Nikon junk *****s up on a job.... again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi choen,

I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. However, in retrospective, I don't think you are putting up your case objectively.

First of all, one has to realise the fact that electronics do fail. As for where and when, nobody can tell. No amount of QC is going to give you a definite answer on when it will fail or to whom it will fail on. This is the case, REGARDLESS of brand. Period.

The option of Nikon Service Center is available, such damages can be covered by warranty. Do accept the fact that your D100 is out-of-service right now, send it in for servicing asap.

There are some who came and will be coming into this thread to make silly comments on how great their system is, and perhaps even to the extend of asking you to do a switch but the fact is, I can ascertain you that non of them will be true nor sincere enough to promise you a defective-free-system-when-you-are-out-of-luck.

The forum is a place for us all to share our experiences with our system. It is however, not a place for us to vent our personal frustrations on something that cannot be anticipated by anyone. So let us all help to make this a better place shall we?

Good shooting and best of luck to you! :)

After discussion with the administration team, I am re-opening this thread for additional discussions so long as they remain civilised.

To choen, I had forwarded this message to Nikon Singapore customer service department for feedback purposes.

Reopening this thread.

How can a pro do a job without any contingencies? If the primary equipment breaks down and the person is unable to carry on his job. Is it the equipment fault, or the unprofessionalism of the person being paid to deliever at fault?

Equipment breakdown happens. I am sure everybody knows this fact and accepts it. Photo opportunities might only happen once and if you are paid to record it. That importance becomes magnified many times.

I do feel you deserve more for your D100. But your whining about no being able to deliever is due to your own fault. If you ruin your reputation because of this incident, it's simply because you refuse to invest in a backup before selling your services. I other words, you deserve the ruined reputation.

Cmon guys, give him a break,he is probably trying to warn us or just venting his frustration. (Guess we all do that). I am not a pro or anythingy... but I worked with professional photographer quite often. The fact is... 50% of them dun usually bring a back up (well... as far a can see lah) partly becoz they need to bring other gears... Choen could be one of those photographer... Some photographer would bring a back up body, essentially, they serve different functions actually...a 645 with digital back and S2 pro as back up, but from the way I look at it, S2 Pro is essentially for a more mobile shoot... (well, ofcoz it can act as a back up) but frankly, i doubt they have as a back up in mind.... (compact digital cam? hmm cmon... your client paid you thousandsof $, and you gonna give them consumer quality? i doubt so mate.) Frankly, most photographer

Lets face it.. **** happens... from body to lens to media (especially Microdrive) some experience it, some don't... perhaps its just batch problem who knows. Had a photographer that lost his files for oversea shoot on his MD... guess he too will have alot of explaining to do... and I do believed he cant blame it on the MD, client will nvr accept that... well.. bad luck...what can we do other that damage control at that point of time....

The bottom line is... how much preventive measures can we have that wil not compromise efficiency....

ANYWAY.. chill out guys..

I am not a pro either. Those who charge for a fee can give all the excuses they want. But the fact that they have no contigency plan is proof of their unprofessionalism. No ifs, no buts can save the day. I can hardly see why a client who paid to see professional shots will accept the end product from P&S cameras.

Skills and equipment aside. A true professional will do his job in a responsible way.

Minoxman said:
Send it back and go get a Canon.

there have been reports about Canon CMOS sensors with 'red lines' appearing like in this case. However, there has been nothing official about its cause. In this case, the lines appeared after heavy, continuous use... wondering if that is a factor.

The reality is that there are many freelancers/semi-pros going around with only 1 digital body (plus backup film body) because of the start-up cost of DSLRs. On the other hand, they charge much cheaper than pros who own multiple 1D/1Ds (taking the wedding photo scene as an example)

As a client, you get what you pay for. If the client insists that the photographer's backup body must be DSLR as well, he should be prepared to pay the premium :)

gadrian said:
What would you have him do.. throw SGD7K (D100+MD-D100, 17-35 and SB800) into the dustbin.. the advice to have him send it back to get it fixed is a sound bit of advice. It is after all still under warranty. And this could seriously be a flawed camera..

And after which if he should be further uncomfortable to trust the cam.. then sell it.. thats to be seen.. I can understand that since this cam has failed him miserable.. it will be kinda taboo to continue to use it.. lets say if he wants to sell it.. dont you think he has to get it fixed first?

Geezz man.. just read what avatar had to say.. if you have nothing constructive to say.. then.. chill dude..

Choen.. really sorry to hear that the cam keeps dying on you..

Well said mate! Yup we need to get the camera fixed. Do let us know what Nikon has to say.

All the more to trust the Nikon Service people that they are able to put the CCD back to what it was intended to do from the start.

Then you would have every single right to tell people like me that Nikon support staff is really good. :blah:

After spending so much money, I'm sure that you do not want to change systems. Hang in there for a while if possible and until you cannot live with it any more then make the change.

