Nikon L37C filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
Got one UV filter from Nikon. This is the only one I got. All the other filters I have are from Hoya, all HMCs.

Just by looking at the reflections, the HMCs have all got much less reflection than the Nikon. What does it mean? Nikon filter got less coating, like only one coating? Nikon's brochure says that it is multi-layer coated. I might be missing something. Is there any other criteria to see that Nikon or B+W are better? Durability of the coating? Or just becos they are more Branded than Hoya?

For me, the HMC is good enough, but I wonder if the SuperHMC could even be better, more durable and only 0.3% reflection! WoW! Maybe, I should get one to see how it is, if it's not that very expensive, compared with the HMC.

I understand that hardly anyone used the Nikon filters, becos too expensive and very, very slow moving. B+W might be somewhat more popular, but I do not see the point.

I am using both of them, Nikon L37c and HOYA SuperHMC dia 77mm. Their price different by about $30+ ..... :bsmilie:

I recently got the 2 filters...
Hoya 67mm HMC UV filter for $35
Hoya 52mm normal UV filter for $15

Have a feeling I was overcharged.....

Any ideas....?

Try place your filters on top of a plain A4 paper, noticed the colors!

B+W and your Nikon should not have any color diff

Hoya ones will have slight yellowish tint

Not to mention... if you place on a piece of white paper with words... the words would somewhat clearer than that of the normal Hoya UV.

However I've not done this test with the Hoya HMCs or SuperHMC.

Anybody want to verify the HMCs quality?

smallaperture said:
I understand that hardly anyone used the Nikon filters, becos too expensive and very, very slow moving.

No not exactly... I only uses Nikon Filters... Now have the following:

3x Nikon 77mm L37C
3x Nikon 62mm L37C
1x Nikon 72mm L37C
3x Nikon 52mm L37C
1x Nikon 52mm Soft 1
1x Nikon 62mm Soft 1
1x Nikon 72mm Soft 1
1x Nikon 77mm CIR-PL1
1x Nikon 77mm CIR-PL2

Besides the above, I just sold off 1x Nikon 82mm L37C, 1x Nikon 62mm L37C & 1x Nikon 52mm L37C together with my sales of my ex beloved lenses... :(

Do you know, Nikon Soft filters are rated the Best Soft in all the Soft filters range... B+W, Cokin, Hoya are all diffusers but not soft as the actually is designed to diffuse the light to simulate a soft effect which in most cases, results in blur effect as if due to hand shake.

Also the Nikon CIR-PL filters is rated no. 2 in all CIR-PL filters. The best CIR-PL is B+W Kaesemann, followed by Nikon CIR-PL, than thirdly is the B+W Cir-PL filter which we often see it selling in CP. For Kaesemann filter, it is not available locally due to the steep price. Thus in Singapore, Nikon CIR-PL is the best.

Hope this clears some of your doubt that ppl chooses a better filter is not just because of the brand. It's just that since most of us already invested so much on a PRO lens, why use a cheapo filter which may affect the picture quality.

Yeah, I know people do not pay big bucks for nothing. Matter of individual preference. IMO, for any pro lens, I think the minimum to go for is the HMC, which is the cheapest amongst the big boys like B+W and Nikon.

Anyone know where to get those SuperHMC with 5 coatings, and only 0.3% reflection?

smallaperture said:
Yeah, I know people do not pay big bucks for nothing. Matter of individual preference. IMO, for any pro lens, I think the minimum to go for is the HMC, which is the cheapest amongst the big boys like B+W and Nikon.

Anyone know where to get those SuperHMC with 5 coatings, and only 0.3% reflection?

Let me know which dia you wants... I got contact with Hoya distributor in Singapore. So if you really keen, we can starts a MO here to keep price at afforable range.

But do bear in mind that SHMC is normally selling $20-$30 cheaper than the 'big boys' like B+W or Nikon... So would'nt you want to add that little extra for the branded?

mm......i now only use b+w mrc & rodenstock filters for UV......had a b+w 67 cir pl only......b+w is tougher than most brands when u drop ur lens at an angle....and easier to wipe with a lens coth..... ;)

roti said:
mm......i now only use b+w mrc & rodenstock filters for UV......had a b+w 67 cir pl only......b+w is tougher than most brands when u drop ur lens at an angle....and easier to wipe with a lens coth..... ;)

Agreed... :thumbsup:

The better brand filters are always easier to clean and will definitely stand a higher chance of surviving an accident drop.

Not to mention that the coating last longer...

roti said:

Yeah, it is true, those HMCs are very, very difficult to clean, compared with my spectacle lenses, just wipe with ordinary tissue paper, and last 3 years or more with everyday cleaning. As an amateur, at the very most I can the filter like once a month or so.

Understand the B+W got brass rings which are tough and heavy. I thought filters are the sacrificial crumple zone of the lens, so that it would take all the shock in case of a fall, absorbing all the impulse, and hopefully your precious lens and camera might be saved. In case of an impact, the deceleration difference could be as much as 20 times based on a simple back of the envelop calc.

sykestang said:
Let me know which dia you wants... I got contact with Hoya distributor in Singapore. So if you really keen, we can starts a MO here to keep price at afforable range.

But do bear in mind that SHMC is normally selling $20-$30 cheaper than the 'big boys' like B+W or Nikon... So would'nt you want to add that little extra for the branded?

Goodie, I am interested in the following: SHMC 67, 77 and 82 one each. Thanks in advance. BTW, any idea if it's much easier to clean than the HMC, which is awlfully difficult to clean. I still prefer the aluminum ring of Hoya, as the crumple zone, in case of a drop from eye-level. Brass is too tough.

Since we are at the topic of filters....anyone tried MARUMI?

I tried the Hoya SMC, SHMC and both were horribly difficult to clean once you have fingerprints, etc. No matter how I clean, it will never be clean and will always have a layer of oil/streak, etc. The B+W MRC never gave me such problems.

Regards
CK

I think just for 30 bucks more, if I were to buy a filter today, I will go for the B+W becos, I do not want to spend my time trying to clean finger prints or other oily or greasy stuff on a difficult to clean HMC or SHMC.

Problem is that all my lenses are already equiped with HMC. What to do? Sell them away? Or live with it? This is what I call frivolous spending - something good to have, but not really essential. For that matter, many things in photo or for tht matter other hobbies are not that essential. It all depends on what you think - a need or a want for you to classify. ;p :bsmilie:

Just thinking aloud - when I buy my next lens, I would go for the B+W straightaway. As for the current lenses, well, they are afterall protected.

pity.....singapore never sell rodenstock filters here.......their are as good.....wonder if any one tried before....

just curious, what's the difference between a B + W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Coated Glass Filter from one that is not Kaesemann and how it compares to nikon's cpl. heard nikon's cpl only rob 1/3 stop, anyone can gif me more info?

also, what's the difference between skylight 1a and 1b?

~MooEy~

The difference between kasseman and non-kasseman is the weather seal to protect the sandwiched PL film between the rotating glass surface.

Optical wise they are of the same quality.

The difference between skylight 1a and 1b is that 1b is more pinkisk and to be use in door to correct the blue cast in the bright shadow area.

ic, thanks for the info :)

~MooEy~

Status
Not open for further replies.