Nikon for the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amazonian Princess

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum.
I recently received a nikon digtal camera from a friend and i'm not very sure how to use it.

I think it will be useful for taking pictures of my friends when we go down to the beach and maybe during our beach volley ball games. The girls would just love to have their pictures taken.

Do i need to buy anything before i can use it for the beach?
i would also like to hang it somewhere ... any one know where i can buy cute little hanging stuff that'll go with pink?

oh ... i've seen some guys with big nikon cameras sitting at spinelles the other day .. while i was waiting for my friend... maybe if they can help me out .. thanks guys :)

Dunno if this is the right forum to post

Amazonian Princess said:
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum.
Hi and Welcome

Amazonian Princess said:
oh ... i've seen some guys with big nikon cameras sitting at spinelles the other day .. while i was waiting for my friend... maybe if they can help me out .. thanks guys :)

Haha, you must have seen the famous nikon council in action. It would help if you could identify you camera model. If not, just bring it down to one of the seed meeting or nikon council. I'm sure you find help there.

Just shoot as per normal, nothing to worry about.

Which day were you there at Spinelli's? Why didn't you drop over and say hi? ;)

tell u wat amazonian, why don't we all go to sentosa and shoot together? :D

basically there's no diff in handling the cam, just be careful i guess since sand and water wouldn't be nice to ur equipment.

anyway i'll be at sentosa on 7 aug.. snapping away at the beach too. got some frens playing beach volleyball, but i can't join them becos of injury. :cry:

Amazonian Princess said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum.
I recently received a nikon digtal camera from a friend and i'm not very sure how to use it.

I think it will be useful for taking pictures of my friends when we go down to the beach and maybe during our beach volley ball games. The girls would just love to have their pictures taken.

Do i need to buy anything before i can use it for the beach?
i would also like to hang it somewhere ... any one know where i can buy cute little hanging stuff that'll go with pink?

Dunno if this is the right forum to post

I wish i've frens like urs, sure dont mind receiving gifts like that, be it nikon, canon, sony etc.... :bsmilie:

My experience at the beach is just to be careful with ur equipment, so if u are not shooting, just put in back into the case/bag, speaking of which you can wear it round your neck (if its small n light) or sling it at the waist like a cowboy's gun holster :think: . Even the wind carries fine particles of sand in it, so be sure to clean it when u get home, you dont want to let all the salt n grime accumulate :nono: what with your regular trips to the beach.

Above all, beware of theft when u make ur cam too obvious to the public at large. Anyone might just pinch it from ur bags when u guys are at your game.....

JP Empire said:
My experience at the beach is just to be careful with ur equipment... Even the wind carries fine particles of sand in it...
you should always be on the look out for theft. :bigeyes:

agree with JP on the point about the sand. i was at tangalooma (australia), which is like an island of sand. the particles there were really REALLY fine, which is really nice to feel and sink your feet in, but hell for optical and precision equipment, as it can find it's way through all sorts of nooks and crannies :nono:

after taking a couple of shots, you could here grinding sounds as the lens closed... sigh... had to send it in to service when i came back to s'pore. :cry:

some parts of santosa has it's sand imported, some of which are also rather fine. so please do be careful when using your camera. hope you have fun!! :cool:

Cactus jACK said:
some parts of santosa has it's sand imported, some of which are also rather fine. so please do be careful when using your camera. hope you have fun!! :cool:

Yea cactus, truths and then more truths, the majority of the sand at sentosa is bought/imported from indonesia, while the remaining 0.001% gets here FOC taking a hitch from the winds :faint:

In any case, Amazonian Princess (why not Tropicana Princess? ;) ), invest in a camera bag/case if u dont already have one. And take good care of your gift :thumbsup:

Poon said:
Hi and Welcome

Haha, you must have seen the famous nikon council in action. It would help if you could identify you camera model. If not, just bring it down to one of the seed meeting or nikon council. I'm sure you find help there.

Hi There :)

i thikn my friend bought me the nikon 3700 ... that is what it says on the box anyway

sorry for my late reply ... was overseas attending my gf's wedding...
what is a seed meeting ??
and who are the nikon council?...

