Nikon FF series

Will Nikon introduce a 5D equivalent?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
Juz a tot from a sleepy but over caffeinated mind. For discussion, no flames pls.

Now that Nikon have entered the Full Frame arena, how likely do you think Nikon will introduce a 5D equivalent... say something like D300 FF.

Taking note that it might cannibalise the D3 even more.

actually no point guessing/discussing, sooner or later, technology in the higher end models will come to be included in lower end models, when that time comes, the higher end models will have advanced another step. :cool:

actually no point guessing/discussing, sooner or later, technology in the higher end models will come to be included in lower end models, when that time comes, the higher end models will have advanced another step. :cool:

So, in summary... it's a yes. :)

I realise that I didn't put a timeline, as I specified the camera models for discussion, and assumed it's understood to be near future. (before the mentioned models gets replaced)

My point is that will Nikon pull a dejavu on Canon 5D's replacement like what they did on the 40D's announcement.

I realise that I didn't put a timeline, as I specified the camera models for discussion, and assumed it's understood to be near future. (before the mentioned models gets replaced)

My point is that will Nikon pull a dejavu on Canon 5D's replacement like what they did on the 40D's announcement.

:think: actually i can't be bothered with that :bsmilie:

:think: actually i can't be bothered with that :bsmilie:

you of course dun need to bother lah. photos :thumbsup: :thumbsup: liao.

Others need mah... photos still :flush:.

you of course dun need to bother lah. photos :thumbsup: :thumbsup: liao.

Others need mah... photos still :flush:.

abish ... :confused: not i say one ah

anyway some things equipment can do, some things can't. seriously watching companies fighting for market share is like watching show like that, they can fight all they want, end of the day just produce value for money products can already ... as long as they don't fight halfway bankrupt ... but judging by their financial strengths and list of shareholders, we can enjoy the show safely :bsmilie:

in times to come, even handphone camera is full frame!!! :bsmilie:

in the near future, i would say no they will not.

it seems that their marketing dept has decided
D3 top of the line for FX
D300 top of the line for DX

but them there is still room for a camera below D3 and above D300
but maybe more than 2 years later, again it depends on what canon do next and the way the market swings

IN time to come... but why shoot yourself in the foot now??

Probably in 2 yrs time....

Juz a tot from a sleepy but over caffeinated mind. For discussion, no flames pls.

Now that Nikon have entered the Full Frame arena, how likely do you think Nikon will introduce a 5D equivalent... say something like D300 FF.

Taking note that it might cannibalise the D3 even more.

Nikon has always exceeded my predictions.. I predicted D3 to be 1.2x crop because that's what Sony is coming out with, but its FF!! I predicted D300 to be slightly better than D2X, it turn out to be a whole lot better.

Now I am predicting:-
1) D300X to be FF using a slower version of D3's sensor => FX=12mp, DX=5mp.
2) D3X to be FF having pixel density of D300 or slightly less. => FX>22mp DX>10mp.
3) D90 to be DX using a slower version of current D300 sensor. 12mp with ISO up to 6400.

abish ... :confused: not i say one ah

anyway some things equipment can do, some things can't. seriously watching companies fighting for market share is like watching show like that, they can fight all they want, end of the day just produce value for money products can already ... as long as they don't fight halfway bankrupt ... but judging by their financial strengths and list of shareholders, we can enjoy the show safely :bsmilie:

I wouldn't say fight loh.

Juz say I feel consumers are currently like carrot heads. :(

in the near future, i would say no they will not.

it seems that their marketing dept has decided
D3 top of the line for FX
D300 top of the line for DX

but them there is still room for a camera below D3 and above D300
but maybe more than 2 years later, again it depends on what canon do next and the way the market swings

This, Nikon gotta learn from Canon.

There's quite a demand for consumer FF (to which Nikon have lost not a few of their users to FF). And there's a huge gap between D300 and D3 which Canon is sitting very comfortable there with 5D.

At the end of the day D3 might be full of features but if the price is simply beyond budget (like the 1DsM3) the market will take the next affordable substitute product.

Nikon has always exceeded my predictions.. I predicted D3 to be 1.2x crop because that's what Sony is coming out with, but its FF!! I predicted D300 to be slightly better than D2X, it turn out to be a whole lot better.

Now I am predicting:-
1) D300X to be FF using a slower version of D3's sensor => FX=12mp, DX=5mp.
2) D3X to be FF having pixel density of D300 or slightly less. => FX>22mp DX>10mp.
3) D90 to be DX using a slower version of current D300 sensor. 12mp with ISO up to 6400.

currently the gap between the D300 and D3 is pretty big. But if D300x becomes FF with the porpotional price increase, then there will be a huge gap between the D80 and D300x series. Dun tink it a good strategic move in the long run.

currently the gap between the D300 and D3 is pretty big. But if D300x becomes FF with the porpotional price increase, then there will be a huge gap between the D80 and D300x series. Dun tink it a good strategic move in the long run.

D3 and D300 will still be available. Just like D40 and D40X. They will fill the gap. I think it will be something in the order below.

D40<D40X/D70s<D80<D90?/D200<D300<D300X/D2Xs<D3<D3X.

This, Nikon gotta learn from Canon.

There's quite a demand for consumer FF (to which Nikon have lost not a few of their users to FF). And there's a huge gap between D300 and D3 which Canon is sitting very comfortable there with 5D.

At the end of the day D3 might be full of features but if the price is simply beyond budget (like the 1DsM3) the market will take the next affordable substitute product.

D3 should be around S$7-8k. I would expect D3X to be around S$10k or slightly under. If D300X should materialize it should probably be in the region of S$3.5k and give the 5D a run for the money.

Let's see if Nikon can beat my speculations.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.