Other than that, do not change.

bernards said:
I am not a pro either. Those who charge for a fee can give all the excuses they want. But the fact that they have no contigency plan is proof of their unprofessionalism. No ifs, no buts can save the day. I can hardly see why a client who paid to see professional shots will accept the end product from P&S cameras.

Skills and equipment aside. A true professional will do his job in a responsible way.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Agreed!

As the old saying goes, "... a poor carpenter blames on his tools..." :rolleyes:

sykestang said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Agreed!

As the old saying goes, "... a poor carpenter blames on his tools..." :rolleyes:
Careful there, you might get branded as another Gopal :bsmilie:

bernards said:
How can a pro do a job without any contingencies? If the primary equipment breaks down and the person is unable to carry on his job. Is it the equipment fault, or the unprofessionalism of the person being paid to deliever at fault?

Equipment breakdown happens. I am sure everybody knows this fact and accepts it. Photo opportunities might only happen once and if you are paid to record it. That importance becomes magnified many times.

I do feel you deserve more for your D100. But your whining about no being able to deliever is due to your own fault. If you ruin your reputation because of this incident, it's simply because you refuse to invest in a backup before selling your services. I other words, you deserve the ruined reputation.

I'm not sure if you read what he said, but he did mention that the defects weren't exactly noticeable on his LCD preview (lighting conditions was also a contributing factor). A backup body (or even 100 of 'em for that matter) wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Btw, I'm pretty certain that he's aware that ultimately, the onus is on him to deliver the images - but that's not the crux here.

Honestly, instead of pointing fingers, let's just help him to move on.

Anyway.. Choen really waiting to hear what Nikon says is the problem.. And how Nikon Malaysia fares in this service situation..

Keep us posted..

lets just make a guess.

my guess is that the main PCB is dead, not so much on the CCD fault.

u wouldn't know how choen feels until u get it right in your face, man. so lets not point any fingers at anyone except nikon. why? simply because they don't make cameras like they used to anymore. i have not heard a FM2, FE2, FA or even the F801 went down in less than 2 yrs, let alone his D100 is bot in mar 04.

my F80 has its main PCB changed, winding spool changed, penta mirror changed & batt lid changed all in less than a year. average out: every 3 months pay nikon a visit. :cry:

very fustrating u know? u paid so much for a camera & u get to utilise the warranty so very often. if u live in pasir ris, even more jia lat. lets hope all will go well with his repair.

btw not sure if nikon went to the moon but canon sure did with their F1 on a modified winder that can go 14fps. amazing! maybe NASA can consider a proper film video camera next time with that kind of hi frame rate. :)

*NOTE:this is a general statement.. and may border on off-topic.. ;)

more often then not.. I see camera's falling apart not because of manufacturing defaults or shortfalls.. but due to poor handling.. my heart goes out too all that run into this problem.. coz it is money hard earn.. sweat and all.. There are also occasions of Murphy's law.. and yes.. recently there have been more "lemons" floating around..

and it becomes a great inconvenience.. especially when this equipment are your bread and butter.. nothing today is manufactured like they were used too..

Some examples..Sansui.. Grundig..they made stuff that never broke.. look where both these companies are today.. Sansui has been fortunate to diversify.. but Grundig is almost non existent except in the EU now..

As for Choen's problem.. I do believe it could be the PCB board as you had suggested.. coz not only did his images get messed up.. but his AF mech didnt work earlier for his 17-35.. and from what i know.. he was also have massive problems with WB and metering..

It could be one major problem.. really hope none of us have to face such pain..

I think its better to say that on behalf of everyone in CS, we sympathise with you and hope your camera gets serviced by Nikon and you can get back shooting with no problems again...

To all CSers,
Please be constructive and civil in this thread, we do not want to degenerate this thread any further.

As for uncalled for remarks, my advise is to steer clear of them, the mods will take care of any troublemakers.

/moderator mode OFF

On a personal note,
"The troll is a being of sub-reality, its existence is reliant on the constant feeding". Ignore it, stop feeding it and let it sink into its own oblivion of self-deceit.

/moderator mode ON

After discussion with the administration team, I am re-opening this thread for additional discussions so long as they remain civilised.

To choen, I had forwarded this message to Nikon Singapore customer service department for feedback purposes.

Reopening this thread.

Yup. That is the correct thing to do.

But you should contact Nikon in KL instead cos it's probably nearer for choen.

We have pruned off the OT posts, attacks and any unnecessary comments to a thread in Garbage - please feel free to continue OT discussion there and DO NOT post OT stuff in here.

I don't see that much else to discuss. We're all sympathetic to the threadstarter (well, almost all of us) for losing his pictures, but there really isn't much he can do at this point. Send the camera back in, and see what Nikon have to say. And perhaps consider seriously in a backup body since your photos are a source of income

Good luck!
GYR

Status
Not open for further replies.