Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Nikon Df inherits the FX-format CMOS sensor from Nikon’s professional flagship D-SLR, the D4, also its High ISO performance ?.

High ISO images comparison (Nikon Df vs D610 vs D800E vs D700)
Image courtesy to photographylife.com

Nikon Df @ISO 25600

Nikon-Df-ISO-25600.jpg

Nikon D610 @ISO 25600

Nikon-D610-ISO-25600.jpg

Nikon D800E @ISO 25600

Nikon-D800E-ISO-25600.jpg

Nikon D700 @ISO 25600

Nikon-D700-ISO-25600.jpg

Last edited:
Nikon Df @ISO 51200

Nikon-Df-ISO-51200.jpg

Nikon Df @ISO 102400

Nikon-Df-ISO-102400.jpg

Maybe my eyes get blurry, but the high ISO performance of Nikon D700 @ISO 25600 is about the same with Nikon Df @ISO 102400

D700 was announced back in 2008, there is about 2 stops of high ISO improvement over these 5 years :D

That's not from Df, the images are from D4. Have to wait for actual test. Photographylife is beginning to behave like krw. That fellow hasn't even laid his hands on one already wrote like 7 articles on Df and the accompanying 50mm.

That's not from Df, the images are from D4. Have to wait for actual test. Photographylife is beginning to behave like krw. That fellow hasn't even laid his hands on one already wrote like 7 articles on Df and the accompanying 50mm.
The guy runs the website as a means to generate some revenue, so obviously he'd run it like a business.

Anyway, the camera uses the same sensor and same image processing pipeline, so unless Nikon deliberately cripples the camera, I'm not seeing a problem with the comparison.

What is the point of clean high iso if the focus is crap? Clean out of focus shoot?

What is the point of writing an opinion if that opinion is crap? Clean out of ignorance crap?

You have not seen the camera, the output of the sensor, the performance of the AF, you know nothing, and you do not hesitate to condemn it ... OK you probably speculate from D600 or D610.

Pure speculation.

BTW, a number of users will use this with their old manual focus lens, and this will be a nostalgic tour back to the 1980s, or earlier.

I am thinking about using the Df with a Nikkor-S 5cm f/2, a Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, a Nikkor-H 28mm f/3.5, a Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5 with the Ai flap out of the way. Manual focus, manual exposure, pure photography, clean high ISO. If the focus is crap, it is my eyes.

I don't want to make this personal, but it might be better for you to ogle at Sony A7.

Reactions: macaroni
The guy runs the website as a means to generate some revenue, so obviously he'd run it like a business.

Anyway, the camera uses the same sensor and same image processing pipeline, so unless Nikon deliberately cripples the camera, I'm not seeing a problem with the comparison.

Agree. But hardly the time to pronounce it as anything. My guess is that it will deliver high ISO performance, and there is no need to cripple the camera, as the rest of the specs are not D4. It really is a mini-D4 for nostalgia. Would have love to get the D800 AF module, though, but I will take whatever I can get. My digital FE2...

What is the point of writing an opinion if that opinion is crap? Clean out of ignorance crap?

You have not seen the camera, the output of the sensor, the performance of the AF, you know nothing, and you do not hesitate to condemn it ... OK you probably speculate from D600 or D610.

Pure speculation.

BTW, a number of users will use this with their old manual focus lens, and this will be a nostalgic tour back to the 1980s, or earlier.

I am thinking about using the Df with a Nikkor-S 5cm f/2, a Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, a Nikkor-H 28mm f/3.5, a Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5 with the Ai flap out of the way. Manual focus, manual exposure, pure photography, clean high ISO. If the focus is crap, it is my eyes.

I don't want to make this personal, but it might be better for you to ogle at Sony A7.

Probably for everybody who wants to use legacy Nikon glass, at least it has a manual focus aid and can adapt more lenses.

Last edited:

Pure speculation.

What's wrong with speculation? If u are going to use manual lenses then good for u. But a D4 sensor with D610 focusing system is lame. Will u buy a retro Ferrari with Honda parts and sold for BMW price? I wouldn't.

Chill Ah.. basic photography is already learning how to due with limitations.. No point debating abt user's preference..
Take nice pics. That's all... Df is clearly targeted at a specific type photographer.. it will be better If discussion is kept how to enjoy the cam.. ;)

What's wrong with speculation? If u are going to use manual lenses then good for u. But a D4 sensor with D610 focusing system is lame. Will u buy a retro Ferrari with Honda parts and sold for BMW price? I wouldn't.

The analogy is, well, lame. A retro Ferrari is a Leica, Honda parts would be Canon and Nikon, and there is no BMW is this race.

