Nikon Flash : Sunpak PF30X or SB400

jamboree

Apr 25, 2011
Hi, I was considering 2 flashes for my D40, to extend the reach/flexibility of the built-in flash. Came across the Sunpak PF30X and the SB400, and wanted some opinions on which would be a better flash to get. Budget around $100-$120.

1) There is a Nikon subforum where you could get faster response .. and you could even search for existing questions.
2) A look into the price guide could tell you whether your budget allows purchasing the SB400.
3) You define "better" according your purposes, skills, expectations. Have you compared the features of both flashes?

original is still better =D, if got budget try sb 600 700 800 900 =)

Hi, I was considering 2 flashes for my D40, to extend the reach/flexibility of the built-in flash. Came across the Sunpak PF30X and the SB400, and wanted some opinions on which would be a better flash to get. Budget around $100-$120.

I think SB400's main selling points are the compact size and i-TTL function, not forgetting the Nikon brand name of course.
It is quite expensive to get brand new, and a number of shops don't have stock. It's also not very powerful.

Nissin and Yongnuo offer you some value-for-money alternatives. Worth considering.

if yongnuo you can try the YN467 i-ttl 130 new

@zerocoolastra & @luckyorange, thanks for such constructive feedback and advice.

@zerocoolastra & @luckyorange, thanks for such constructive feedback and advice.

You're welcome :)
Just a note that I have the SB400 myself, and I find it quite useful due to its small size. I was lucky enough to get it at a decent price 2nd hand, and it still works like new. It's quite limited in functionality, but I like it for what it does :)

For more flexibility and power, the bigger flashes are more suitable.