Nikon launches AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 macro lens

wah!!! thanks for sharing :thumbsup: if the price is in usd.. after converting its around 363sgd.. ^^

Last edited:
wa... the working distance is gonna be pretty short for macro since the FOV equivalent on full frame is 60mm only..

thx for sharing TS :)

wa... the working distance is gonna be pretty short for macro since the FOV equivalent on full frame is 60mm only..

Perfect for product photography though. ;)

Irvine said:

Would make a nice travel macro lens, no? The 105mm is kind of big to slug around.

Don't think suitable for bugs, 60mm is considered very short already let alone 40mm (unless you're talking about dead bugs).

Yup, suitable for product and portraiture (not necessarily for fashion and models).

food photographers / bloggers would love this too
at that price, the 55mm AIS is losing its appeal for DX users!

Last edited:
this is kinda close to the not too long ago launched 35 f1.8G lens which probably produced a photo with creamier bokeh and one full stop faster. Maybe the 40 f2.8 is for shooting the "valley and mountain" on the model face?? :p

Cheap entry into macro for DX users, can finally leave those extension rings or teleconverters behind.

But it might be wiser to still get the 60mm which allows usage continuity when one upgrades to FX eventually, and longer length is usually a better choice when comes to portraits and macro.

Good that it has CRC element and makes sense for DX users for lower cost macro lens.

Like I've said, portraiture is NOT always about models and pretty faces... :bsmilie: Although it's not hard to veer towards that thinking. Think people who are into streets - PEOPLE (old folks, children, etc) on the streets, ANIMALS on the streets, Food on the stre... I mean tables... etc etc. And you can always shoot occasional flowers/plants/fruits etc etc etc... Multiple uses, and less challenging than f/1.4 (you don't always use f/1.4 anyways).

Actually, 40mm is on DX is EXACTLY 60mm on Fx... FOV of which is less tighter compared to AF-S 60mm on DX! But since I already have the 60mm, I doubt I'd get this lens - more for people who would stick to DX for their light-weightness and crop advantage.

me too i find a little too short for macro and a Fstop is just 2.8 compare to 35mm1.8 or 50mm1.8
was hoping nikon to make some DX F1.4 lens and maybe a 60mm prime and a 20mm prime haha

With the rise of blogshops, this might be a suitable 'budget' lens for a photog trying to do product photography of small items of jewellery, toys, coins, stamps, etc. Always felt that the 35/1.8DX didn't quite focus close enough for such use.
This guy focuses to 0.1_ m, which is fantastic.
Definitely not for bug-chasers though ;)

With the rise of blogshops, this might be a suitable 'budget' lens for a photog trying to do product photography of small items of jewellery, toys, coins, stamps, etc. Always felt that the 35/1.8DX didn't quite focus close enough for such use.
This guy focuses to 0.1_ m, which is fantastic.
Definitely not for bug-chasers though ;)

Wuahahahah! I can definitely feel a BBB com'n (from you)... :bsmilie:

this is kinda close to the not too long ago launched 35 f1.8G lens which probably produced a photo with creamier bokeh and one full stop faster. Maybe the 40 f2.8 is for shooting the "valley and mountain" on the model face?? :p

The 35mm Maximum reproduction ratio 0.16x this one is 1x so you cannot compare this way