Nikon FM2

sinned79 said:
i just ordered 20 rolls of Kentmere B/W (ISO 400) + 5 rolls of ekta + 10 rolls of porta from adorama... i had read reviews its actually Iford in "disguise" since the company is owned by them. each roll cost me $2.95 usd. i got a colleague going to USA to visit her hubby... so I save on my shipping! :D just the colored films... i save $40+ buying in singapore... ektar especially... its way overpriced in sg! i got it for only $5.25 usd per roll from adorama.

I ordered 200ft of Arista Premium which is actually Kodak Tri-X. But I had to pay for shipping :X

hi guys, i got a FM2n recently and the shutter is not working very well(it cant close fully). Should i bring it to Nikon service center or to outside shop to get it service? and theres fungus in the viewfinder :what:

spanser00 said:
hi guys, i got a FM2n recently and the shutter is not working very well(it cant close fully). Should i bring it to Nikon service center or to outside shop to get it service? and theres fungus in the viewfinder :what:

Likely you have to replace the shutter assembly as the whole thing is not very serviceable.. As for the fungus, depends on where it's growing.. If on the focusing screen, not too bad.. Can replace cheaply, but if on the prism, will be hard and expensive to clean.. Unless the body is in perfect condition, it may be cheaper to get another fm2n

Get a good condition FM2 for about USD$300. There are many available.

I am reserved about using fully manual Nikon bodies now F2, F3, FT3, FM2 etc.
The F601, F801, F90x, F80 etc cost next to nothing. They are accurate, have integral motor drive and some have flash.
Of course don't have the metal feel, but very usable.

i just ordered 20 rolls of Kentmere B/W (ISO 400) + 5 rolls of ekta + 10 rolls of porta from adorama... i had read reviews its actually Iford in "disguise" since the company is owned by them. each roll cost me $2.95 usd. i got a colleague going to USA to visit her hubby... so I save on my shipping! :D just the colored films... i save $40+ buying in singapore... ektar especially... its way overpriced in sg! i got it for only $5.25 usd per roll from adorama.

ya agree. I also just bought quite a number from adorama, capped it just below S$400 to avoid gst:)

Get a good condition FM2 for about USD$300. There are many available.

I am reserved about using fully manual Nikon bodies now F2, F3, FT3, FM2 etc.
The F601, F801, F90x, F80 etc cost next to nothing. They are accurate, have integral motor drive and some have flash.
Of course don't have the metal feel, but very usable.

got mine recently from keh at slightly over usd 300. comes to about 400+ sing inclusive shipping. condition very good. loving it

got mine recently from keh at slightly over usd 300. comes to about 400+ sing inclusive shipping. condition very good. loving it

Great. Hope you make great pictures with it.

Actually, you can get a minty copy of F3 now using USD300..... I don't like KEH, its over priced.

I had my fair share of FM FM2 FE etc. I only use them when I go to very cold places.
Other than that, I use the F601 which is by far better.....

I bought a FM as a backup. Was quite disappointed when I missed a good deal on eBay, but ended up getting a better condition set at an even lower price.

Great. Hope you make great pictures with it.

Actually, you can get a minty copy of F3 now using USD300..... I don't like KEH, its over priced.

I had my fair share of FM FM2 FE etc. I only use them when I go to very cold places.
Other than that, I use the F601 which is by far better.....

first time trying keh.
what is yr recommendation? didn't dare to try ebay

Likely you have to replace the shutter assembly as the whole thing is not very serviceable.. As for the fungus, depends on where it's growing.. If on the focusing screen, not too bad.. Can replace cheaply, but if on the prism, will be hard and expensive to clean.. Unless the body is in perfect condition, it may be cheaper to get another fm2n

Pardon me but shutter assembly can be serviced. I guess nowadays the most camera repairman are so busy that nobody wants to perform such kind of fix.

DSCN8307.jpg

Taken a few years back when I was not so busy

fatigue said:
Pardon me but shutter assembly can be serviced. I guess nowadays the most camera repairman are so busy that nobody wants to perform such kind of fix.

That's awesome bro.

Just wondering if I change to a brighter focusing screen on my FM/FE, can you re-calibrate the meter?

DSCN8307.jpg

Nice! but I think I'm gonna get a working one rather than servicing it.

What is the main issue if I'm unable to turn the hammer fully? Apparently it seems stuck after someone turn the dial thingy by the side to a higher number. Now I can't turn the hammer fully to the right and its basically like this,

[video=youtube;KZw80sC8034]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZw80sC8034[/video]

I search around for images and videos, this would be the best to describe it. The mirror inside is always closed and I can't turn the hammer at all.

Would it be very expensive to service it?

Hi, may I asking you guys here.

How to compare the price from FM2 has much higher than FE/FE2?
Except the FE got A mode the rest still same.
Or FE need use battery and FM2 not need?

Thanks.

Thanks.

FM2 is a mechanically-controlled manual focus SLR, battery only for metering. While FE uses electronic shutter with two mechanical backup speeds (B or M90) when no battery. HTH.

rain5533 said:

Thanks.

Have you finally bought film for your camera?

What is the main issue if I'm unable to turn the hammer fully? Apparently it seems stuck after someone turn the dial thingy by the side to a higher number. Now I can't turn the hammer fully to the right and its basically like this,

[video=youtube;KZw80sC8034]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZw80sC8034[/video]

I search around for images and videos, this would be the best to describe it. The mirror inside is always closed and I can't turn the hammer at all.

Would it be very expensive to service it?

Wow,the hammer is actually known as film advance lever and the dial thingy is called shutter speed dial.It's hard to tell
exactly until you disassemble the camera.Could be a jammed part or worse broken for which there are no spares unless you can cannibalise another body.You could ask for a repair quote.Anyway download FM2 repair manual just to see the mechanicals.I don't think you should try it unless you're prepared to junk it if you make a mistake.

FM2 service manual:
Nikon FM2 Camera Service Manual

Riotbmx said:
Have you finally bought film for your camera?

Yes, finally got 4 box 36 expo. Kodak

But worry after taken and dunno where can processing :(

Too bad in JB now

Wow,the hammer is actually known as film advance lever and the dial thingy is called shutter speed dial.It's hard to tell
exactly until you disassemble the camera.Could be a jammed part or worse broken for which there are no spares unless you can cannibalise another body.You could ask for a repair quote.Anyway download FM2 repair manual just to see the mechanicals.I don't think you should try it unless you're prepared to junk it if you make a mistake.

FM2 service manual:
Nikon FM2 Camera Service Manual

The repair manual makes it look like fixing this camera is very complicated. :bigeyes:
But if you will have the chance to see a repairman in action, you will discover that there's a lot of tricks and shortcut to do the fix