Nikon Flash

cjyong

Dec 21, 2006
Is SB-700 sufficient for wedding and event shoots? Do I need the SB-900?

cheers.

unless you are bouncing off high ceilings, or doing alot of bouncing.
the SB700 should be enough

Really depends on your shooting style

Usually I will be using a diffuser for direct, if not just a bounce card attached to my flash.

SB-900 if you do a lot of bouncing on walls and ceilings, SB-700's power is not enough.

it depends on how you use it, if you only shoot with direct flash, shoot everything up close, shoot in high ISO, than it is more than enough.

Is SB-700 that weak? I bounce off 5 metre high ceiling it still looks ok leh. Unless u need to shoot multiple shots...

When SB1000 (anyhow hantam the model number) comes out, people will start swearing that SB900 not enough power ;)

As if when once there was only Sb600, all wedding photos r shot straight on without bounce, low low ceiling or all under exposed..lol

cjyong said:
Usually I will be using a diffuser for direct, if not just a bounce card attached to my flash.

The sb700 comes included with built-in bounce card and diffuser (stofen type) as well.

To be honest, in such high ceilings ballroom, even give you double the power of sb900 also not enough.

Just put on the stofen diffuser and all should be fine. I find sb700 sufficient.

The sb700 comes included with built-in bounce card and diffuser (stofen type) as well.

To be honest, in such high ceilings ballroom, even give you double the power of sb900 also not enough.

Just put on the stofen diffuser and all should be fine. I find sb700 sufficient.

In such events where there is high ceiling, how do you tilt the flash head?

Do you point the flash head straight up? Tilt forward abit?

I am guessing you dont do direct flash with diffuser right?

Big bounce card seems to be best solution for me.

there won't be a fix answer for this, depends on What kind of Subject you are shooting? How Far away you are from your subject? What Type/color of ceiling you are dealing with? What kind of ambient light the site have? What ISO you are shooting with? What kind of effect you want to give? How much battery juice you can spare?

there won't be a fix answer for this, depends on What kind of Subject you are shooting? How Far away you are from your subject? What Type/color of ceiling you are dealing with? What kind of ambient light the site have? What ISO you are shooting with? What kind of effect you want to give? How much battery juice you can spare?

Say for example, if Im doing general portrait/half body shots on the streets in the night. The person (subject) is approximately 2m from me.

I want to expose my subject and at the same time get some ambient light at the background. What are things that I should keep in mind?

I tried pointing the flash head up with diffuser and the in built bounce card, I tried a smaller aperture, I tried a slower shutter speed, results are all far from ideal..

Say for example, if Im doing general portrait/half body shots on the streets in the night. The person (subject) is approximately 2m from me.

I want to expose my subject and at the same time get some ambient light at the background. What are things that I should keep in mind?

I tried pointing the flash head up with diffuser and the in built bounce card, I tried a smaller aperture, I tried a slower shutter speed, results are all far from ideal..
you need to meter and exposure for the ambient light, at the same time the flash will act as main light, most of the time manual exposure mode on camera and manual mode on flash will work better as you can lock down all the settings.

this is only work when the ambient light is sufficient to make a decide exposure with a shutter speed able to shoot with hand held.
if the ambient light is too low, there only little thing you can do.

cheers.

I would think sufficient means just right. Think if later on do you require more power or features.

if you not sure, then get SB900.
to have is better than don't have when needed.

wuminlee said:
if you not sure, then get SB900.
to have is better than don't have when needed.

Agree .. Ut if budget issue, why not learn to work ar the limitation of weaker flash

cjyong said:

cheers.

As a full tim e photographer , i shot wedding w sb600 when my sb800 fail on me during dinner reception. No problem. U just have to wait a bit longer for the flash recycle time and be nearer to the ppl to work around the flash low power limitation. Think of it as forcing u to time the shot instead of shooting rapidly and hope for the best, high iso also help.

For the price and weight difference, i would go for sb700 if i am a casual photographer. I still stick to 3 sb800 as i find sb900 to big for my liking ..