Nikon FLASH

hamburger

Jun 19, 2011
Hi

I'm looking to get myself a external flash and I'm curious about whats the difference between SB600, Sb700 and Sb900. Can we actually adjust the brightness of the flash?

u can adjust the power of the flash. SB 900 is the most powerful flash that nikon has and it has commander mode where u can trigger other speedlites wirelessly and also u can connect external batt pack to it should u need faster recycle rate.

SB700 is a newer model which has almost wat SB900 had (if i m not wrong) but its not as powerful.

SB 600 is the more basic ones. does not have commander mode slightly more powerful than SB700

Last edited:
u can adjust the power of the flash. SB 900 is the most powerful flash that nikon has and it has commander mode where u can trigger other speedlites wirelessly and also u can connect external batt pack to it should u need faster recycle rate.

SB700 is a newer model which has almost wat SB900 had (if i m not wrong) but its not as powerful.

SB 600 is the more basic ones. does not have commander mode and not as powerful compare to the rest.

fyi, sb-600 has slightly more power than the sb-700.

The predecessor of the SB-900, the SB-800 is also available.

hamburger said:
Hi

I'm looking to get myself a external flash and I'm curious about whats the difference between SB600, Sb700 and Sb900. Can we actually adjust the brightness of the flash?

I think, I STRESSED again. I THINK.
All cannot do strobbing.
Only SB800 can.
If I am wrong. Please correct me.
I didn't research, just type what I think.
Dont need to sling mud at me.

All flash you listed can adjust brightness.

nightlights said:
I think, I STRESSED again. I THINK.
All cannot do strobbing.
Only SB800 can.
If I am wrong. Please correct me.
I didn't research, just type what I think.
Dont need to sling mud at me.

All flash you listed can adjust brightness.

I dont quite understand what u mean when u said "all cannot do strobing".

Speedlights are also known as flash light, artificial light, and strobes.

From the American Science Heritage Dictionary: "strobe light
A lamp that produces very short, intense flashes of light by means of an electric discharge in a gas. The ability of strobe lights to "freeze" the motion of rapidly moving objects by making them visible for only a fraction of a second makes them very useful in photography and in measuring vibration and other types of high-speed motion."

Nikon's Creative Lighting Solution (CLS) makes it possible for all their new-generation speedlights to communicate with each other. And as some of our members here already mentioned, SB900 and SB700 (as well as the older SB800) can trigger other Nikon speedlights while the SB600 cannot.

I think you are referring to strobist blog techniques?

If that is what you mean then only sb400 cannot be slave

pasay said:
I dont quite understand what u mean when u said "all cannot do strobing".

Speedlights are also known as flash light, artificial light, and strobes.

From the American Science Heritage Dictionary: "strobe light
A lamp that produces very short, intense flashes of light by means of an electric discharge in a gas. The ability of strobe lights to "freeze" the motion of rapidly moving objects by making them visible for only a fraction of a second makes them very useful in photography and in measuring vibration and other types of high-speed motion."

Nikon's Creative Lighting Solution (CLS) makes it possible for all their new-generation speedlights to communicate with each other. And as some of our members here already mentioned, SB900 and SB700 (as well as the older SB800) can trigger other Nikon speedlights while the SB600 cannot.

Sorry. I meant to say. Only sb800 can give out rapid burst of short burst flash. Am i correct? I need to go home to test. Am in KL now. I don't know the application of it. So never try before.

Sorry. I meant to say. Only sb800 can give out rapid burst of short burst flash. Am i correct? I need to go home to test. Am in KL now. I don't know the application of it. So never try before.

the SB800 and the SB900 can do it, it is the RPT mode

the SB600 can perform RPT flash if it is set via a commander during CLS, you cannot set it on the SB600

anyone tried it with the SB700? please update

the SB600 can perform RPT flash if it is set via a commander during CLS, you cannot set it on the SB600

The SB700 doesn't have the setting.
However, I can command it with my D7000 to do so. Haha!

ortega said:

Roger that. Interesting finding about this rpt thing. Will YouTube it to understand how it works and it's application.

actually u can adjust the power of flash even ur popup flash
well flashes to me it all up to the use of the flash
sb400,sb700,sb900 all got different uses

sb400 is for normal use eg outing,holiday,days where u want to be low profile
sb700&sb900 is for normal to professional uses
both have commander and sb900 is stronger
both can use as a slave and commander
sb600 cannot use as commander but can use as slave(wireless)

Can the SB700 be mounted directly onto the top of a tripod or does it have to be attached to a bracket and the bracket attached to the tripod

all flashes cannot be mounted directly to a tripod, i know for a fact that my SB800 comes with a stand that can be mounted on a tripod

You need the foot that is provided. I think even the 3rd party flash also comes with the foot. The foot has a 1/4" screw mount meant for the tripodhead plate.

Kee Huat said:
Can the SB700 be mounted directly onto the top of a tripod or does it have to be attached to a bracket and the bracket attached to the tripod

You need a plastic (well, that's the material that most are made of) foot with a slot for the flash, and a threaded socket below for attaching to tripod. Can buy from eBay ;)

The SB700 doesn't have the setting.
However, I can command it with my D7000 to do so. Haha!
hi, can advice how to do so?
just got the sb700 for my d7000.

also wish to ask, is there any local shop i can buy the lcd screen protector for the sb700?