Nikon Micro and Normal lens

lotus80

Apr 9, 2012
Pasir Ris
Let's say I have a 50mm 1.8g lens and another 50mm micro/macro lens.

Can the macro lens also work normally besides doing close range photography ?
Or one has to buy both the lens ?

Of course you can use the 50mm macro for other stuffs....But the only difference (ignoring IQ factors) will be that your max aperture will be at f2.x instead of f1.8.

lotus80 said:

Yes u can use it for ppl shooting, landscapes etc as long as the focal length fits. One of my favourite landscape lens is a macro lens.

Ryan

giantcanopy said:
One of my favourite landscape lens is a macro lens.

Ryan

Which one? Just curious.

Of course you can use the 50mm macro for other stuffs....But the only difference (ignoring IQ factors) will be that your max aperture will be at f2.x instead of f1.8.

Focusing speed may also be slower on macro lenses

50mm normal lens the closer you can get is about 30cm

the 50mm macro lens can focus from infinity to 1:1. and off course, it is much sharper.

the 50mm f1.8 lens is only half of the price a 50mm macro lens.

if close up is important to you than get macro lens, else normal lens is good enough.

Okayyy, will the 50mm macro lens also give me good bokeh as that of normal 50mm ?

Thanks for your inputs, getting to know more things :)

Okayyy, will the 50mm macro lens also give me good bokeh as that of normal 50mm ?

Take note that bokeh is the quality of the out of focus areas. This depends on the construction of the lens, and is not dependent on whether it is a macro lens or a normal lens.

If you shoot the same subject from the same distance, with both lenses at f/2.8 you will get an identical amount of blur. As for bokeh, the quality of this will depend on the background, your composition and the construction of the lens.

you want to get narrow depth of field effect, just remember this

open aperture BIG BIG
put background FAR FAR
shoot your subject CLOSE CLOSE

I thought 50mm can shoot portraits?

giantcanopy said:
An old 85mm PC micro. Covers the longer end of landscape for me. Great for panoramas

Interesting. I have not worked with that lens before.

MicSanity said:
I thought 50mm can shoot portraits?

Any lens can also handle portrait photography. Some more useful and versatile than others. That's all.

If you shoot the same subject from the same distance, with both lenses at f/2.8 you will get an identical amount of blur. As for bokeh, the quality of this will depend on the background, your composition and the construction of the lens.

how doesthe construction of the lens affect the bokeh? number of blades?

And the number of lens elements, and the presence/lack of APD elements, the optical characteristics of the lens design, etc.

You could have 2 lenses with 8 curved aperture blades, but one will produce crap bokeh highlights and the other will produce good bokeh highlights.

But you could have the lens with the best specular highlight rendition in the world, but if your background is a mess then you also have bad bokeh.

correct. the less blade the least rounded your bokeh is.

Yes, but that's just specific to specular highlights. Bokeh is more than that.

Generally more blades would generate rounder out-of-focus point of light, which generally will result in a more pleasing out of focus area of the image. However to get a rounder out-of-focus point of light, not only more blades help, the shape and construction of those blades help too (note that in some lenses, there are no aperture blades - eg. Mirror lens) thus the 'number' of blades don't work here.

Note that bokeh are actually the aesthetic quality of the blur, and not just the out-of-focus point of light.