Nikon New 18-300 Len

archon

Dec 23, 2006
SG
Anyknow what's the retail price for this

Any review from so far?

Last edited:
Just by looking at the spec, its gonna be as heavy as the 28-300... price may be 1.3k & above?

definite must get for a dx user

ZerocoolAstra said:
wah got double-confirm some more...
"definite" + "must-get"

I would disagree with you though. Prefer 18-55 + 55-200/55-300 combo.

And eventually give up both for the F/2.8 lenses, so on and so forth :p

And eventually give up both for the F/2.8 lenses, so on and so forth :p

Hahahah well that's a story for another day.
I'm just comparing 18-55 + 55-200 combo versus the 18-200 lens.

That being said, a lot of DSLR users are happily using their kit lenses. Just take a walk around our attractions and observe what most people (tourists included) carry. And often it's not about affordability either ;)

Sells for about 999.95 USD

You can pre order it but it is not ready for shipping yet.

guess we have to wait for reviews to be out first..i think its a good multipurpose lens to carry about..instead of carrying about your 18-55 and 55 -200 lens..less hassle..but yeap good for beginners and casual users

guess we have to wait for reviews to be out first..i think its a good multipurpose lens to carry about..instead of carrying about your 18-55 and 55 -200 lens..less hassle..but yeap good for beginners and casual users

hmm...hopefully got better result for this NEW lens when compare with 18-200vr...(...so as to be able to do some birding...been waiting and waiting...sigh...)....!!!;)

hmm...hopefully got better result for this NEW lens when compare with 18-200vr...(...so as to be able to do some birding...been waiting and waiting...sigh...)....!!!;)

I am not too optimistic about a high powered Zoom for birding as normally a high powered zoom have slower AF and can be soft in apertures lesser than F8 which makes it kind of difficult for birding.

However, i do expect it to be a welcomed walkaround lens for DX.

Expect some form of review soon as the other 24-85mm VR lens that was launched on the same date already had some reviews published.

blueskye168 said:

If you want to do bird shots, you may be better off with the AF-S 300mm f/4.

I am not too optimistic about a high powered Zoom for birding as normally a high powered zoom have slower AF and can be soft in apertures lesser than F8 which makes it kind of difficult for birding.

However, i do expect it to be a welcomed walkaround lens for DX.

Expect some form of review soon as the other 24-85mm VR lens that was launched on the same date already had some reviews published.

Yup agreed, and which is why I said "hopefully-better-result";)...as usually an All-in-One lens suffered from some form of IQ, AF-speed wise and have to bear:bheart:with it in order to be fair...bcos can't expect lenses like this to yield superb image quality right:bsmilie:..., :bigeyes:then who's gonna those fork out that type of $price$ for good glass anymore...!!!!!:bsmilie:

If you want to do bird shots, you may be better off with the AF-S 300mm f/4.

Yup precisely, thought of this particular lens with a TC1.4x..., but then, not so willing to part my$$$$:mad2:..., mainly due to I might not:nono:do birding so often...'once in a Blue:eek:Blue moon' only..., hence the thought on lenses that give me the "most:bsmilie:" reach = 55-300, 70-300 and those All-in-one-lenses:embrass:liao lor...

It makes a wonderful lens for people who don't like the hassle of changing lenses. IQ-wise, definitely not the best but I'm sure they are people who won't mind.

It makes a wonderful lens for people who don't like the hassle of changing lenses. IQ-wise, definitely not the best but I'm sure they are people who won't mind.

might as well buy a prosumer super-zoom...

Aiyah... :) message deleted...

This lens has a RRP on the Nikon SG webbie.

However, to confirm the retail price, do contact the shops instead. Suspect the price to be RRP or at best slightly less for all new launches.

Just a little experience to share for all budding photograhpers (just like how i started), a one size fits all lens can still produce reasonable sharpness (usually a vital element a budding DSLR photographer looks for) if you get the settings correct when composing the shot (normally at F/8) but if one would try to attempt to use the longer end of the zoom to take pictures of wild life and moving objects, depending on your personality, one may get disappointed with an all in lens (just like i did).

This lens has not been tested for AF speed that is needed for fast photography.(No reviews on this aspect so far)

Hence, i would say the best is test the lens at the shop with your own DSLR and see if you like you it before you buy. The reason is that you would want to test the ISO and Aperture marriage of this lens to your DSLR so you will not end up wanting to shoot at higher ISO that is too noisy for your liking due to having to step down the aperture to get the sharpness you want. Also to a good chance to test the sharpness when wide open vs. step down and the AF speed (shooting moving objects or subjects with unpredictable movement).

came across this update too... hope there'll be reviews soon... :D