A D4 sensor in a D610 focusing system in the right hands will give superb pictures. A D4 in the wrong hands will still not produce anything special. You are missing the point of the Df. It is meant to be a camera for those who want to work slowly, who think through their shots, who work on their creativity.

Not for someone who shoots before thinking, speculate and accuse, it is not for you.

It is also clear that the Leica ASPH or the new Zeiss lens is not for me. And the M9 system and the rangefinder focusing is not for me. And I left it as that. If the guys with the bucks appreciates that, so be it. No need to call the equipment crap.

Just wait for actual production units to be out, when the reviewers make their say, when CSers lay their hands on the camera. Then we see if the focus is crap.

We will see if the shutter is indeed from D600 and maybe even spatter oil, or the left focus is really crappy. Then by all means, call it crap. Just not now.

The analogy is, well, lame. A retro Ferrari is a Leica, Honda parts would be Canon and Nikon, and there is no BMW is this race.

A D4 sensor in a D610 focusing system in the right hands will give superb pictures. A D4 in the wrong hands will still not produce anything special. You are missing the point of the Df. It is meant to be a camera for those who want to work slowly, who think through their shots, who work on their creativity.

Not for someone who shoots before thinking, speculate and accuse, it is not for you.

It is also clear that the Leica ASPH or the new Zeiss lens is not for me. And the M9 system and the rangefinder focusing is not for me. And I left it as that. If the guys with the bucks appreciates that, so be it. No need to call the equipment crap.

Just wait for actual production units to be out, when the reviewers make their say, when CSers lay their hands on the camera. Then we see if the focus is crap.

We will see if the shutter is indeed from D600 and maybe even spatter oil, or the left focus is really crappy. Then by all means, call it crap. Just not now.

Its ok if u want to attack me and speculate what kind of shooter I am. I m sure it makes u feel good. Btw i m talking about performance in my analogy not brand.

A gentle reminder to everyone here to keep it civil.

The camera is just announced and no one has gotten one yet to test fully with sample images. Best to relac and enjoy the ride for now. Whether the camera is for you or not for you is your own business. No need to cry like God has forsaken you. Not happy with it? don't buy. Love it? buy. It is that simple.

Probably for everybody who wants to use legacy Nikon glass, at least it has a manual focus aid and can adapt more lenses.

The only advantage this has over D800/D610/D600/D7100/D7000/D300s etc as far as lenses go is the use of non-Ai lenses, which is interesting at most. Majority would be able to use Ai and AiS already on their existing systems. Or the ability to use lenses pre-1977 is with Df.

I think the camera screams "buy me" to all those who started shooting with FM, FE, FM2, FE2. It invokes an emotional response from those from that era, it did with me. It kinda updates the good old FM/FE way of working but with digital output, and I think this is what attracts the old timers, at least this is how I feel.

But I agree with DP Review in that Nikon should have gone one step further and included a split-image focusing screen with the camera, or have interchangeable screens like FM2/FE2.

Last edited:
A gentle reminder to everyone here to keep it civil.

The camera is just announced and no one has gotten one yet to test fully with sample images. Best to relac and enjoy the ride for now. Whether the camera is for you or not for you is your own business. No need to cry like God has forsaken you. Not happy with it? don't buy. Love it? buy. It is that simple.

I agree.

I think the camera screams "buy me" to all those who started shooting with FM, FE, FM2, FE2. It invokes an emotional response from those from that era, it did with me. It kinda updates the good old FM/FE way of working but with digital output, and I think this is what attracts the old timers, at least this is how I feel.

But I agree with DP Review in that Nikon should have gone one step further and included a split-image focusing screen with the camera, or have interchangeable screens like FM2/FE2.

I am one of them. Without an interchangeable optional focusing screen, I really do not know how I can use my set of ais lenses on the Df. With just the focus confirmation? Nikon has to clarify this soon, otherwise this group of people you mentioned will be disappointed.

You just described how photography should be, regardless of what camera you're using.

So your argument that this camera is made for this kind of photographer makes no sense. Are you saying that only this camera gives people this option?

I am one of them. Without an interchangeable optional focusing screen, I really do not know how I can use my set of ais lenses on the Df. With just the focus confirmation? Nikon has to clarify this soon, otherwise this group of people you mentioned will be disappointed.

Agreed. Likely there'll be independent focusing screen available later. But that's disappointing to say the least.

You just described how photography should be, regardless of what camera you're using.

So your argument that this camera is made for this kind of photographer makes no sense. Are you saying that only this camera gives people this option?

No it is not. The opposite is true, this kind of camera (like the manual focus Leica, for lack of comparison) does not allow one to work quickly. So those who want to work quickly for whatever reason, like needing 9fps or 2000 point AF won't like this camera.

Of course those with 9 fps camera can work slowly and be extremely thoughtful in the process as well, just as you have described.

Last edited: