Nikon 'G' Lens durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin89

Aug 9, 2011
Hey everyone,

I got myself a 85mm 1.8G and wanted to know how durable is the in-built focus motor.

Just afraid that one day it'll go kaput (of course not any time soon) and I'll lose the AF function of the lens.

Thanks for your patience to reply such a noobie question!

Hey everyone,

I got myself a 85mm 1.8G and wanted to know how durable is the in-built focus motor.

Just afraid that one day it'll go kaput (of course not any time soon) and I'll lose the AF function of the lens.

It'll break down once the warranty ends.

Serious

*serious face emoticon*

It'll break down once the warranty ends.

Serious

*serious face emoticon*

unfortunately that is the sole aim of reliability engineering - to estimate the % rate of failure for x-duration of guarantee/warranty period

Perhaps you should be asking this in the Nikon section, rather than the general section where Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc etc etc users will scratch their heads and say "How should we know?"

all things will break down soon ......... or later.

what you need to do is make full use of it before it break down
than make full of use it again after fixing it.

till the day it RIP (no longer serviceable).

worry about when it will break down is meaningless and useless.

thread moved.

It will fail when it has to fail. Until then, I think you should either use to your heart's content or... Err... Just wait for it to die?

What difference does it make it ppl tell u it's going to last 1 year or 10 years? U have already bought the lens right? What other options do u have, buy a D lens? Buy a sigma? Change system?

TS, just shoot with the lens you have. if it breaks down, send it for servicing.

simple as that.

the more you worry, the more you'll keep it in your dry cabinet and not use it.

your camera and lenses are made for a purpose.. don't let them go to waste

we should all shoot legacy primes. they've been around for decades, rugged construction, fixed focal length means less parts to break down, better price and better image quality and build quality.

i love my all metal legacy primes. old is gold

there are so many things that can go wrong with electronics and even mechanical parts.

like so many said, no need to worry so much. enjoy the lens until such time.

Appreciate the replies given by all!

It's not that I'm afraid of the lens breaking down and thus leaving it in the dry cabinet leaving it untouched.

I use it occassionally but I did consider what bro trd said, changing to a D lens, for a somewhat longer-lasting investment.

I do plan on using the G lens until either the lens or I move on in life, no qualms about it.

This is just a question at the back of my head about the focus motor in the lens and how long can it last.

Don't need any more sarcastic replies. :)

I guess you are essentially referring to "AF-S" lenses, coz 'G' is referring to the fact that the lens does not have an aperture ring.

If you use an AF-S lens, you rely on the lens' AF motor. If you use AF lens, you rely on the camera body's AF motor.
It's a matter of which motor is more durable ;)

I'm not so sure how durable is the 85mm F1.8G but I've some good news for you.
Even if the motor gets spoiled:
1) You can still send it to NSC and get it fixed
2) the lens uses a compact SWM so it shouldn't cost a lot (compared to those lens that use the ring type SWM) to get it replaced
3) Another option is to get a 2nd hand kit lens ( get those with fungus or dropped lens) and "transplant" the motor
4) Recently I tried to refurbish the motor itself. Yes! the SWM can be fixed

Shin89,

I'm probably offside (out of point) but I understand this AFS 85mm f1.8 to be a very good lens. May it bring you many beautiful photographs.

Warm regards.

Hey everyone,

This question...is very tricky and can be complicated.
You are holding a electronic item. Same like any other item in your house example Tv, fan, mp3, camera body, handphone..laptop and etc. Eventually they will slowly start to give you problems. Nobody know when and probably nobody want it to happen. :)
But...they will.. in matter of time. sadly.

So..instead of worrying..just use it and appreciate when its still in working condition. Dont make things difficult for yourself..hvnt happen and u are already worried..thats really not right. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Use it often and it will live longer....

Just like human on exercises. Did you notice that electronics that people keep and store most of the time, always have got a much shorter life or breaks down prematurely?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.