Nikon Equipment upgrade

razermouth

Dec 17, 2010
hello fellow CSers. i'm planning to upgrade my newbie photography equipment to a more advance type. I have a D5000 with 18-55mm. I've chosen some items but is beyond my budget. Therefore i have to split the items and choose but i don't know which one suits me best as one option is that i have to sell my equipment. Budget only $1500. So here goes.

UPGRADE 1:
Keep all equipment, Buy 18-200mm VR II OR 28-300mm

Spent: all

UPGRADE 2:
Sell my kit around $800+ (which gives me at least $2300)
Get 2nd hand D300 at $1300 (as seen one B&S)
get 2nd hand 18-200mm VR II

UPGRADE 3:
Get 2nd hand D300 at $1300 (as seen on B&S)
get brand new SB-600 at $350
get 2nd hand 18-200mm VR I $650+

My general photography is Abstracts and still lifes. But i still do architectures and landscapes. I dont know if my selection suits my or not. If you guys have any better options, please let me know as i'm sorta confused here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe if you can list down the 'shortcoming' of the D5000 in your area of photography OR what you are looking for in terms of the functions/features of the advance body then maybe the rest of the Csers can sort of help you to find your ideal cam. Otherwise you'll end up with the BBB and a witchhunt game:eek:

D5000 is still a good cam and maybe all you need is a few good lenses like WA or prime

Last edited:
hello fellow CSers. i'm planning to upgrade my newbie photography equipment to a more advance type. I have a D5000 with 18-55mm. I've chosen some items but is beyond my budget. Therefore i have to split the items and choose but i don't know which one suits me best as one option is that i have to sell my equipment. Budget only $1500. So here goes.

UPGRADE 1:
Keep all equipment, Buy 18-200mm VR II OR 28-300mm

UPGRADE 2:
Get 2nd hand D300 at $1300 (as seen one B&S)
get 2nd hand 18-200mm VR II

UPGRADE 3:
Get 2nd hand D300 at $1300 (as seen on B&S)
get brand new SB-600 at $350
get 2nd hand 18-200mm VR I $650+

My general photography is Abstracts and still lifes. But i still do architectures and landscapes. I dont know if my selection suits my or not. If you guys have any better options, please let me know as i'm sorta confused here. Thanks!

i dun see why u shld upgrade to d300 when all u do is shooting abstracts, still life, architectures and landscapes. and also, in wad way does the 18-55 kit lens limits u?

My advice to you is this: do you need the fast fps of the d300? If you don't , you can save 500 dollars and get a 2nd hand d90 instead :) I love my d90 because of the ergonomics and the top LCD for fast changing of settings.

I personally don't see any reasons for you to upgrade, because I am also using D5000 and find that it is still a good camera.
I recently also want to buy a new lens and probably is 18-200mm VR or VRII. If you have either one, you could sell the kit lens, although not much money you could get back.
And if possible, you may consider to buy the lens in Hong Kong because lenses there are selling at lower price, generally.

Maybe if you can list down the 'shortcoming' of the D5000 in your area of photography OR what you are looking for in terms of the functions/features of the advance body then maybe the rest of the Csers can sort of help you to find your ideal cam. Otherwise you'll end up with the BBB and a witchhunt game:eek:

D5000 is still a good cam and maybe all you need is a few good lenses like WA or prime

i dun see why u shld upgrade to d300 when all u do is shooting abstracts, still life, architectures and landscapes. and also, in wad way does the 18-55 kit lens limits u?

My advice to you is this: do you need the fast fps of the d300? If you don't , you can save 500 dollars and get a 2nd hand d90 instead :) I love my d90 because of the ergonomics and the top LCD for fast changing of settings.

I personally don't see any reasons for you to upgrade, because I am also using D5000 and find that it is still a good camera.
I recently also want to buy a new lens and probably is 18-200mm VR or VRII. If you have either one, you could sell the kit lens, although not much money you could get back.
And if possible, you may consider to buy the lens in Hong Kong because lenses there are selling at lower price, generally.

One of the reasons for upgrading the body is because of the flash system. I can use it as a master while D5000 couldn't. There's a huge difference between D5k and d300, especially the top LCD and shortcut buttons. I change settings very frequently and although d5k has new interface, it is still slow. D90 is also a good choice but i have big hands and the d90 doesn't really fit me well. I can wait until i have enough money to upgrade to d300 later but lens wise, i must buy it.
When i say abstract, i meant unusual sightings in the streets. i basically take all kinds of photos. But with so many lenses to choose from, i really don't know where to start.

Oh, i also do Events. Unofficial ones. (school events, friends birthday parties, family/friends weddings etc etc)

your camera is still relatively new and suits your needs so far

to shoot buildings, you might want to consider dedicated tilt-shift lens
for landscapes, you might want to get a wide angle lens, e.g. Tokina 12-24mm lens

:)

One of the reasons for upgrading the body is because of the flash system. I can use it as a master while D5000 couldn't. There's a huge difference between D5k and d300, especially the top LCD and shortcut buttons. I change settings very frequently and although d5k has new interface, it is still slow. D90 is also a good choice but i have big hands and the d90 doesn't really fit me well. I can wait until i have enough money to upgrade to d300 later but lens wise, i must buy it.
When i say abstract, i meant unusual sightings in the streets. i basically take all kinds of photos. But with so many lenses to choose from, i really don't know where to start.

since that's the case, then i feel option 3 is the most suitable for u. u wanna play with the CLS system + u wanna do events, and in these cases a flash is necessary.

your camera is still relatively new and suits your needs so far

to shoot buildings, you might want to consider dedicated tilt-shift lens
for landscapes, you might want to get a wide angle lens, e.g. Tokina 12-24mm lens

:)

i do shoot buildings, but not to that professional extent :)

since that's the case, then i feel option 3 is the most suitable for u. u wanna play with the CLS system + u wanna do events, and in these cases a flash is necessary.

hmm thanks for your opinion, will look into it :) Option 3 might be beyond the $2300 (presume). Not sure if i can even sell for $800.

