nikon lens on canon body

asisdontknow

Feb 17, 2007
Hi all need have a question on the above.
my brother happen to be nikon user me canon and he has a manual nikon lens. was thinking if i can get a nikon lens to canon body adaptors.

Any user here have such experiences and any comments. Most important where can I get one, what kind of prices and is there different type of adapter for body to lens.

thanks

Have you tried a search? This has already been discussed to death.

haha okay i found a few thread before posting actually but did not get all the answer.

any pointer please

From my limited knowledge, there are 2 types of adaptor... chipped and unchipped. I think both allows metering? Not very sure on that. Anyways, I have a chipped one and it works well on my friends' Canons... I believe it can be had new for about $80 or so? Try eBay or the Mass Sales subforum. I believe Orient Photo and P&G would have such adaptors... or even the regular camera shops! Call and ask! Or just walk around the Peninsula area to survey the prices...

go to Marketplace ---> Mass Sales and search under appropriate thread for Mass Seller selling such conversion/adaptor mounts

and you can direct specific questions to them via PM

Hi all need have a question on the above.
my brother happen to be nikon user me canon and he has a manual nikon lens. was thinking if i can get a nikon lens to canon body adaptors.

a manual focusing nikon or the non G nikon af lenses can be adapted to canon with adapter. it can be chipped or unchipped like what was mentioned.

but in case u wonder , for nikon G lenses to canon EOS, u need a much pricier special made Nikon G-EOS adapter to control aperture.

ryan

go to Marketplace ---> Mass Sales and search under appropriate thread for Mass Seller selling such conversion/adaptor mounts

and you can direct specific questions to them via PM

WOW. thanks that really help.

can i say that as long as it is manual lens with aperture ring i can use the unchipped version of the adaptor. without other concern?

thanks

can i say that as long as it is manual lens with aperture ring i can use the unchipped version of the adaptor. without other concern?

Yes, metering in Canon is not depending on any chips in lenses. But you can only use Av and M modes. in Av the shutter is set by the cam according metering results when you close the aperture. In M you need to adjust ... manually :)
The chip in adapter comes in handy when focusing manually, but a good focusing screen can help here as well. Matter of preference. Do note that focus confirmation is only as exact as the AF system of the camera works.

Yes, metering in Canon is not depending on any chips in lenses. But you can only use Av and M modes. in Av the shutter is set by the cam according metering results when you close the aperture. In M you need to adjust ... manually :)
The chip in adapter comes in handy when focusing manually, but a good focusing screen can help here as well. Matter of preference. Do note that focus confirmation is only as exact as the AF system of the camera works.

Sorry. Chip in adapter? Non chip one can focus manually right.
I am new this this thing.

If you use adapter with chip, you will get the focus confirmation beep and blink (in viewfinder) from the focus point you selected (i.e. center point).

If you use adapter without chip, you won't get the focus confirmation.

In either case, you will only be able to use manual focus.

Chipped or no chip, there is still no autofocus function. The chip just provides the autofocus confirmation.

go to the shop, get the shop salesman let u try will do.. they are more than willing to answer ur questions :bsmilie:

Do note that although you can use AV and M with the nikon lens adapted, you will still probably need to employ some extent of exposure compensation depending on the aperture.

If you use adapter with chip, you will get the focus confirmation beep and blink (in viewfinder) from the focus point you selected (i.e. center point).

If you use adapter without chip, you won't get the focus confirmation.

In either case, you will only be able to use manual focus.

I SEE. okay understood.

which shop beside those mass sales here?

I know TCW sells the Pixco adaptors sold by XCPictorial in mass sales. But XC sells them cheaper provided you're willing to go down to Geylang.

You might like to note that there are numerous grades of adapters, ranging from downright nasty aka, loose fit, uneven thiickness and badly designed catch that might cut your finger when you try to dismount the adapter, to the very tight tolerance designs.

Generally, you get what you pay for and it reflects on the results.

One good way to test if an adapter at least fits nicely is to try and 'rock' the lens after you have fitted the adapter on, and mounted it to a camera.

If there's a very slight left to right twist after locking the lens, like when you're mounting/demounting a lens, that's usually OK, but any sort of side-to-side or top-to-bottom looseness in relation to the plane of the lens and the plane of the sensor will degrade IQ. Sometimes, the degradation may be erratic depending on how bad the adapter fits.

Also note that there are different generations of chips, different QC on how the chip is attached and not all chipped adapters provide electronic feedback with all EOS Bodies reliably. Some of the very old bodies as well as the professional grade bodies may not register or recognize the chip, or require an adapter with a far greater tolerance in QC and chip installation.

If you encounter any stiff resistance when trying to fit an adapted lens onto your body, do not force it or you risk damaging the electronic contact pins just inside of the lens mount portion of the body. Just ask for a different adapter.

CHEERS!

The chip assists in focus confirmation as what others have outlined.
of course with a good focusing screen you can do well without the chip.
personally i think it is a great help for manual focusing on the go, and does not cost an arm to get one with a chip.

ryan

My eyes are baaad.

I have been working without a chip for some years now. A good focusing screen is essential (I have 3 different ones for different manual focusing needs/subjects/conditions), and if you prefer, you could always add some sort of good quality VF magnifier or angle finder.

Electronic focus confirm chips are still subject to a lot of variables, and quite often, again due to a range of factors, you may experience some front or back focusing issues, regardless of cost of the adapter/chip.

An appropriate focusing screen and magnifying device is usually far more reliable, accurate, and quite often, faster because you don't have to keep on going back and forth to try and 'catch' the LED lighting up.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed that almost all the very high quality adapter manufacturers/models are offered in non-chipped versions only. Tighter tolerances perhaps?