Nikon NC vs B+W filter

Which filters would you buy for protection?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
Hi there, its me asking more newbie questions again...
Just wanted to ask what's the difference between the clear Nikon NC filter and B+W UV Haze filter.
Some say that B+W exhibit warm colors and Nikon is completely clear and some say that they're the same, cutting UV rays from the elements... What is your take and which would you buy?

So far I only buy B+W for my more expensive lenses and Hoya for the cheaper ones.
I'm using this poll to decide the details of my next filter.

Haze filter is just like a UV filter IIRC, The NC filter is a piece of clear glass that protects the front element from scratches, no protection from UV.

TMC said:
Haze filter is just like a UV filter IIRC, The NC filter is a piece of clear glass that protects the front element from scratches, no protection from UV.

What would you buy? Some ppl prefer no effects on output and some prefer UV protection.
What's more important, and why?

digital, NC filters as UV doesnt affect the pic. Film get UV filter as it will affect the film.

TMC said:
digital, NC filters as UV doesnt affect the pic. Film get UV filter as it will affect the film.

Oh... thanks for the enlightenment.
Your words had made me kind of regretting buying expensive B+W filters... could have gotten the Nikon NC for the same prices. :cry:

I wouldn't bother as they will not affect the picture much, not to the naked eyes. Don't believe if someone comes and tell you one has more contrast and more saturated than the other. :)

espn said:
:thumbsup:
:think: why you never vote one....... :think:

anyways, need to put filter in front of lens under normal usage meh? :sweat:

idor said:

Well, some ppl like it for the protection and some for the effects...

idor said:

espn jots down what NG Pro just asked and go meditate 49 days on it.

You should limit your post to Nikon users.. Because Canon users will definitely not vote Nikon :) I have both, and I use both B+W and Nikon.. But can only choose 1.. So since I have more B+W than Nikon, I choose B+W:)

Hoky said:
Hi there, its me asking more newbie questions again...
Just wanted to ask what's the difference between the clear Nikon NC filter and B+W UV Haze filter.
Some say that B+W exhibit warm colors and Nikon is completely clear and some say that they're the same, cutting UV rays from the elements... What is your take and which would you buy?

So far I only buy B+W for my more expensive lenses and Hoya for the cheaper ones.
I'm using this poll to decide the details of my next filter.

jeryltan said:
You should limit your post to Nikon users.. Because Canon users will definitely not vote Nikon :) I have both, and I use both B+W and Nikon.. But can only choose 1.. So since I have more B+W than Nikon, I choose B+W:)

I know of some Canon users who use Nikon filters (NC/UV) and Nikon users who use Canon filters (500d) ....
Don't get caught up with the marketing propaganda, just use the best tool for the job ..... :)

Yes.. But a majority of Canon users won't mah.. That what I trying to say..

eawtan said:
I know of some Canon users who use Nikon filters (NC/UV) and Nikon users who use Canon filters (500d) ....
Don't get caught up with the marketing propaganda, just use the best tool for the job ..... :)

jeryltan said:
Because Canon users will definitely not vote Nikon :)

I'm a Canon user but I have Nikon flash, Nikon compact digicam and Nikon close-up lens. also have Olympus converters, Olympus watch, Fujifilm laptop bag, etc ;p

The nikon flash can work on canon?

mpenza said:
I'm a Canon user but I have Nikon flash, Nikon compact digicam and Nikon close-up lens. also have Olympus converters, Olympus watch, Fujifilm laptop bag, etc ;p

jeryltan said:
The nikon flash can work on canon?

Can work but no TTL. U can use the automatic modes (found on most of the higher end Nikon flash) on the flash unit where a sensor will help determine the flash exposure and cut off the flash accordingly. What you need to do is to sync the aperture and ISO settings on the flash to be the same as the camera and to set the flash zoom accordingly.