Nikon EN-EL15 "battery age"?

voux

Feb 10, 2006
Kembangan
Hi, wonder if anyone has had problems with their original Nikon EN-EL15 battery?

Bought a Nikon D800 in Nov 2012 and it shows the Battery Age as 3 now (0 = good, 4 = dying). In fact, the other original EN-EL15 battery I bought also shows up as 3. They are charged up using the supplied MH-25 charger after assignments when they drop below 50%.

Quite surprised the EN-EL15 Battery Age has dropped to 3 in less than 6 months, especially when the EN-EL3e I have in the D90/D700 that still show as 0 despite their age...

Wonder if anyone had similar experience? What could be the problem? Are original Nikon batteries covered under any warranty?

Mine are ok still 4 bars. U can check the battery batch number to make sure it was a current batch at the time if your purchase.

Batteries are covered by 6 months warranty. So u should get it checked by nsc.

Mine are ok still 4 bars. U can check the battery batch number to make sure it was a current batch at the time if your purchase.

Batteries are covered by 6 months warranty. So u should get it checked by nsc.

Dropped by NSC & yes, somehow both batteries had problems & had to get them replaced. Btw, they said there's no warranty for batteries though.

I had the same problem. It seems that those that bears serial number 201207xxxx onwards are the ones affected. I have since gotten a new battery with seial number 2013xxxxx. Keeping my fingers crossed now.....

trd2970 said:
Batteries are covered by 6 months warranty.

At least within the EU that's the case but probably not in Singapore.

Last edited:
Dropped by NSC & yes, somehow both batteries had problems & had to get them replaced. Btw, they said there's no warranty for batteries though.

It's still within 6 months of ur nov 12 purchase date....lemon law still applicable

Bought my cam two weeks ago and batt is in the 2013xxxxx series.
So far no issue .... took @ 600 shots on one outing last sunday morning with batt still showing 80% power reserve
Will monitor and update

I thought I am the only one having thiss problem. though battery age is still 0, but usually it will drop to 99% in less than 24 hours and 95% after a week after charging without even putting inside the camera. my batteries are 201206xxx and 201209xxx.

My EN-EL3e after...5-6 years still age 0 and after a week it still show 100%

I thought I am the only one having thiss problem. though battery age is still 0, but usually it will drop to 99% in less than 24 hours and 95% after a week after charging without even putting inside the camera. my batteries are 201206xxx and 201209xxx.

My EN-EL3e after...5-6 years still age 0 and after a week it still show 100%

I would be more suspicious about 100% after 5-6 weeks, that seems unrealistic, doesn't it?

I would be more suspicious about 100% after 5-6 weeks, that seems unrealistic, doesn't it?

Erm... you read wrongly i guessed.

I am not sure if I am being paranoid... Got my d800 during end January. The battery has been draining at quite a fast rate - 55% left after 120 shots. As I came from a d7000 (using the same type of battery), the battery usage for my d800 seems much faster. I do use live view and continuous high to take bracketing shots(but that's what I always do when I have my d7000). My battery serial is 201209xxx.. The battery lifespan indicator is still at 0 but I find that I always need to charge the battery after every outing of ~200-300 general shots. I wonder if that is normal for the d800?

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am being paranoid... Got my d800 during end January. The battery has been draining at quite a fast rate - 55% left after 120 shots. As I came from a d7000 (using the same type of battery), the battery usage for my d800 seems much faster. I do use live view and continuous high to take bracketing shots(but that's what I always do when I have my d7000). My battery serial is 201209xxx.. The battery lifespan indicator is still at 0 though but I find that I always need to charge the battery after every outing of ~200-300 general shots. I wonder if that is normal for the d800?

That doesn't sound normal unless you really use LV very excessively.

That doesn't sound normal unless you really use LV very excessively.

Precisely.. I am not using LV unless if I am doing bracketing shots(to avoid mirror shake). Would say is only about 10-20% of the time.. So for the battery life to drop about 40% after 100+ shots really quite dodgy right? Sighzz...

Precisely.. I am not using LV unless if I am doing bracketing shots(to avoid mirror shake). Would say is only about 10-20% of the time.. So for the battery life to drop about 40% after 100+ shots really quite dodgy right? Sighzz...

The same battery lasts even longer in my V1 and that's LV only. :) I don't have much recent experience with the D800 but the D600 should be similar so I think the juice you're getting out of your battery sounds fishy.

The same battery lasts even longer in my V1 and that's LV only. :) I don't have much recent experience with the D800 but the D600 should be similar so I think the juice you're getting out of your battery sounds fishy.

Sobzzzz....... Unless D800 is really very power hungry.. If not I don't see why my 1yr old OMD battery life(full time LV) outperforms it. Maybe I should just 'try my luck' and call NSC(although I know I will be disappointed).

from my experiences, new camera batteries will have better performance only after a few rounds of recharging cycles.

so just use the battery normally, store the battery in full charge, don't let the battery power deplete totally without recharging,

once the battery power drop dead and being neglected after some time, you will not able to revive it.

All lithium ion batteries age the moment it is being manufactured.... It life span is approx. 3-4 years regardless charging or recharging.... eventually it will dies...
So the safest is to get the latest batch and not 2 years' old stocks... :)

anyone has this problem for the battery not up to 100% after charging. mine always stuck at 75%, even though i let it charge for 1 day

anyone has this problem for the battery not up to 100% after charging. mine always stuck at 75%, even though i let it charge for 1 day

I think your battery confirm got problem, better get a new one in case it fails when u need it at crucial time.

The newer batch of batteries seems to work better compared to those with serial number 2012xxxxxxx too.