Nikon Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbykat

Jun 7, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hi all, i am undecided between the F100 and the Canon 1V.
but i think i will go with the Nikon since i have never used Canon before.
just want to check with the Nikon experts here, i am rather confused with the Nikon lenses available. if let's say in future i want to be able to use my current lenses for the F100 with the D100, what kind of lenses should i be getting?
i just checked out the Nikon website, they have AF-S, AF, AF-Zoom etc, so what is most suitable for me if i am going mainly for portraiture and weddings?

thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Buy minimum AF lenses in order to use it in D100, better still AF-S which will cost more. Just dun buy MF lenses can liao ... ;)

thanks Knight, but i read more on Nikon lenses and there are F-mount etc, what are these? arrgh! sorry if i'm so swa ku :O really need to get these lenses right. don't want to spend a bomb on something wrong for me.

F-mount is the standard mount for all or most Nikkor lenses, dun need to be worry. You may also consider 3rd party lenses if you are on tight budget like tokina or sigma etc .. some of these lens gives very good quality results.

I presumed you are using F100 now rite ?

yes going to get the F100 this week. have been using my friend's F90.
do you think the F100 is "pro" enough for wedding photoshoots?
so you are saying i should be getting AF-S F Mount lenses ya? thanks! :)

F100 is pro and good enough to take wedding photos, I have am using it since 1999. If you can afforts buy the AF-S lens else AF lens is also good enough.

Any current AF lens would do fine on both the D100 and F100. You should be looking at what focal lengths you need, then decide if you need a constant f2.8 aperture lens, and after that decide if you need the AF-S type lenses for their faster focussing.

For example you want something along the lines of a wide-normal zoom. If you want a constant f2.8 aperture, you get a choice of the fabulously expensive AF-S 28-70mm f2.8 or the much cheaper AF-D 35-70mm f2.8. If you don't need the constant f2.8 aperture, your choices increase termendously.

Do note that AF-S lenses are not signifcantly faster on the F100 as compared to the prosumer/consumer line Nikon SLRs as the focussing module on the F100 is already very fast, so its up to you if you need just that tiny extra bit of speed and the ability to touch up focus manually on the lens without any fuss.

One of the attractions of the F100 when I bought mine is its ability to meter with MF lenses, but since you are looking for full compatibility with the D100, the branch is sadly not open to you.

Enjoy the F100 whatever lens you buy! :D

if u r 100% made up ur mind on nikons , then i recommend these 2 lenses in view of the fact that u r using f100 n d100 (FLM=1.5)

AF nikkor 18-35/f3.5-4.5 ED (2nd hand about 800 bucks)
AF nikkor 80-200/2.8 tow touch, fixed tripod collar ED (2nd hand about 1200 bucks)

just these 2 guys alone and u can cover practically anything u ever come across

if u feel that the 18-35 is not gd enuff then try hunt for a used AF nikkor 20-35/2.8 (2nd hand about 1500 bucks)

u can add primes later

=)

if you are looking for value for money and versatility, i would recommend the nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D lens. sure, you might get a bit softness or distortion at both ends (well, most zooms do??), but you have the range from 24mm for dynamic wide angle shots or group photos, to 85mm for a decent couple portrait...plus you get a 1:2 macro function, too, for abstracts and close-ups. imho, with this lens, you can cover almost the whole wedding event. you can add in a dedicated portrait lens, wide angle zoom or telephoto zoom to your setup, but this lens is definitely good enough to be the main lens on your F100. if you are switching over to the D100, you might get a bit of focus hunting (from personal experience). the AF-S version with the same range might be slightly better in terms of focus speed. (of course, if you are the type who are sucker for tip-top optical sharpness and quality, there's always the nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 :bsmilie: )

Status
Not open for further replies.