I kinda getting very fond of my digicam and i bring it everywhere with me ...
its like fighting for space with the rest of the things in my handbag/gymbag..

are u using a nikon too?

nice to know u poon

espn said:
Just shoot as per normal, nothing to worry about.

Which day were you there at Spinelli's? Why didn't you drop over and say hi? ;)

Hi there :)

Can't remember which day was that... but i saw a group of men talking at spinelles with some big nikon cameras in front of them...
were you one of them?

if you describe yourself .. the next time i go there for coffee with my friend we can join tables ... they love to meet new people...

:)

jOhO said:
tell u wat amazonian, why don't we all go to sentosa and shoot together? :D

basically there's no diff in handling the cam, just be careful i guess since sand and water wouldn't be nice to ur equipment.

anyway i'll be at sentosa on 7 aug.. snapping away at the beach too. got some frens playing beach volleyball, but i can't join them becos of injury. :cry:

Thanks for the offer Joho ...

i probably won't be aorund at sentosa on the day that you mention as i'll be away ... do take care of your injury...

i wonder if i can get any sort of plastic thingy for my camera... it'll be fun to take pictures of my friends splashing water at each other once in a while...

we normally go to the beach when its not too crowded ... a bunch of noisy girls attracts way too much attention ;)

JP Empire said:
I wish i've frens like urs, sure dont mind receiving gifts like that, be it nikon, canon, sony etc.... :bsmilie:

My experience at the beach is just to be careful with ur equipment, so if u are not shooting, just put in back into the case/bag, speaking of which you can wear it round your neck (if its small n light) or sling it at the waist like a cowboy's gun holster :think: . Even the wind carries fine particles of sand in it, so be sure to clean it when u get home, you dont want to let all the salt n grime accumulate :nono: what with your regular trips to the beach.

Above all, beware of theft when u make ur cam too obvious to the public at large. Anyone might just pinch it from ur bags when u guys are at your game.....
my friend is just being sweet ... i guess :)

thanks for the advice JP Empire ... i would prefer to wear it round my neck ... cos i really can't find a place to sling it at the waist... (i supposed u Do know what we girls wear to the beach) ... it'll not do justice to the bikini .. heheehe

is there a plastic case for the camera .. so it'll be protected from the elements? what do i clean it with after the beach?

i supposed if i hang it on my neck it'll be fine .. only remove it when i lie down to tan :)

with regards to the name .. i've always admired the strong and beautiful women ... and their supposed to be tanned too .. like me .. hahaa

anyway thanks for your help

Cactus jACK said:
you should always be on the look out for theft. :bigeyes:

agree with JP on the point about the sand. i was at tangalooma (australia), which is like an island of sand. the particles there were really REALLY fine, which is really nice to feel and sink your feet in, but hell for optical and precision equipment, as it can find it's way through all sorts of nooks and crannies :nono:

after taking a couple of shots, you could here grinding sounds as the lens closed... sigh... had to send it in to service when i came back to s'pore. :cry:

Thanks for your advice ...
with regards to sand .. yes.. it really gets every where when you are not careful ;)
nothing a swim can't get rid of

Amazonian Princess said:
... cos i really can't find a place to sling it at the waist... (i supposed u Do know what we girls wear to the beach) ... it'll not do justice to the bikini .. heheehe

Oh i was imagining Halle Berry doing a 007, that explains the bikini-cum-gun holster setup, haha... :D Yes I do know what u gals wear - a nice tan and broad sunny smile!

Amazonian Princess said:
is there a plastic case for the camera .. so it'll be protected from the elements? what do i clean it with after the beach?

I suppose a camera bag will do just fine for general use, but if u're thinking of using it near/in the sea where it might get wet then you could get a waterproof see-thru pouch. Kinda like a ziploc but its made for such purposes, find it in all good sports/adventure equipment stores. But note its not meant for deeper waters though, depth limitation is stated on the packaging.

Clean it with moist cloth if all looks right. Its just to wipe the grime away, so u dont need to use chemicals.

Have fun with your cam! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.