Nikon DSLR sensor cleaning - DIY or service center?

atlantiz6

Mar 19, 2009
Hi,

Does any knows how much does it cost to have my Nikon D40 sensor cleaned and service? How long does it normally take?

DO you guys send it to the Nikon service center or do you DIY?

I had some annoying dust particles on my sensor and it makes me uncomfortable when taking photos, especially at high f-stops.

Lastly, what is the best way to identify if it is fungus or dust particle, be it in your lens or sensor?

Thanks. :)

i do it once a year at service center... if you don't mind the price can go twice a year... i find that DIY cleaning kit price (whole kit including everything like sgd80) not that cheap compared to service center... so i opt for the lazy way... even i do it twice a year only like sgd50 only...

hope this helps...

Hey jaRv1s, thanks for the info... so, are you saying that it cost $50 dollars for each servicing at the Nikon Service Center?

I would learn how to DIY. when you're out shooting, you won't have time to send it to the service centre.

Hi,

Does any knows how much does it cost to have my Nikon D40 sensor cleaned and service? How long does it normally take?

DO you guys send it to the Nikon service center or do you DIY?

I had some annoying dust particles on my sensor and it makes me uncomfortable when taking photos, especially at high f-stops.

Lastly, what is the best way to identify if it is fungus or dust particle, be it in your lens or sensor?

Thanks. :)

Try to blow out the dust particles using a blower, is it really bad, i will just send to NSC for sensor cleaning

Fungus looks like some sort of spider webbie thing, its quite obvious..

Hey jaRv1s, thanks for the info... so, are you saying that it cost $50 dollars for each servicing at the Nikon Service Center?

To correct ur misinterpretation of Bro Jarvis comments, it should be ard 25+ including gst (he mentioned twice a year) :)

used to visit NSC, but since mid last year they start charging sensor clearing, I DIY sensor cleaning now.

currently using the LensPen SensorKlear Loupe Kit w/SensorKlear II, a great saving for my time and money.

Oh, I thought I also in the minority group... I used to be very sensitive about sensor, but after seeing someone convert a cam to IR right before my eyes, I have no issue about cleaning the AA filter in front of the sensor. Afterall, never really touch the sensor.

But of course, there's still a possibility I could scratch the AA filter but :dunno: ah well. Not like do every day or even every month.

well,i guess i'll have to send it to NSC this time round since there are some finger prints on my sensor... I got so pissed off my first attempt using the cloth used to clean specs and rubbed it with my fingers...

well,i guess i'll have to send it to NSC this time round since there are some finger prints on my sensor... I got so pissed off my first attempt using the cloth used to clean specs and rubbed it with my fingers...
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

DIY myself too. Save you money in the long run

first you use CLOTH

then you use fingers

you are a winner.

Brave attempt! Which manual told you this? Bring to NSC and have it cleaned. I do recommend some more reading before you get itchy fingers about the next dust spot.

best to go to a service center really

You can view this link.

Good if you know what you are doing. Else send & pay NSC to do the job for you.