Nikon DX 18-70mm on Film Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cursor

May 24, 2003
cursor.instantlogic.com
Hi guys and gals,
I wanted to know if I mount a DX lens for example 18-70mm, on a file body such as F80, can it works? I understand it for sure can mount on but will I be able to use it widest angle of 18mm? Also will the metering works correctly?
Thanks in advance.

can work, but you will have vigenetting

So in another words, if I own a flim and digital SLR bodies, it will not be worth to invest in DX lens liao. Cos flim body can't use it.

depends... apparently this serious vignetting only happens for the 18-70... most cost effective i guess

you would still want to have a DX lens for a wide angle solution for digital cameras

unless you have a 18mm non DX lens.. then forget it

ckiang said:
Unfortunately, even at 70mm, there's visible vignetting on a film body. :(

Regards
CK

Hmmm such a coincidence! I just realised that my DX18-70MM lens vignets at 70MM on my D70. Is this the norm? I was going to post it on the forum when I saw this thread :)

The other focal lengths look ok though. And apologies, but what do you mean by 'even at 70MM, there is visible vignetting'? I thought vignetting should be more visible at telephoto than wide angle? so more likely to vignet at 70MM than 18 right?

this is what u'll get @ 18mm on film body

F1260034.jpeg

same thing at 70mm

yup...vignettin is a problem...i work on both film and digital...so i only get ed lens....

Silverelf said:
Hmmm such a coincidence! I just realised that my DX18-70MM lens vignets at 70MM on my D70. Is this the norm? I was going to post it on the forum when I saw this thread :)

The other focal lengths look ok though. And apologies, but what do you mean by 'even at 70MM, there is visible vignetting'? I thought vignetting should be more visible at telephoto than wide angle? so more likely to vignet at 70MM than 18 right?

The 18-70mm should not vignette at 70mm on your D70 - unless something else is causing it. Do you have a sample image ? Seems strange that you have vignetting at 70mm and not at other focal lengths - 'cos vignetting is more of a problem at the wide end.

I've read somewhere that the maximum image circle is obtained for the 18-70 at 50mm.

its true tt any non dx lens will do....but the ed's image quality is better i feel...haha..

Witness said:
yup...vignettin is a problem...i work on both film and digital...so i only get ed lens....
erm, the current DX lenses are all ED. what u need are non-DX ED lenses

gooseberry said:
The 18-70mm should not vignette at 70mm on your D70 - unless something else is causing it. Do you have a sample image ? Seems strange that you have vignetting at 70mm and not at other focal lengths - 'cos vignetting is more of a problem at the wide end.

Well, I have finally managed to uplaod these images, my PC's not that young anymore :)

Anyway, please dun mind the quality of the content. These are 2 unedited pics of the same scene at 2 focal lengths.

34MM, f4, JPEG Normal
Dsc_0005.jpg

70MM, f4, JPEG Normal
Dsc_0006.jpg

I can't see any vignetting on the 34MM shot, but I can see slight vignetting on the 70MM shot. Judging by the reponse, this is a cause for concern??? :cry:

Hope someone can shed more light on this.

That's light falloff. Are you sure you can shoot at 70mm f4 on this lens? This is a 18-70 f3.5-4.5.

Step down to f8 or more and see if its still there.

Silverelf said:

Like Zerstorer said, what you are experiencing is light falloff. Stopping it down a bit should solve the problem. I tried the lens in the shop on a FM2 and despite not having a 100% viewfinder, can already see bad vignetting. So it's not usable on a film body at all. The Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G can be used on a film body from around 16mm onwards though.

Regards
CK

Thanks guys! That's why I say Clubsnap is a good place for blur sotongs like me! I didn't notice the aperture thing cos it never was a problem for me on my old trusty FM2 :)

Really got lots of things to learn man... sigh. One more KO for me :lol: OOPS!

Witness said:
its true tt any non dx lens will do....but the ed's image quality is better i feel...haha..

A lot of Nikon's prime lenses (most of them in fact, other than the telephoto primes) have no ED glass, but no one's saying that their image quality is worse than ED lenses. :D

Hi all. Since someone started this, i like to ask the similar question on Nikkor AFS 17-55mm f2.8 DX. I have been thinking about this for sometime. At what "mm" will this lens beable to use on 35mm film? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.