Nikon lens make in china

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there's still the 55 200 vr mic, I personally have it and I don't think build quality is very shabby compared to my mij tamron..

My personal experience with MIJ vs non-MIJ lenses:

- 50mm f/1.4D: Older MIJ version is definitely sharper and more contrast than the 2 newer MIC copies I've owned before, especially wide open.
- 18-200mm DX: Older MIJ VR1 has better contrast at the corners than newer MIT VR2. Both VR1 and VR2 have the same optical formula.

The above is just my experience, based on my actual comparison on a very limited sample size (ie 1 or 2 copies). I may have just been very lucky with the MIJ lenses, or unlucky with my non-MIJ lenses.

For what it's worth, Nikon is moving towards not only increased manufacturing outside Japan, but also increased sourcing of components locally (ie in Thailand and China). They are keen to emphasize that quality is not compromised by moving production out of Japan. The below is from their 2009 Annual Report (Pg 14):

"As the proportion of overseas sales rises, measures to deal with the strong yen take on increasing importance. Two of our main measures involve shifting more production to places like Thailand and China, and greater procurement of local components. We are developing excellent local staff, and are capable of the same quality control available in Japan, which allows us to manufacture products overseas at a level of quality comparable to that in Japan. We already design production tools overseas, and as technical standards rise the trend toward local procurement of components will strengthen. We will retain our Japanese factories, which will play a larger role as bases for technological advancement and improved manufacturing."

Personally, I admit that I prefer MIJ products (not just photographic items) in general. You may be able to easily relocate factories and replicate production lines out of Japan, but it is more difficult to replicate the mentality and attitude of Japanese workforce. I once enquired about the price of a D300 in Yodobashi in Tokyo. BEFORE the salesperson answered my question, the first thing he did was to bow his head and tell me apologetically "I am very sorry, this camera is not made in Japan". For me, this sums up the pride and confidence that the Japanese have in their own locally-made products. But this is not to say that all Japanese products are superior, there are sure to be exceptions! I'm just stating my general position. :)

I once enquired about the price of a D300 in Yodobashi in Tokyo. BEFORE the salesperson answered my question, the first thing he did was to bow his head and tell me apologetically "I am very sorry, this camera is not made in Japan". For me, this sums up the pride and confidence that the Japanese have in their own locally-made products. But this is not to say that all Japanese products are superior, there are sure to be exceptions! I'm just stating my general position. :)

Discussion aside, I will be impressed by that attitude. :)

But as a comsumer, I would not want to pay a higher price for nikon products (new piece) just because they are MIJ.

Making cameras and lenses require precision engineering, unlike making shoes or handbags. Precision manufacturing require precision equipment and skillful workers. Hence all Nikon high end products are still made in Japan. Only the low end or mid range products are going China and Thailand. I have 12 Nikkor lens and 2 Nikon bodies, from Japan, China, Thailand, there is definitely a difference in terms of quality from different countries. The non Japan ones may pass Nikon QC but they are just passable products, those work in Quality should know Quality should be from manufacturing and not from inspection.

Interesting to learn that 105VR had gone to China. Personally I don't think much about MIJ vs MIC vs MIT, although if presented with a choice at equivalent price MIJ is preferred. And so far most MIc and MIT lenses are native, as in they were never made in Japan.

Still, I believe optically there should be little difference, and any diff should be due to change in material source more than manufacturing process.

Truth is just truth. Believe it or not, it's totally up to you. I don't think I need to explain why, because I don't manage the factories in Japan or China.

Which explains why you think that is truth. My condolences.

BTW which phone and laptop are you using? Not iphone and mac book I hope.

Which explains why you think that is truth. My condolences.

BTW which phone and laptop are you using? Not iphone and mac book I hope.

I just say MIJ product is normally better than MIC. Does it mean I can't use MIC product? If I say Europeam cars are normally better than Japanese cars, then I cannot drive a Yoyata? That's so funny.

ligion324 said:
I just say MIJ product is normally better than MIC. Does it mean I can't use MIC product? If I say Europeam cars are normally better than Japanese cars, then I cannot drive a Yoyata? That's so funny.

Whatever rocks your boat buddy. ;)

Hmm, look at our handphones, they not made in Japan. However, nobody complain. Once you start to make an iphone of similiar model MIJ and MIC, pretty sure alot of people would want the MIJ already. Just my thoughts.

What other lenses are made in China? I know 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 50/1.4, 18-55, 55-200, 70-300VR. And recently 105VR.

Given the choice, I would go for MIJ than MIC. Although they go through the same inspection standard and assuming using the same materials, the workers play an important role in the assembly. MIJ assembly workers have better knowledge and experience in dealing and overcoming problems met on line. An example would be the Rollei cameras MIG vs MIS. Most users prefer MIG.

What other lenses are made in China? I know 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 50/1.4, 18-55, 55-200, 70-300VR. And recently 105VR.

hmm strange, my 18-55mm is made in thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.