NIKON Metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merv08

Jul 17, 2008
HI I’m newbie and my gear is D80, I would like to know How do you use Exposure Metering (3D color Matrix, Center-weighted, & Spot) in D80? And on what instance you used it?

This metering is same with Canon Metering Mode

Thanks in advance.

This is covered in your manual, and extensively in the forum posts in the Nikon section of this forum. I suggest you try a search there. The differences are also explained on many websites if you try a google search.

i suggest you get this book D80 digital field guide by david d.busch. Its a full colour guide which tells you everything about d80 and how to use all the available functions. Also include how to shoot scenarios like fireworks, sunset, portraits and many others. Only cost $34, can get at borders or kinokuniya. Else you can borrow from the library books on exposure.

Thanks guys.

spot metering for macros and center weighted to reduce overexposure.
the matrix metering tend to overexpose the dark shadows on my d40 so i use -0.3 to -0.7ev for better results.

spot metering for macros and center weighted to reduce overexposure.
the matrix metering tend to overexpose the dark shadows on my d40 so i use -0.3 to -0.7ev for better results.

It depends on the scene you want to take.

I use Matrix almost for all occasions, including macros. ;p
I only will use spot metering when there is a BIG difference of exposure for the subject and the BG. And you better know where to meter too.

Read up your D80 user manual. I'm sure nikon will use the classic example of a sunrise pic to show how center-weighted metering works..
For those instances, center-weighted is used because you don't want to overexpose the sun; anything else can be underexposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.