Nikon F601 Film Door Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

glchua

Jan 21, 2003
Singapore
The hinge on my old F601 film door is broken. Does anyone here had experience in replacing this item in Singapore? Any recommendations and comments are appreciated.

glchua said:
The hinge on my old F601 film door is broken. Does anyone here had experience in replacing this item in Singapore? Any recommendations and comments are appreciated.

Take it to Nikon Singapore to get it replaced. Prime Camera may also be able to do the repair.

As this camera doesn't have much of a value nowadays, I would actually like to know the cheapest option to get it functional again. Nikon Singapore would probably charge an arm and a leg for it.

glchua said:
As this camera doesn't have much of a value nowadays, I would actually like to know the cheapest option to get it functional again. Nikon Singapore would probably charge an arm and a leg for it.

Not necessarily, Nikon Singapore may surprise you sometimes. They have been known to do very minor repairs for free (for me anyways). So it depends on how severe the damage to your door hinge is?

Which part of the hinge is damaged? The metal rod or the plastic back?
If it the metal rod, you might be able to buy the part off Nikon and DIY. But if it is the plastic back, then you will have to buy the back which will set you back $80.

Is it the door hinge that is damaged or the door catch (which is a classic problem of the F601)?

If the is the door catch. There are instructions on the web showing how to effect the repair.

It was the door catch on the door that was damaged.

I asked Nikon the price of such repair when I was collecting my film scanner after a cleaning service, and they quoted me $45. I'm a little surprised that it is not as expensive as I thought, so sent it in and got it replaced with a metal one (15min job). Come to think of it, a little on the pricey side but since my wife (owner of the camera) don't mind, its okay.

Thanks Tetrode for the info.

glchua said:
It was the door catch on the door that was damaged.

I asked Nikon the price of such repair when I was collecting my film scanner after a cleaning service, and they quoted me $45. I'm a little surprised that it is not as expensive as I thought, so sent it in and got it replaced with a metal one (15min job). Come to think of it, a little on the pricey side but since my wife (owner of the camera) don't mind, its okay.

Thanks Tetrode for the info.

There is a chap on Ebay or the web that sells a replacement metal catch for $22USD I believe, but you have to install it yourself. After factoring in the cost of shipping(USD$2.50) and time to install it, $45 is reasonable price to pay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.