Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Nikon F6

The flagship film SLR camera that seamlessly blends cutting-edge technologies and uncompromising craftsmanship

F6_02_l.jpg
F6_06_l.jpg

Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the F6, the latest of the legendary F series cameras. The F6 is the sixth in the F series lineup, inaugurated with the Nikon F in 1959. The series evolved gradually, with the original Nikon F being supervened by the F2 (1971), F3 (1980), F4 (1988) and the critically acclaimed F5 in 1996. Each of these cameras inherits select elements from its predecessors, including the legendary Nikon F mount, while offering the latest innovations to meet the increasingly diversified needs of professional photographers. A great number of Nikon F series cameras and Nikkor lenses are being put to the test day after day in various locations around the world — years, even decades, after their initial launch. The new Nikon F6 promises to uphold Nikon’s tradition of innovation and enduring value.

The F6 includes the latest Nikon advances, such as the 11-area AF system for exceptionally high-speed autofocus operation with outstanding accuracy, and the Creative Lighting System for incomparable flash photography. And Nikon’s proprietary 3D Color Matrix Metering system has been refined for improved accuracy in scene reading.

As you’d expect, the F6 satisfies the uncompromising standards of reliability that professionals command. An aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis; magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom); aluminum-alloy back body and camera back; strategically placed rubber surfaces; an easy-to-grip texture, and a self-diagnostic shutter that has undergone testing to assure accurate release up to and beyond 150,000 cycles, even in the most extreme environmental conditions. The F6 embodies the strength, rigidity and durability to perform whenever and whenever photographers need it.

Furthermore, the F6 offers a variety of exciting, innovative control options such as a customizable function button, built-in data back functions and shooting data memory. You can also enjoy the convenience and versatility afforded by 41 Custom Settings which allow you to fine-tune the F6 to suit your individual shooting preferences and requirements.

The new flagship film SLR also boasts a number of dedicated accessories. These include the Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40, interchangeable focusing screens (seven types), Data Reader MV-1 and camera cases.

Sales release schedule: This camera is scheduled for release in October 2004.

Nikon F6 Feature Highlights

High-precision shutter unit
No shutter unit in any other camera comes close to matching the precision and durability of the F6’s assembly. Created from cutting-edge materials — DuPontTM KEVLAR® and a special aluminum alloy — the blades of the shutter unit offer unparalleled reliability and are extremely lightweight, for lightning-quick movement. For enhanced accuracy, the movement of the blades is carefully analyzed using a high-speed video camera and computer simulations, enabling unprecedented precision even at shutter speeds of up to 1/8,000 second.

DuPontTM and KEVLAR® are trademarks and registered trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.

Minimized operational sound and vibration
Nikon engineers were so intent on subduing the camera’s operational sounds that they used a professional audio room to properly gauge their quality and frequency. The degree of vibration to which every part of the camera would be subjected was measured. This meticulous approach has resulted in a camera comprised of parts that have been highly refined for absolute minimum vibration, and frequency of movement attenuated to a level below that detectable by the human ear.

Highly efficient mechanics
The development of the F6 marks the first time 3D computer movement analysis has ever been applied to an SLR. This technique reveals the degree of power distributed to or generated by particular parts in specific directions. This made it possible for us to optimize the mechanical operation of the camera with fewer parts, leading to lower power consumption and higher durability

Harsh environmental testing
To ensure the camera could withstand the most severe conditions and environments, the F6 has been subjected to rigorous testing. The F6’s astonishing reliability is a function of our “the right material for the right place” approach. Our engineers considered countless situations for camera use, then submitted the F6 to real-life testing to virtually guarantee exceptional dependability wherever and whenever photographers shoot.

Major Features

Advanced Autofocus System
• Multi-CAM 2000 Autofocus (AF) Sensor Module: The advanced high-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors ensures quick response and sharp focus regardless of shooting conditions.
• Four AF Area Modes: Single Area AF, Dynamic AF with Focus Tracking and Lock-on™, Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF, Group Dynamic AF

Advanced Exposure Metering System
• 3D Color Matrix Metering with improved algorithm
• Flexible Center-Weighted Metering
• Spot Metering corresponds to the focus area selected

Exposure Control
• P, S, A, M, Flexible Program, Exposure Compensation, Auto Exposure/Flash Bracketing
• Shutter speeds up to 1/8,000 sec.
• Shutter speed and aperture control adjustable in 1/3 EV steps
• Built-in Data Back functions
• Customizable Function Button can be used to perform FV Lock, AE-L/AF-L, Flash Cancel or Metering operation.

