Nikon F90X and Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviemac

Aug 6, 2004
United Kingdom
November 5th is bonfire night in the uk and there will be fireworks going off every where , since Ive only had my F90X for a few weeks and intend to take it out with a 28-200 AF lens and a Nikon SB26 Speedlight can anyone using this camera give me any tips for taking firework photos ,eg camera focus mode , shutter or apperture priority , subject to camera distances .
Every little bit will help and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Steviemac said:
November 5th is bonfire night in the uk and there will be fireworks going off every where , since Ive only had my F90X for a few weeks and intend to take it out with a 28-200 AF lens and a Nikon SB26 Speedlight can anyone using this camera give me any tips for taking firework photos ,eg camera focus mode , shutter or apperture priority , subject to camera distances .
Every little bit will help and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

well, if this is still in time, you'll need a tripod and and remote shutter release cable. if you don't have a cable, you can set your self timer to 1 sec and use that, but you're going to have to gauge the time the bursts occur so that you'll have your shutter open long enough while they're in the air.

set your camera on it's tripod and in the direction the fireworks are going to be. put it in manual mode and you can use f8 aperture and maybe a time between 4 to 8 seconds depending on the brightness and colour of the bursts (this is easily done on the f90x.) when the bursts are about to happen, activate the self timer and if you guaged it right, the shutter should open of the set time while the fireworks are in the air. you can even do multiple exposures by letting the camera take different bursts on the same piece of film.(also easily done on the f90x)

it is easier if you have a remote shutter release cable. you can fire the shutter at will and hold it open as long as required.

Thanks for the info Patch :) its appreciated , I dont have a remote release cable for the camera yet so will try the self timer .
Wasnt a very good night last night (it rained again which is becoming par for the course on november 5th round here )
Anyways a good point is there are 2 big public displays one tonight saturday 6th and another Sunday 7th both in well exposed places so should have plenty of room to set tripod up and play with the camera settings .

Status
Not open for further replies.