Nikon mount? Canon mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashin

Apr 14, 2006
hi all,
heard ppl mentioned that the sigma lens (let say 70-300mm APO Macro) has both nikon mount and canon mount...
humm... just wondering if can differentiate them from the design of the lens (pls bear with me hor cos i only see the nikon lens b4 but haven't see the canon lens :embrass: )
anyone can help to explain? ;)
thanks in advance leh :p

Ya, the throat of the Canon mount is significantly larger than that of the Canon. And if using the original Sigma rear lens cap, it is also denoted which mount on the underside of the cap.

IIRC for Nikon mount, the contact pins are on the side of the lens but for Canon its on the bottom below the rear element.

luddock said:
Ya, the throat of the Canon mount is significantly larger than that of the Canon. And if using the original Sigma rear lens cap, it is also denoted which mount on the underside of the cap.
Not really "significantly larger". From here it is 7mm (yes millimeters) and the registration distance difference is 2.5mm. That is why you get a lot of adaptors for the various mounts available.

hi all,
thank you for the information :thumbsup:
i have learn additional knowledge from your now :D

Watcher said:
Not really "significantly larger". From here it is 7mm (yes millimeters) and the registration distance difference is 2.5mm. That is why you get a lot of adaptors for the various mounts available.

humm... by the way is there any adapter (or converter) that can convert canon mount to nikon mount or vice-versa... sorry for my newbie question hor :embrass:

can have a adaptor to fit nikon lens to canon, but i haven heard of canon on nikon b4...

but u loses metering i think....

shashin said:
humm... by the way is there any adapter (or converter) that can convert canon mount to nikon mount or vice-versa... sorry for my newbie question hor :embrass:
There is no converter for Canon to Nikon as the registration distance means that you will not be able to focus at infinity if you try. It is as if there is an extension tube attached to it.

In any case, all modern Canon lens (EF-mount) are all driven by electronics. With an adapter, you can't set aperture, you can't AF nor use IS (no power). For Nikon to Canon bodies, the non-G Nikkors have an aperture ring.

i see, i see... :)
thank you guys for the information ;)

shashin said:

I believe and there is a shop in USA that does conversion of canon mount to nikon but once covert it cannot be mount on canon. :dunno:

The shop name is as follow
Tempe Camera Repair Incorporated
606 W University Dr
Tempe, AZ 85281-3410
(480) 966-6954

I am currently using nikon lens on canon body, cost of the adapter is 150~200.

YMMV

if you are refering to the older Tamron lenses, there is such a thing as an adaptive mount.
the lens is universal. just get the correct mount for the respective brand.

GmbH. said:
if you are refering to the older Tamron lenses, there is such a thing as an adaptive mount.
the lens is universal. just get the correct mount for the respective brand.
Is it something like M42 (IIRC)?.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Is it something like M42 (IIRC)?.

Regards,
Arto.

yes, something of that sort.

shashin said:
hi all,
heard ppl mentioned that the sigma lens (let say 70-300mm APO Macro) has both nikon mount and canon mount...
humm... just wondering if can differentiate them from the design of the lens (pls bear with me hor cos i only see the nikon lens b4 but haven't see the canon lens :embrass: )
anyone can help to explain? ;)
thanks in advance leh :p
For Sigma, the non-DC Nikon mount lenses will have an aperture ring while all Canon mount lenses have no aperture ring. Do note that newer Nikon lenses eg. DX, G series do not have aperture rings.

Nikon mount lenses have a protruding lever at the lens mount for stopping down of aperture while Canon mount have none.

Status
Not open for further replies.