Creative Lighting System (with SB-800/600)
• i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash
• Wireless Advance Lighting capability
• AUTO FP High-Speed Sync capability
• FV (Flash Value) Lock
• Slow Sync and Rear-Curtain Sync

Stylish, High-durability Design
• Exterior design by Giorgetto GIUGIARO*
• Floating mechanisms ensure quiet operation
• Aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis; magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom); aluminum-alloy back body and camera back combine to optimize reliability
• Enhanced resistance to rain and dust
• Self-diagnostic double-bladed shutter tested to 150,000 cycles supported by Nikon’s exclusive Shutter Monitor

Other important features
• Four film advance modes: Single (S), Continuous Low-Speed (CL) for up to approx. 2 frames per second (fps), Continuous High-Speed (CH) for up to 5.5 fps (or 8 fps with optional Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40), and Continuous Silent (CS) for nearly silent operation at approximately 1 fps.
• Electronically controlled depth-of-field preview function
• Fast film rewind (9 seconds with 36-exp. film roll)
• Manual film rewind
• 41 Custom Settings
• Nikon F mount
• 10-pin remote terminal

Dedicated Accessories
• Interchangeable focusing screens
• Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40
• Optional Data Reader MV-1
• Camera cases

I may be wrong but what's the point of releasing a new pro SLR? I'd like to see the statistics between DSLR and SLR in the latest Olympics.

What, no replaceable finder on a Nikon F model? That's the first time since 1959. Too bad...

Hi Darren,

May I know where you get your official press release news from? Thanks.

Adiemus said:
Hi Darren,

May I know where you get your official press release news from? Thanks.
From Nikon Singapore.

looks more like the Nikon F series...
cosmetic wise...not impressive enough :p

tomshen said:
I may be wrong but what's the point of releasing a new pro SLR? I'd like to see the statistics between DSLR and SLR in the latest Olympics.

i got the same feeling about this, how many Nikon pros still uses film nowadays verses digitalSLRs unless got exchangable digitalbacks. :dunno:

just an thought

Belle&Sebastain said:
i got the same feeling about this, how many Nikon pros still uses film nowadays verses digitalSLRs unless got exchangable digitalbacks. :dunno:

just an thought

Hmm....

I guess....film photography does have its fair share at this current moment ....in many parts of the world.....

Using one single event like the olympics itself is not a good datapoint. We live in this global world where many-many more things happening around us that we are not aware......

Locally we only have Simlim, Peninsula, Funan....to have a feel that everying is going digital.....too bad....

rgds,
me

sulhan said:
Hmm....

I guess....film photography does have its fair share at this current moment ....in many parts of the world.....

Using one single event like the olympics itself is not a good datapoint. We live in this global world where many-many more things happening around us that we are not aware......

Locally we only have Simlim, Peninsula, Funan....to have a feel that everying is going digital.....too bad....

rgds,
me

I am still using film! :lovegrin:

Perhaps if you considered that this film body can now be sold to other digital manufacturers, you can have the potential for what people wanted all along. A Kodak back with a F100-like body.

The Kodak 14n and SLR/n as well as the Fuji S2 and S3pro are just too simplistic because of the F80 body for most needs.

This is a good move in the right direction and an advance to be appreciated. Don't assume that just because you and all your friends love digital, and sports shooters use digital, there isn't a single soul in the world who will appreciate a great film body to use and enjoy for years. I frequently need a body that can survive the harshest environments (e.g. Kashmir, Andes, Himalayas) and not rely on electrical power for both the transfer of digital files and powering the sensor. This F6 would suit my needs in those cases. For those who live and breath in cities 24/7/365, the nearest electrical socket is below you table, so the D2x is out for you to play with. Why complain when there is the right tool for the right job?

Thats the essence of Nikon, "At the Heart of the Image"-->>photography. Digital or film, this company did not forget its roots or did it abandon some traditionalist aspects of photography through film cameras (Fm3a, now F6), unlike some of its rivals. I am pleasantly surprised that they did go ahead with the F6 despite the temptation to abandon production of pro level film cameras and go all out into digital. Just glad to be using a product from a company with a soul.

icebooke said:
Perhaps if you considered that this film body can now be sold to other digital manufacturers, you can have the potential for what people wanted all along. A Kodak back with a F100-like body.

The Kodak 14n and SLR/n as well as the Fuji S2 and S3pro are just too simplistic because of the F80 body for most needs.

Why don't they just sell the F100 to Kodak and Fuji? It's cheaper than this F6.

Anyway hope they'll use this form factor in the D200. Not too big please.

I echo the same thoughts as icebooke, people around one using digital doesn't means that film is dead.

There's still many ppl in this world still using film. ;)

And if film is dead, why would Nikon and Canon come out with new film bodies? Just a thought too. :bsmilie:

kongg said:
Thats the essence of Nikon, "At the Heart of the Image"-->>photography. Digital or film, this company did not forget its roots or did it abandon some traditionalist aspects of photography through film cameras (Fm3a, now F6), unlike some of its rivals. I am pleasantly surprised that they did go ahead with the F6 despite the temptation to abandon production of pro level film cameras and go all out into digital. Just glad to be using a product from a company with a soul.

Heehee, I suspect something better is coming along the way. Just watch the space. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.