Nikon Len

Gennie

Dec 1, 2009
Hi

Can someone advise me which len should i get if I were to take dolls and dogs photo, normally I love to take portait photo for my dolls and dogs.

Thanks

Gen

1. Af-s 35mm 1.8G
2. Af-s 50mm 1.8G
3. Af-s 40mm 2.8G (macro)
4. Af-s 85mm 1.8G
5. Af-s 28mm 1.8G

Actually your kit lens can do the job. But if you want prime you can take a look above.

Last edited:
Hi

Can someone advise me which len should i get if I were to take dolls and dogs photo, normally I love to take portait photo for my dolls and dogs.

Thanks

Gen
Kit lens 18-55

If not try fast prime lens. 35 or 50mm is fine..
If you like near working distance..you can consider macro lens.

Practically any lens can do that.

I can shoot with a ultra wide 8mm lens or a 600mm lens and still get the results you are asking for.

If you have to ask, just use a simple point and shoot or kit lens.

Hi

Thanks

Gen

It depends on the kind of results that you want to achieve.

I have seen some great creative photos of pets taken with a fisheye lens. But it's not suitable for those who don't like the distortion

Hi All

Thanks for your reply, Actually I am looking for those which the background can have blur vision, I am thinking of 50mm 1.4D or 35mm 1.8G,

I perfer a len which work like those click compact camera... just shot shot shot lol..

I am not an expert on taking photo, just like to have nice photo taken for my dogs.

Thanks you very much

Sorry i forget to add on , I am using D5000.

Hi All

Thanks for your reply, Actually I am looking for those which the background can have blur vision, I am thinking of 50mm 1.4D or 35mm 1.8G,

I perfer a len which work like those click compact camera... just shot shot shot lol..

I am not an expert on taking photo, just like to have nice photo taken for my dogs.

Thanks you very much

maybe you can take a look at 50mm 1.8g too. good iq good bokeh good price too (below $300)

can af on your d5000 too =)..

Hi All

Thanks you very much

Yes, large aperture primes like 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.8 can do it easily (IF you use it the right way and know what to do with it) but doesn't mean kit lens can't do it (blurring out the background), you just need to know how (depends on your DSLR learning journey - yes, you must learn if you want to achieve certain effects). It is not so simple as you see it - just buy a large aperture lens and you'll get what you want. At times it may seems that way, but not everything works like you want it to until you truly understand what each type of lenses can do.

Last edited:
However, sometimes its all about experimenting in the beginning during the learning journey. Alright - I'd echo some recommendations here, go for the 50/1.8G since it's cheap and good (a bit tight on D5000 though, you can't get a wider angle unless you step back further).

Understand why:
1) at times you can't focus on a subject at close proximity
2) you can make certain parts of the head sharp but the rest of the body still blur
3) subjects far way, you still can't blur out the background even though it's a large aperture lens...

Last edited:
So a portrait lens is needed.

And you need a portrait lens with inbuild AF (AF-S) to work on your body. Thus 50mm F/1.4D is out of question

Dogs are generally fast moving (well unless when you ask him to sit he really sits and not move), so I will advise against 35mm F/1.8G due to it's rather slow AF in my opinion

Your only option will be 50mm F/1.8G, Sigma 30mm F/1.4 HSM, 60mm Micro F/2.8G and the beefier 28mm F/1.8G, or zoom that does wonder like a Nikon 17-55 F/2.8G, Nikon/Sigma(HSM) 24-70 F/2.8.

As for dolls... Well the above should suffice. The prices are also in increasing order of magnitude.

Last edited:
I only advise you get the high power zoom on 18-300 VR can do all the rest you want to..

rain5533 said:
I only advise you get the high power zoom on 18-300 VR can do all the rest you want to..

If the 18-200mm was anything to go by 18-300mm is going to have slow af.

fmeeran said:
If the 18-200mm was anything to go by 18-300mm is going to have slow af.

Dunno how does the AF speed now..
BTW have to wait for after user review.

Should be not that worst than the 18-200mm VR2.

I own a D5000 and i do photograph animals.

Well, when it come to animals, depends on how tame and camera shy the Dog is, focal lenghts are different. (Dogs dont like the AF assist light or flash light from the camera)

For animals not familiar with you (ie. Not pets or not your pet), you'll probably need a lens that can reach 105mm. If you are only interested in Dogs that familiar with you, a 290 SGD 50mm f/1.8G lens is a good way to go.

The 50mm f/1.8G lens when mounted onto the D5000, equals to a 75mm focal length and will yield the Blur backgroud effect that you want and has a good reach.

You can use the Pet preset mode on the D5000 or use the following A mode (Aperture priority) setting

When using the 50mm f/1.8G
Set Aperture (The F number to between 2 and 2.8)
Set ISO to anything between 200 to 500 (Daylight with good sun shine) or ISO 640 to 1200 (Indoor lighting)
Turn off you AF assist lamp and set flash to no flash (optional but i normally do because the dogs i photographed so far hates the light from the camera)
Point the focus on the eyes of the Dog and shoot.

If you are very close to the dog, your F number has to be higher, Say F4 else the focus becomes very shallow and maybe only the eyes of the Dog is sharp and the snout is out of focus (blurred)

if i may suggest, the 60mm f/2 by tamron would be an excellent choice. the f/1.4 and zoom lenses are seldom optimized for close up work and you will end up with rather unsightly aberrations and distortion toward the edges. if that doesnt fit the budget, the 35 1.8 and 50 1.8G will work too