Nikon N1 vs Sony Nex C3 vs Oly EP-3 face-off queries.

FIR EP-3

Dec 3, 2011
Hi.
Firstly im a newbie here so be nice :) I am looking into 3 cameras here on which to purchase. Nikon N1, Sony Nex C3 and Olympus EP-3. Firstly let me clarify im not a hard core photographer (learning phase) but I like taking beautiful pictures during special occasions and festive seasons. Seriously I do not have anything in detail to bring up in terms of what sort of camera do I want or what I want to do with the camera. Ive read a few reviews and seen a few reviews on youtube but I just want to get a feedback as a general from you guys here which of these are a good camera for a newbie like me who wants to start of small first and then go into the dlsr. As a newbie I would like to buy a camera which is affordable, easy to use and understand the manual controls with no hassle, and NO im not going to buy any extra lenses yet. Thank You for your kind and honest feedback.

ps: pls dont ask me to buy a point and shoot camera just because im a noob. thank you.

Hi.
Firstly im a newbie here so be nice :) I am looking into 3 cameras here on which to purchase. Nikon N1, Sony Nex C3 and Olympus EP-3. Firstly let me clarify im not a hard core photographer (learning phase) but I like taking beautiful pictures during special occasions and festive seasons. Seriously I do not have anything in detail to bring up in terms of what sort of camera do I want or what I want to do with the camera. Ive read a few reviews and seen a few reviews on youtube but I just want to get a feedback as a general from you guys here which of these are a good camera for a newbie like me who wants to start of small first and then go into the dlsr. As a newbie I would like to buy a camera which is affordable, easy to use and understand the manual controls with no hassle, and NO im not going to buy any extra lenses yet. Thank You for your kind and honest feedback.

ps: pls dont ask me to buy a point and shoot camera just because im a noob. thank you.

Firstly you have to ask yourself what do you really need? Reading those reviews and YouTube videos is insufficient. If you have a chance, head down to the shops and try out those 3 cameras and see which one you think suits you. I am not a pro either, thus I can only advise you on that.

Cheers! Good luck in finding your best "friend"

Hi.

All three of the stated cameras can take good and 'beautiful' photos. Having a camera is one thing... and only one small part of the equation... correct composition is another part.

The three cameras that you have listed are mirrorless camera, they have different sized sensor, the Nikon N1 had the smallest one, the EP3 came in second and the Sony had the largest of them all. As a rule of thumb the bigger the sensor the better the performance in lowlight situation (high ISO).

Actually all three are pretty alright for all the genr of photographies, which I think you can actually find plenty of reviews in the net on them. However, you would need to ask yourself this what do you really want... fast framerate, quick autofocus, light weight (all three is very light actually), availability of accessories and lenses, etc etc.

Hi, im not sure if this is the right place for me to post this thread here. I just wanna have some reviews or can say som pro and cons of the above cams. I understand that its uses diffrent tech however if you guys can give ur inputs if about this cams.
Im currently using an Oly EP-3 and wanted to buy a camera for a friend. as such i wanted some reviews on the nikon 1 and sony nex. my friend wanted a good quality picture and not too bulky camera. cheers..

All 3 have different sensor sizes. In ascending order of size would be:
Nikon 1
Olympus PEN-series (micro 4/3)
Sony Nex series (APS-C)

Nikon 1's performance is surprisingly good for it's sensor size. Can see reviews by fellow CSers in the Nikon subforum.

Go try them out and see which one you're happy with in terms of size. You have experience with your own camera, so I'm sure you have an opinion on it ;)

TS, since you settled on EP3, why not just suggest EP3 or EPL3 to your friend?
At least you are familiar with it.

Hi, im not sure if this is the right place for me to post this thread here. I just wanna have some reviews or can say som pro and cons of the above cams. I understand that its uses diffrent tech however if you guys can give ur inputs if about this cams.
Im currently using an Oly EP-3 and wanted to buy a camera for a friend. as such i wanted some reviews on the nikon 1 and sony nex. my friend wanted a good quality picture and not too bulky camera. cheers..

*cough* damn many reviews already online comparing these models *cough*

The sony nex c3 is as good as a dslr in image quality. It is definitely better than the other two in IQ. User Interface may not be the best out there as compare to the Nex7. Many people use the Nex camera with adapter to mount good quality lenses like the Leica, Zeiss, Nikon etc to fully explore the full potential of the sensor. If image quality is not the most important thing you are look for, than the other two cameras is already good enough.

The sony nex c3 is as good as a dslr in image quality. It is definitely better than the other two in IQ. User Interface may not be the best out there as compare to the Nex7. Many people use the Nex camera with adapter to mount good quality lenses like the Leica, Zeiss, Nikon etc to fully explore the full potential of the sensor. If image quality is not the most important thing you are look for, than the other two cameras is already good enough.

Not true about m4/3 having inferior image quality as compare to APS-C image quality. What APS-C had in advantage was its better low light performance. However if you shoot under bright sunlight or brightly lit environment, all of them should have almost the same image quality. The newer m4/3 camera like the EP3, EPL3, EPM1, G3 and GX1, all had much better image quality then their predecessors and even at high ISO, they are performing decently well.

As for the M4/3, you don't even need an adapter, as there are already lenses from Leica that are built specially for them. Plus with adapters, you can also mount legendary lenses to these cameras and for the Olympus range of m4/3 you can also mount excellent zuiko lenses to them with full auto capability. Same was for the Nikon's N1/J1 camera... with adapter, you can mount those excellent Nikkor lenses with full auto capability.

with adapter, you can mount those excellent Nikkor lenses with full auto capability.

Same with NEX and the excellent Sony/Zeiss Autofocus/Minolta lenses

Not true about m4/3 having inferior image quality as compare to APS-C image quality. What APS-C had in advantage was its better low light performance. However if you shoot under bright sunlight or brightly lit environment, all of them should have almost the same image quality. The newer m4/3 camera like the EP3, EPL3, EPM1, G3 and GX1, all had much better image quality then their predecessors and even at high ISO, they are performing decently well.

As for the M4/3, you don't even need an adapter, as there are already lenses from Leica that are built specially for them. Plus with adapters, you can also mount legendary lenses to these cameras and for the Olympus range of m4/3 you can also mount excellent zuiko lenses to them with full auto capability. Same was for the Nikon's N1/J1 camera... with adapter, you can mount those excellent Nikkor lenses with full auto capability.

i couldn't agreed more than u on the 1st point that you brought up.

ask ur friend to go and get a feel of the camera.
what i like abt the ep2/3 is the 2 dials which when using manual, is much easy to adjust the shutter speed/aperature.
i must admit i nvr tried the nex or nikon 1.....

i couldn't agreed more than u on the 1st point that you brought up.

ask ur friend to go and get a feel of the camera.
what i like abt the ep2/3 is the 2 dials which when using manual, is much easy to adjust the shutter speed/aperature.
i must admit i nvr tried the nex or nikon 1.....

You'll love the nex 7 then - 3 dials, can control the trinity. :D

tried the V1 and J1 the other day. while i love the feel of the Nikon DSLRs, the compact mirrorless cameras they produce just feel like a dead-weight in my hands. and they feel too plastiky for my liking.

oh well. perhaps it's just me.

but i must agree. the IQ in the images produce is very good for that sensor size.

NEX-7 not yet here. But from spec... it is a juicy piece of equipment... I doubt it to be cheap though... more like in the range of 1K+++ to 2K...

rhino123 said:
As for the M4/3, you don't even need an adapter, as there are already lenses from Leica that are built specially for them.

Lenses from leica for m43? That's a new one for me, or do u mean voigtlander 25/0.95?