Nikon junk *****s up on a job.... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

choen

Nov 24, 2003
the mind
www.choen.com
About 10 days ago, in the middle of a shoot, the AFS motor in the 17-35 stopped working.

This week, Saturday, the sensor in the d100 junk acquired artistic aspirations and gave my pictures vertical red streaks (jpeg fine, iso 1000 onwards) More than half the photos I shot are now ruined and unusable for publication.

**images removed, please repost those without the inappropriate languages in your watermark**

Perhaps it's a design feature I thought, maybe the sensor got hot from 5 hours of shooting. But after turning it off for 3 hours, the vertical streaks got even worse, in the sense they've spread like chicken pox to other parts of the frame.

This is my shelf, just shot it.

**images removed, please repost those without the inappropriate languages in your watermark**

I am going to have to be very creative with an explanation when I see the paymaster on Monday. My shoots tomorrow will now have to be cancelled unless the clients will accept film (and at my loss).

Nikon's giving me ****, again and again.

ps: having server problem for pictures. Switching it to another server.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Sorry to hear it man.

Maybe the camera wants to be a make up artist.

ooo Look! It's Scarface!

sDSC_00242.jpg

(100% crop, iso 1600, f3 1/180)

Ooo, I see Northern Lights!

sDSC_0261.jpg

You boys who want to go on trying to justify this (e.g. choen is a crap photographer who doesnt understand the beautiful piece of engineering etc) please do. I don't care.

Others, let's have an objective discussion about this.

let's not make one example of a camera to be a generalization of all the cameras. maybe it's time to invest in a digital backup for really important professional jobs. :)

choen, keep us updated. I think that most of us would be very interested to hear what Nikon has to say about this. In the meantime, perhaps some kind clubsnap person might want to point you towards where you can rent another camera until your D100 is fixed or replaced?

I see there is constant lines across the images, isit the CCD problem ? :think: Get Nikon to repair and see what's wrong, i wanna know ... Sorry dude about your cam breakdown .. :(

It is the CCD (that's what I was refering to when I used the word sensor).

Guess what. Good news. The streaks now also appear at asa ratings of 250 upwards- and this is confirmed by just via eyeballing the display on camera.

Alright, this whole disaster has been keeping me up all night. I really should sleep. All work cancelled.

quick amendment.

iso 200 is affected as well.

The ladyboss at the minilab is going to look at me funny afterwards when I clear up her cabinet off fast films. She would never believe it when I tell her that the Nikon's broken down... again.

is it true that nikon gets sony to manufacture their CCDs?
if so, maybe you can blame them both :bsmilie:

Woah, this is the first time I see something like this happening. Pray tell, what did you mean by AGAIN?

Time for a back up body say D70 no? :p

**** happens.
Maybe its time you invest in backup cam or move to Canon ?
since you said your luck dun go well with Nikon.
All ppl that I know making a living off photographer always have 1 back up cam [ some even have 2 :D]

What's a $2000 assignment worth if spoilt against investing in another D70 for backup.

I was shooting sport event from 10 am til 5pm last week in cold Sydney weather [15C or so] and my D1H still survive * touch wood * :sweat:

=bob=

how long have u had the D100? if its less then 2 yrs, i think its kind of a worry for most D100 owners. my F80 gave me a lot of problems too & nikon was telling me its because the camera is now dependent on electronics thats why spoilt so fast. i ask the guy: does it mean i should not buy any nikon digi cam? that shut him off big time.

i m keeping away from D100 cos its the same body as F80, that relates to nightmares for me. just hanging on to see whats the next wave of successors before i jump.

i fully can feel your pain bro... for i had been there & done that too. :cry:

Knee jerk reactions. One Nikon spoilt means Nikon is hopeless.

Please lah. You think the QC for any company is 100% reliable? Consumer products QC is based on sampling, right? Doesn't guarantee each and every single camera is defect free, just that it's statistically insignificant, if I remember my stats lessons.

choen, I do not understand what particular 'objective discussion' you want to have. Perhaps you want to know if others have had similar experiences? If so, CSers, please share your stories.

