Nikon lens make in china

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrick tong

May 3, 2006
woodlands
www.flickr.com
Recently, I took a visit to some of the camera shops to enquire about the price ranges of some of the lenses. I found out that a majority of the lenses are manufactured in China. Having said this, is there a difference in quality between the Chinese and Japanese-manufactured lenses because the prices of both lenses are the same. If so, how significant are the differences?

There are quite a number of lense model that made in Thailand....

Should not have any difference. They are all Nikon manufacturing plants and will go through Nikon QC.

Recently, I took a visit to some of the camera shops to enquire about the price ranges of some of the lenses. I found out that a majority of the lenses are manufactured in China. Having said this, is there a difference in quality between the Chinese and Japanese-manufactured lenses because the prices of both lenses are the same. If so, how significant are the differences?

No difference in quality. The other dominant DSLR brand's lenses are all made in Japan. Some of their lenses are lemons too.

Most 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) are made in Japan. Some have quality issues more than Nikon lenses made in China or Thailand.

Country of manufacture is not as big a factor of quality as many were led to believe.

Last edited:
The prices of Japanese made and Chinese made lenses are not the same. Firstly, when Nikon move the production of a lens from Japan to China or Thailand, they stop making it in Japan. Secondly, some lenses do not have MIJ versions, e.g. DX 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G, and most of the DX zooms (that are made in Thailand).

If there are MIJ and MIC versions, then the MIJ versions are much older, e.g. AF 50mm f/1.4D, probably 3-4 years older than the MIC versions.

So, you will not find both MIC and MIJ in the shop. And if you find both MIC and MIJ, you gotta ask yourself is that MIJ worth it? You are probably going to pay more, 10-20% more for a lens that may be 3-5 years older. And if you are talking about AF 50mm f/1.8, then it is like 10 years old MIJ vs new(er) MIC, and non-D vs D.

I have MIJ and MIC lenses, but not at the same time, and I personally cannot tell the difference optically. This is from my AF 50mm f/1.4, f/1.4D (MIJ) and f/1.4D (MIC); and the f/1.8 non-D and D MIJ vs D MIC versions. I still have the AF 50mm f/1.4D MIJ, just for the heck of it (and the f/1.8D MIC, and f/1.4G MIC, and the older Ai f/2 and non-Ai f/1.4 - I have too many 50mm).

Generally speaking, MIJ is better than MIC in quality. But the difference is not obviously. Most importantly, for the same lens, it is always made in either Japan or China or Thailand (with very few exceptions). So it doesn't make sense to compare MIJ and MIC because you don't have a choice.

Generally speaking, MIJ is better than MIC in quality. But the difference is not obviously. Most importantly, for the same lens, it is always made in either Japan or China or Thailand (with very few exceptions). So it doesn't make sense to compare MIJ and MIC because you don't have a choice.

I really hope you can substantiate that statement you made (in bold) and explain why it is so.

Purchasing new from shop maybe no, but you do have a choice to buy 2nd hand from BnS or from 2nd hand lens shop

I really hope you can substantiate that statement you made (in bold) and explain why it is so.

Truth is just truth. Believe it or not, it's totally up to you. I don't think I need to explain why, because I don't manage the factories in Japan or China.

Truth is just truth. Believe it or not, it's totally up to you. I don't think I need to explain why, because I don't manage the factories in Japan or China.

i dun believe that's the truth. if the same materials r used, the workers r equally skilled in both countries n the same strict quality control measures can be seen in the same factories in both japan and china in this case, how do u explain n substantiate ur statement earlier that the items made in japan r definitely better than those made in china?

there r items tat r also made in japan n face alot of quality issues (for example sigma lenses).

Last edited:
i dun believe that's the truth. if the same materials r used, the workers r equally skilled in both countries n the same strict quality control measures can be seen in the same factories in both japan and china in this case, how do u explain n substantiate ur statement earlier that the items made in japan r definitely better than those made in china?

there r items tat r also made in japan n face alot of quality issues (for example sigma lenses).

When did I say definately better I thought I say MIJ is better but the difference is not obvious.

To understand the difference, you need to understand the different culture of the two countries. 30 years ago, MIJ product is much much more better than MIC product. Now the gap is smaller but it's still there.

Once again, believe it or not, it's totally up to you. I just state my opinion. No need to argue.

MIJ doesn't mean the glass is made in Japan, by the way. MIJ means the final production process is done in Japan. This can mean the assembling of the glass and plastic/metal casing is done in Japan, and that will still be labelled as MIJ. Point is, parts come from everywhere, and are assembled in final country.

take MIJ and MIC car for comparsion

I believe the only thing left that makes MIC and MIJ price difference is just people's impression, believes and opinions. The intangible factors. Definitely not quality.

Hi
I have never seen a Nikon Lens made in China, I have seen Nikon lenses made in Thailand or Japan, may be China made lenses are cheaper. D 90 body is also made in Thailand.
Thanks
Alok

hi
i have never seen a nikon lens made in china, i have seen nikon lenses made in thailand or japan, may be china made lenses are cheaper. D 90 body is also made in thailand.
Thanks
alok

5018d, 3518g, 105vr mic

The significant difference? Of course there are! Nikon make more profit with China or Thailand factories then in Japan just like every other business entity you see in the world who wants to make more money and to please more consumer to buy. If you are talking in terms of the quality... never think that just because it remains being made in Japan that it will NOT drop. If one way to save cost and increase profit can not be used then another way would. Sometime I look back and I see people talk so much bad about China or Thailand or India made goods but you never see anyone complain about buying an iphone or ipad from China. ANd have anyone wonder why those big brands also never think why choose to make their world famous things things in China and spoil their reputation over time???

The truth is cheap labor aside, how hard is it to export their knowledge and specialize machinery that makes the key components of their camera system in China or Thailand or wherever? In even made in Japan cameras or lens, parts found inside them(like even a Nikon D3s camera) already contain chips or parts made in China, Taiwan or even Malaysia to begin with.

In these day and age, the quality of the product is not country sensitive as some people might have you THINK. A famous brand use to make things that last a long time before it breaks down but now their products last you just a few good years of use ( if you are lucky and careful) ..well now, is all about profit, marketing to keep you buying the latest and 'best'. That is the hard fact. So why think too much into it.. just spend those time taking more photos instead grappling about where your camera or whatever is coming from. How many here are so worry about quality when most are shooting some amateur family home photos or other shot that never ever makes it to some professional photo stock library and/or are you just a camera equipment collector who wants to be able to use this kind of information just to get abit more money when you resell your equipmen to buy more new ones to end up sell again and buying more "new and best"? Just go shoot something interesting with what you bought.

Last edited:
ligion324 said:
When did I say definately better I thought I say MIJ is better but the difference is not obvious.

To understand the difference, you need to understand the different culture of the two countries. 30 years ago, MIJ product is much much more better than MIC product. Now the gap is smaller but it's still there.

Once again, believe it or not, it's totally up to you. I just state my opinion. No need to argue.

In short, still no definite proof. No examples of MIJ lens vs MIC equivalent. You already said it's your opinion, meaning it's what you believe, doesn't mean it's the truth just cos you believe in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.