You can also consider D7000 with battery grip as your camera body. It has better high ISO capabilities which is needed for events and weddings. But I've had no problems shooting what you shoot (I don't shoot weddings though) with a D5000 for 2 years, except discomfort due to small grip. But I suggest you get a decent wide angle zoom instead of a 18-200, since the 18-200 has too much distortion at the wide end to be comfortable for buildings. You seldom need tele for events.

ever considered a Sigma 10-20 wide angle or something alike?

razermouth said:

D300 would likely make little difference to the quality of shots you produce, but if it feels better in your hands and makes you wanna go out and shoot more, that MIGHT be the big difference ;)

If it were me, I'd go for a 2nd hand D90 and a fast lens, eg. 17-50/2.8
Still got enough $$ left over to get SB600.
if you don't need the TTL capability, can even get a cheaper manual strobe for <$100 :)

D300 would likely make little difference to the quality of shots you produce, but if it feels better in your hands and makes you wanna go out and shoot more, that MIGHT be the big difference ;)

If it were me, I'd go for a 2nd hand D90 and a fast lens, eg. 17-50/2.8
Still got enough $$ left over to get SB600.
if you don't need the TTL capability, can even get a cheaper manual strobe for <$100 :)

Exactly my point :thumbsup:

A d300 IMO is for ppl with bigger hands. Otherwise, the quality obtained is similar to a d90.

Thanks for your opinions guys. now i have more choices to choose from. I didn't know the 18-200 has distortions when on wide angle focal length.. I would buy 2nd hand nikon products but not 3rd party products. Don't know why, guess i can't trust them. I've seen quite alot of reviews and it seems that it's not as sharp as nikon.

IQ of 18-55 is better than 18-200.
18-200 gives you versatility only!
My 1st body is D300
My 1st lens is 18-200 and I thought that's the end of my investment into photography.

........... how wrong was I.

In my opinion, 500 just to get on camera flash commander, of course, you get faster fps, ... as well is not worth it because your support system also needs changing. I.E. from SD to CF, charger, battery, remote trigger, ... etc. So that portion will incur some costs as well.

D300 is a good body, don't get it wrong. But I feel that you already have a capable body for the things you want to shoot. 18-55 is a decent lens.

For architectures and landscapes, you don't need fast lens. And you need wide angle, if 18 is not wide enough. You have think of Tokina 11-16. It's one 3rd party lens that is VERY sharp and I used to have it before I moved to FX. Among the 3rd party lens that I used to have, only Tokina 11-16, I have no regrets getting. That's about 850 2nd hand.

For abstracts and still life, if you need longer range you can get 55-200, think 250 2nd hand.

You still have 400 to get SB600 and tripod (if you don't have one).

Last edited:
IQ of 18-55 is better than 18-200.
18-200 gives you versatility only!
My 1st body is D300
My 1st lens is 18-200 and I thought that's the end of my investment into photography.

........... how wrong was I.

In my opinion, 500 just to get on camera flash commander, of course, you get faster fps, ... as well is not worth it because your support system also needs changing. I.E. from SD to CF, charger, battery, remote trigger, ... etc. So that portion will incur some costs as well.

D300 is a good body, don't get it wrong. But I feel that you already have a capable body for the things you want to shoot. 18-55 is a decent lens.

For architectures and landscapes, you don't need fast lens. And you need wide angle, if 18 is not wide enough. You have think of Tokina 11-16. It's one 3rd party lens that is VERY sharp and I used to have it before I moved to FX. Among the 3rd party lens that I used to have, only Tokina 11-16, I have no regrets getting. That's about 850 2nd hand.

For abstracts and still life, if you need longer range you can get 55-200, think 250 2nd hand.

You still have 400 to get SB600 and tripod (if you don't have one).

Thanks for sharing your views. I personally don't mind the D5000 of course. I frequently change settings in events because of lighting problems. Even if i get the commander and sb-600, the problem still lies on the buttons. I hardly see any difference in Color, ISO, IQ etc. I does seems i pretty already decided i want the d300 already but it lacks some options the D5000 have. There's this super fast comparision which did provide me more info.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300-vs-Nikon_D5000

Thanks for sharing your views. I personally don't mind the D5000 of course. I frequently change settings in events because of lighting problems. Even if i get the commander and sb-600, the problem still lies on the buttons. I hardly see any difference in Color, ISO, IQ etc. I does seems i pretty already decided i want the d300 already but it lacks some options the D5000 have. There's this super fast comparision which did provide me more info.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300-vs-Nikon_D5000

from wad i see, d300 doesnt have video function and a tilt-able lcd screen. imho, they r nt impt, altho the tilt-able lcd screen does help me to get some super low angle shots before. i was a d5000 user too

as for lenses, i recommend 16-85 as a travel lens if u dun need the tele range. it's a great lens and can be used for landscape work

18-105 or 18-135 work great as well. if u realli need tele, get the 55-300 if possible. or save up for a AF-D 80-200 f/2.8, now that ur options haf widened after gettin d300.

Last edited:
whatever option you choose, do factor in the purhase of a external flash...
since you shoot events and wedding etc.... it does change the way you shoot and you will be pleasantly surprised :)

external flash is not useful for your landscape shoots though....