Nikon Lenses - Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

eesteck

Feb 19, 2006
East
Hi, I am a beginner in DSLR. Thinking of making it easy to just get a 18-200mm lens for both wide angle and telephoto, is it a good idea? Any lens to recommend for below $500? Sincerely need some advice. Thank you.

I am using Nikon D70

Just use kits len 18-70 + 50 mm F1.8 will mostly sufficient for the time being. IMHO.;)

$500 not enough,save up for the 70-200mm.
i assume you are using kit lens now.

Yes, the kit lens is actually much sufficient if you are new to DSLR. Cheers. ;)

Kit lens about $300-330 and get a nikon NC filter + polarising filter.

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. I also heard that the D70 kit lens is quite good quality. But personally like telephoto & don't like the idea having to keep changing lens.

eesteck said:
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. I also heard that the D70 kit lens is quite good quality. But personally like telephoto & don't like the idea having to keep changing lens.

Hhmmm... looks like you already have your mind made up :)

Sorry to be a busybody...but if you really want to take the best pictures. Not only you need a good quality lens, but a flash and tripod too.

Why you think those PROs walking around with their gears? :sweat:

I think the kitlens will do fine for a start....

That's what I prefer but not sure it make sense

You can the Nikon AF-S DX Zoom 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED (cheap) if your budget is less then $500 for a telephoto. Cannot recommend 18-200mm VR to you coz out of your budget leh. :)

What about sigma 18-200mm? is it a good lens. Heard is much cheaper?

eesteck said:
What about sigma 18-200mm? is it a good lens. Heard is much cheaper?

Yes, about $600 except no VR. DG version.

I do not have a kit lens now. So deciding whether to buy a kit lens or add a little more to buy a 18-200mm for wider usage. Lets put aside telephoto, if I use a 18-200mm lens to shoot picture within the 105mm range, do I get save result as using the D70 kit lens?

I do not have a kit lens now. So deciding whether to buy a kit lens or add a little more to buy a 18-200mm for wider usage. Lets put aside telephoto, if I use a 18-200mm lens to shoot picture within the 105mm range, do I get save result as using the D70 kit lens?

If it is just the image you want for tele....go for the 70-300mm G. It is cheap and image wise ok..if you not shooting it in dim light.

I have got both....they are alright if you are not fussy

To be frank, Sigma 18-200mm give you a wider range as a walk around lens. If you go tour and take mostly landscape and street shots (18-70mm is enough), then suddenly you saw this colourful bird up on a tree far away and you want it's picture. :confused: How? You need 18-200mm lor. ;)

Benign said:
If it is just the image you want for tele....go for the 70-300mm G. It is cheap and image wise ok..if you not shooting it in dim light.

I have got both....they are alright if you are not fussy

You mean you are selling, don't mine consider used lens if price is good!:nono: :nono:

You mean you are selling, don't mine consider used lens if price is good!

Siao meh...I am currently in Melbourne, Aust. If sell, I fetch betta price here than Sg.

Anyway, I think the price for new one is about Sgd$160 lor. I paid only Sgd$130 for a used one in KL two years back. I am happy with the image quality of the lens.

Benign said:
Siao meh...I am currently in Melbourne, Aust. If sell, I fetch betta price here than Sg.

Anyway, I think the price for new one is about Sgd$160 lor. I paid only Sgd$130 for a used one in KL two years back. I am happy with the image quality of the lens.

Is good price at 100 over bucks. will see if I can get a second hand one. Thanks.

sgfriend said:
To be frank, Sigma 18-200mm give you a wider range as a walk around lens. If you go tour and take mostly landscape and street shots (18-70mm is enough), then suddenly you saw this colourful bird up on a tree far away and you want it's picture. :confused: How? You need 18-200mm lor. ;)
I encountered that. :) Now I'm mostly (90%) using the 18-200VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.