It's really unfortunately you were one in thousands to be stuck with a fatally (for the camera, that is) faulty D100. i agree with chaotic's comment. Send the camera back to Nikon and see what they say.

kongg said:
Maybe its time u switched systems??Maybe to Canon or Minolta??Surely by switching, all your problems will be resolved.

Hahaha... and let's say choen is sway enough to get a dud camera of a different brand. That brand also hopeless, right?

As for your 17-35 AFS lens not working, I dunno what to say lah. Is it still faulty? Get it checked when you get your D100 serviced too.

Well he/she is unhappy lah ...
Anyone will be too if $$$ assignments suddenly go down the /etc/null :D

Just see what Nikon has to say ...
btw .. I can't see the pix leh ... if white lines on the result ... I think in prosumer range digicam ... its due to the CCD gets sunbath a lot :bigeyes:

=bob=

acroamatic said:
choen, I do not understand what particular 'objective discussion' you want to have. Perhaps you want to know if others have had similar experiences? If so, CSers, please share your stories.

my two cents...if a piece of equipment fails on a 'pro' shoot, there's really no one to blame but oneself. for not ensuring an adequate back-up or tech support is available "in cases of emergency", and in general terms, for the level of care and maintenance accorded to the equipment, and for just having plain bad luck. equipment are just equipment afterall, and they break down, just like humans do. humans take MC, too. i have had a F90x shutter mechanism break down on me before, of all occasions - a ROM day shoot, and not realising the problem until the pictures came back. at least, with the instant image review of digital cameras now, you know straight away if something's wrong, and remedy the problem to the best of your means. so there's really no excuse to compain.

that said, i sympathise with the thread's starter plight. i understand the pain of loss of income due to equipment failure kekeke.

Wow.... *sweats*

I guess really gotta get a backup digital body (or 2 of them!) since your clients don't accept film. That's why i just got a F90x. Better to buy a D70 rather than penalty fees. :confused: It's only 1.65k for a D70 body. Heard abt other horror stories like shutter giving up in the midst of it etc....
Good luck.

Yes, it is prudent to have backup for important assignment. I do have similar experience in my work - not photography though.

The problem is: you do not know it has failed until it is too late - and this may be choen case. I'm not sure that problem can be detected in the camera LCD and you obviously will not upload your shot into the computer in the middle on an event you are shooting!

My opinion: this camera reliablity is in question now. Since it is a professional tool - better get it change (to a new one) before it tarnishes owner reputation and by that time it will be really too late to change.

the advancement of technology is as such....we are always squeezing more into the same amount of space, given the complexity of such devices, the possibility of failure is much higher, buying a "lemon" is not that uncommon anymore.

Wow.. I Feel sorry for you! :( time to invest in a backup system yeah~ =)

oh btw.. i bet someone will be coming in to flame :p his nick starts with e!

Sad to hear that your camera is giving you alot of problems.
Luckily enough for me, been shooting with my Leica M6 for about 4 years liao and it had never let me down before maybe due to fully mechnical design.

Quality control is obsolete, controling at the end of the process is simply not good enough.
Quality assurance is somewhat better, ensuring you have the quality you want.
Even better is quality management, where the cost factor comes in, like deciding whether you want to have like Rolls Royce, Mercedes or Suzuki or Proton. Or in photo speak, Leica, Nikon or Cosina. Now, we have 6 Sigma, even for bargain basement stuff like Enzer, Akira or Wearnes. If your equipment breaks down prematurely, it is like striking toto. But 2 twice a week, people do strike toto, or there is a cascade draw. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

In an assignment, quality means having checked batteries, having spares, camera backup, and remember predictive maintenance. Like car, needs servicing every 10,000km, for camera, servicing every 2 years recommended for pro equipment that is used so extensively. As an amateur, sometimes, I don't even touch my camera for one full month. But that is rare.

Nikon cameras have been to the moon and back. No need to doubt Nikon or for that matter Canon. Somehow disaster happen to those who are somewhat careless with their gear. Just some food for view or for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.