Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

suspect will be same as the 24 1.4 and 85 1.4 :sweatsm:

Don't guess, you'll be disappointed if it turns out differently... frankly as long as it works okay, I don't think matters. 17-35 was a popular lens only that its motor will break down according to users, even though it's on the large SWM... so what gives? Just be glad your motor doesn't go, even if it's on a small piece...

at least i know the repair cost will be lower if it does breaks down ;)

Great research & writeup. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

another thing is I am surprised they include the 'slower' motor in the 24 1.4, 85 1.4, both of which high end prime lens which deserve better motors.
interesting decision by Nikon. Maybe someone can go and email them to ask about this disparity :)

the first thing i wonder after i saw this post as well.

But great post! pictures are always nice

ryan

I wonder whether the compact DC motor fits the the ultrasonic motor category, which nikon states so. I think it's easy to tell because conventional DC motor has a permanent magnet and ultrasonic one shouldn't.

another thing is I am surprised they include the 'slower' motor in the 24 1.4, 85 1.4, both of which high end prime lens which deserve better motors.
interesting decision by Nikon. Maybe someone can go and email them to ask about this disparity :)

ryan

it could be a physical design limitation :dunno:
not always possible to put the best parts into a product if the parts just dun fit as well or work as expected ?

ryan

agree, Great effort :) :thumbsup:

allows us to understand a little more why some AF faster some slower despite all being term as AFS :bsmilie:

12-24mm F2.8 AFS FF lens
5058780827_1930ca44e1_z.jpg

This should be 14-24 right?

thanks for sharing.. :) smaller motor =/= lower repair cost.. I think...

That's informative John .. Tks

if Nikon slapped a faster motor, these lenses will probably be too expensive :sweat::sweatsm:

@ TS, thanks for sharing. Very informative. Should this thread be stickied? ;p

Thanks for the sharing the info. I am sure Nikon had considered cost as a factor as well as the size. Tell me which company doesn't want to maximize profits? :dunno:

Tried the 24 1.4 G and 85 1.4 G at NSC.

Focus is not horribly slow as it may seem to be like.

Also, from a user pov, those using D300 and D700 will need to use EN-EL4 or 8 AAs on their MB-D10 to acquire maximum AF speed, even if it's a non AF-D lens. Try it for yourself.

but the contradicting thing is the lousier SWMs in the 24mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 is so much faster then the better SWM in the AFS 50mm.. Go try them in NCS..;)

but the contradicting thing is the lousier SWMs in the 24mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 is so much faster then the better SWM in the AFS 50mm.. Go try them in NCS..;)

I think there are other considerations that we don't know of in the design. It is not the bigger the better right?

I think there are other considerations that we don't know of in the design. It is not the bigger the better right?

i nv say bigger is better.. but for lenses they are usually bigger the better:bsmilie:

Three years back,

The cost to change Ring-Type motor on the 17-35mm F2.8 is $735 Sing$.

The cost changing the Ring-Type motor of the AFS 80-200mm F2.8 the cost is $835 Sing$.