Besides sharpness

Performance:
Vignetting, distortion, contrast and color reproduction, CA, AF speed

Construction
Zoom creep, environment protection (Fully understand this is not a gold banded lens) but good to know how it may transit from cold & dry (Plane, hotel aircon room) to humid and warm environment (Real shooting environment in tropical country)

Shouldn't the actual retail price be around 8% lower than Nikon Singapore's recommended price? Is this available now at the usual outlets, like Cathay, Parisilk, John, AMK MS Colour (?) and anyone knows the price they are selling at? Thanks.

And just to be sure, an FX lens used on a DX body will have the multiplier effect (1.5x) but a 300mm DX lens on a DX body will still be 300mm right? Thanks!

No. DX simply means the lens is designed for the smaller sensor in cropped cameras. The 1.5 multiplier still applies.

And just to be sure, an FX lens used on a DX body will have the multiplier effect (1.5x) but a 300mm DX lens on a DX body will still be 300mm right? Thanks!

No... Focal length is absolute. 300mm DX lens is the same focal length as 300mm FX lens.

daredevil123 said:
No... Focal length is absolute. 300mm DX lens is the same focal length as 300mm FX lens.

Thanks. And if the image is going to be a cropped one on a DX body, whether you use an FX or DX lens, then why bother to create DX lens coz the effect is the same in the pix, ie 1.5x the focal length? Unless a DX lens on a DX body will nullify the multiplier and make a 300mm still 300mm, no?! Confused.

Thanks. And if the image is going to be a cropped one on a DX body, whether you use an FX or DX lens, then why bother to create DX lens coz the effect is the same in the pix, ie 1.5x the focal length? Unless a DX lens on a DX body will nullify the multiplier and make a 300mm still 300mm, no?! Confused.

since the image circle of DX cameras are smaller, DX lens can be made smaller lighter and cheaper for the same focal lengths in FX. And most of us are happy to see cheaper smaller lighter lenses on the market.

Copies of the 18-300mm are already available in the UK and USA and some forum reviews are available (with 3 sample pictures). One such forum is dpreviews.com

daredevil123 is correct. I too fell into such confusion when I first started. It's going to be 27-450mm Full-frame equivalent after conversion. Therefore, not that wide as compared to a Dx UWA. But 450mm is going to be a lot of reach.

IQ-wise, I'd think like all super zooms, it's going to be really compromised - question is, whether as so-so as 18-200mm or worse/better is left to be seen. Nikon didn't build this lens for IQ, but for those who rather not switch lenses for convenience sake.

Its really good for people who just want a DSLR to shoot and dosent want to buy alot of lenses yet expect it to be able to shoot like a compact camera..
wide to super zoom.
:bsmilie:

That is why I wonder why even bother asking what the image quality is going to be like when ultimately it's going to lose out to even cheaper combos like 18-55VR/55-200VR?? (GASP, lose out to a KIT LENS??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!) ;)

If you just want convenience... just get it anyway, asking for image quality is, well to put it bluntly...simply redundant. :bsmilie:

That is why I wonder why even bother asking what the image quality is going to be like when ultimately it's going to lose out to even cheaper combos like 18-55VR/55-200VR?? (GASP, lose out to a KIT LENS??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!) ;)

If you just want convenience... just get it anyway, asking for image quality is, well to put it bluntly...simply redundant. :bsmilie:

Can never be avoided.. Everybody or most at least..want..

"All in one - focal length"
Cheap and light
Produce very good IQ
Small
Fast

The Ideal lens ! But come on.. it will never happen..pls be realistic :D

Last edited:
Can't help it also, coz there are peeps who "idolises" Zen Socksmell and believes all his "teachings". :bsmilie:

2 word that works for me.

Sacrifice and Compromise..

This len must be darm good for the price it command .. or its targeting newbie shooter .. who have no ideal and just buy for the sake of convienient.

Even fx 24-85 vr just cost under $700 now, add in a 18-55 vr, only $850 at most ..

Miao said:
This len must be darm good for the price it command .. or its targeting newbie shooter .. who have no ideal and just buy for the sake of convienient.

Even fx 24-85 vr just cost under $700 now, add in a 18-55 vr, only $850 at most ..

You're still short of the tele end. Remember, it gets to 300mm.

Cowseye said:
Add a 70-300 VR it's still cheaper than that single lens...

Really? As it stands, the 18-55mm VR and 24-85mm VR combo is priced at S$850 already. I am not sure what the street price of the 18-300mm is, but I have a feeling that the price is close for either method. Of course, one can go for a 18-105mm VR + 70-300mm VR combo.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of such super zoom lenses either. I'm just saying that if every manufacturer makes such lenses, it must be a pretty lucrative market and that there are consumers who want such lenses.