Nikon F4 and Nikon F90X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaggyJM

Nov 14, 2006
Hey, im a new member here and i need some nikon professional help here.

Ok, i've done photography for atleast 2 to 3 years and i've started of with my first DSLR with the olympus E-500 due to its 2 kit lens deal. Its been excellent for more then a year now but recently, im now interested onto SLRs. i've work on the Fujica ST605 i found in my art classroom....but it was kinda bad, the pics i meant. Its all faded out and definitely not sharp.

But my art teacher was cleaning out his house and willing to sell me his Nikon F4 and Nikon F90X (both with extended battery packs), 2 sigma shoe flahes, nikon shoe flash cord, the mc trigger for nikon all under 300 brunei dollars. I think thats 300 singapore dollars as well.

So far the deal sounds great, but the catch was he's not selling any lens.... and according to him, he said the nikon F4's "top part is mess'd up"... im guessing he meant the camera's Prism might be damage cause he said he can't read any of the bottom readings when looking through the viewfinder.

So my question is, what do you think? is it a good deal? Should i get it or just drop it and take just the cord and flashes instead?

i would like an answer asap if possible, thanks again.
ShaggyJM.

Well if you not taking up the offer, I don't buying for collection.

Hey, im a new member here and i need some nikon professional help here.

Ok, i've done photography for atleast 2 to 3 years and i've started of with my first DSLR with the olympus E-500 due to its 2 kit lens deal. Its been excellent for more then a year now but recently, im now interested onto SLRs. i've work on the Fujica ST605 i found in my art classroom....but it was kinda bad, the pics i meant. Its all faded out and definitely not sharp.

But my art teacher was cleaning out his house and willing to sell me his Nikon F4 and Nikon F90X (both with extended battery packs), 2 sigma shoe flahes, nikon shoe flash cord, the mc trigger for nikon all under 300 brunei dollars. I think thats 300 singapore dollars as well.

So far the deal sounds great, but the catch was he's not selling any lens.... and according to him, he said the nikon F4's "top part is mess'd up"... im guessing he meant the camera's Prism might be damage cause he said he can't read any of the bottom readings when looking through the viewfinder.

So my question is, what do you think? is it a good deal? Should i get it or just drop it and take just the cord and flashes instead?

i would like an answer asap if possible, thanks again.
ShaggyJM.

It is a bargain even with the damage on the F4 - that is if the F90X is in working condition. An F90x alone is around $250-350.

It is a bargain even with the damage on the F4 - that is if the F90X is in working condition. An F90x alone is around $250-350.

It really is a good bargain, you can get replacement prisms for the F4 in the net. I both are working condition, i think i'd get it. F4 is my favourite Film cam, built like a tank, performs like a car. ;)

hey,
Thanks for responding. Well, ok if i do get it, where can i get a replacement for the prism in singapore? price? and what about lenses...

do i have to find old lenses with aperture and focusing rings? or can i use the latest nikon lenses with AF...

yea the Nikon F90x is working, but i cant get my hands on a nikon lens to test the bodies out so yea....

hey,
Thanks for responding. Well, ok if i do get it, where can i get a replacement for the prism in singapore? price? and what about lenses...

do i have to find old lenses with aperture and focusing rings? or can i use the latest nikon lenses with AF...

yea the Nikon F90x is working, but i cant get my hands on a nikon lens to test the bodies out so yea....
bring it down to Nikon Service Centre to find out
you can use AF-D lens on both of the cameras, except G lens

You can use G lenses in the P and S modes on F4 because it does not have a dial for aperture. Not sure about F90X, does it use dial control?

AF-I, AF-S lenses should work also although I have not tried on the F4. VR will probably not work.

Af-D lenses sounds ok, resonable prices.

ok, what about the camera itself? is it a must have? does it have any unique features or matches up to the F5 or F6?

ok, what about the camera itself? is it a must have? does it have any unique features or matches up to the F5 or F6?

The F5 is 8 years newer than the F4 and the F6 is about 6 years newer than the F5, so you should not expect the F4 to have F5 or F6 features. ;p

Unique feature on the F4 would be the lack of LCDs (except for the one in the viewfinder).

I find it much more fun to handle a camera like the F4 which is supposed to be fully automatic, but you operate all functions mechanically by turning dials, etc. When you switch to full manual its really full manual... turn aperture, turn shutter knob etc. It operates more like a manual camera than auto.

Unique feature on the F4 would be the lack of LCDs (except for the one in the viewfinder).

I find it much more fun to handle a camera like the F4 which is supposed to be fully automatic, but you operate all functions mechanically by turning dials, etc. When you switch to full manual its really full manual... turn aperture, turn shutter knob etc. It operates more like a manual camera than auto.

It made transition into electronic much easier for manual camera users at that time. :thumbsup: for Nikon then..

Status
Not open for further replies.