Nikon Df - the new King of High ISO performance ?

So, do you think Nikon had in mind this group of old people when the Df was conceived? Surely not.

Don't know. I think it is an over sight, wrong decision. I don't like it at all.

No it is not. The opposite is true, this kind of camera (like the manual focus Leica, for lack of comparison) does not allow one to work quickly. So those who want to work quickly for whatever reason, like needing 9fps or 2000 point AF won't like this camera.

39 points and 5.5 fps are not as good as D4 standards but you can work with that quickly. The Df doesn't force you to slow down, it offers a modern DSLR interface like other ones. I think they should have removed the LCD screen and back buttons and should have build in a WiFi interface instead. Would be even more pure photography to shoot like in film days and at the end of the day you can simply browse through your photos on the phone. :)

39 points and 5.5 fps are not as good as D4 standards but you can work with that quickly. The Df doesn't force you to slow down, it offers a modern DSLR interface like other ones. I think they should have removed the LCD screen and back buttons and should have build in a WiFi interface instead. Would be even more pure photography to shoot like in film days and at the end of the day you can simply browse through your photos on the phone. :)

I totally agree with you. It is just slower. Not slow.

I don't think so. It could be a good business decision. Let's wait and see.

For me I'm totally sold on the camera. Now to wait and see if there'd be issues like what plagued D600 and D800 in the initial months then decide when to buy. I did wait almost a year before purchasing D800. And I may also look for third party split-image screen or just rely on the ground glass to focus.

If it is a business decision and expecting a younger audience to buy into Retro, and judging from internet responses, Nikon is likely dead wrong.

For me I'm totally sold on the camera. Now to wait and see if there'd be issues like what plagued D600 and D800 in the initial months then decide when to buy. I did wait almost a year before purchasing D800. And I may also look for third party split-image screen or just rely on the ground glass to focus.

If it is a business decision and expecting a younger audience to buy into Retro, and judging from internet responses, Nikon is likely dead wrong.

Define younger... I have already heard a couple of friends I. Their late twenties expressing interest.. it's just the price that puts them off...

Anw, the af points can definitely be better and one thing I'm puzzled... is expeed 4 so difficult to include?

Define younger... I have already heard a couple of friends I. Their late twenties expressing interest.. it's just the price that puts them off...

Anw, the af points can definitely be better and one thing I'm puzzled... is expeed 4 so difficult to include?

Room for upgrade mah

Define younger... I have already heard a couple of friends I. Their late twenties expressing interest.. it's just the price that puts them off... Anw, the af points can definitely be better and one thing I'm puzzled... is expeed 4 so difficult to include?

Those who pickup from F801 onwards as younger, older as those before F801. With that target audience the price point is right, more spare cash, sense of nostalgia, possibly a few AiS lens that was used to photograph the lady who is now the mother his college going kids. The price point also give it some exclusivity. And re-live the feel of the day he bought his FM.

If successful I do expect another model with lower specs and price point to emerge. Nikon's way of operation. My guess is more than a few D800 users would have gone for D600 had they known that. 24 mp model was coming.

If successful I do expect another model with lower specs and price point to emerge. Nikon's way of operation. My guess is more than a few D800 users would have gone for D600 had they known that. 24 mp model was coming.

If by your speculation, i sure hope u r right on the lower price point.. a lower price of entry will sure attract.. just a matter of how much lower specs.. at of current specs.. its already wquite minimalist for a FX body of current tech.. :/

Probably what is surprising is the way they sell us and we buy cameras...

1. Start teaser marketing campaign very early.. lots of hoo haa [get people interested they said]
2. Start speculating about the next new camera as soon as a new camera is announced, lots of hoo haa [we have it all sorted out, D4x coming out right...!!!]
3. Start investigating and monitoring all patents and return to 2, a lot more hoo haa (what happened to that Nikon medium format?!) ["spying" other people's business from the keyboard, lots of free time but no time to take photos!]
4. Camera announced (either glorify it or slam it).. lots more hoo haa [we have judged it (from the pics that you have released) and we have found it either wanting or perfect]
5. Camera manufacturer carries out a survey to find out what's the fuss about from 4 [survey on launch (!) asking, what people thought of what they are not holding on their hands!! for real?]
5. Read lots of reviews and discussions from people who professionally do 2 even though they also have not seen the camera or touched it yet [they know best what we miles and miles away need!]
6. Urgently pre-order camera at a high price! more hoo haa while sleeping and dreaming about it.. [money has to be spend somewhere right?]
7. Camera arrives, fresh lots of hoo haa due to oily left sided (right side crystal clean!) manufacturing issues with the early batches [couldn't wait a bit till they sort things out, had to buy the first batches.. duuuh]
8. Buy camera.. but start thinking about how to spend more money and go back to 1 and 2 thinking about the new camera that they are designing / testing (do they?) / marketing!!... [oh yeah.. ]

live long and prosper everyone :)

Probably what is surprising is the way they sell us and we buy cameras...

1. Start teaser marketing campaign very early.. lots of hoo haa [get people interested they said]
2. Start speculating about the next new camera as soon as a new camera is announced, lots of hoo haa [we have it all sorted out, D4x coming out right...!!!]
3. Start investigating and monitoring all patents and return to 2, a lot more hoo haa (what happened to that Nikon medium format?!) ["spying" other people's business from the keyboard, lots of free time but no time to take photos!]
4. Camera announced (either glorify it or slam it).. lots more hoo haa [we have judged it (from the pics that you have released) and we have found it either wanting or perfect]
5. Camera manufacturer carries out a survey to find out what's the fuss about from 4 [survey on launch (!) asking, what people thought of what they are not holding on their hands!! for real?]
5. Read lots of reviews and discussions from people who professionally do 2 even though they also have not seen the camera or touched it yet [they know best what we miles and miles away need!]
6. Urgently pre-order camera at a high price! more hoo haa while sleeping and dreaming about it.. [money has to be spend somewhere right?]
7. Camera arrives, fresh lots of hoo haa due to oily left sided (right side crystal clean!) manufacturing issues with the early batches [couldn't wait a bit till they sort things out, had to buy the first batches.. duuuh]
8. Buy camera.. but start thinking about how to spend more money and go back to 1 and 2 thinking about the new camera that they are designing / testing (do they?) / marketing!!... [oh yeah.. ]

live long and prosper everyone :)

(Prequel)
0. Start spreading a rumor about new retro hybrid mirrorless full frame camera. :sweat:

Only but fair to add, others add your own at will...

0. Start spreading a rumor about new retro hybrid mirrorless full frame camera [which has been re-born right here in your very own CS, so don't buy this one, wait for the other one!!]

Live long and prosper from us, just like a casual bear said it!!

Nikon Df is the real King of High ISO performance.

High ISO at 12,800 is not problem. This is a straight out of camera jpeg with absolutely no noise reduction in camera.
It shows you the insane detail it keeps. It is really using D4 sensor and image processor at half the price.
Well done Nikon :thumbsup:

Note that some other brand apply noise reduction till make it looks like a paint brush.

12%2C800-sample.jpg

Image courtesy to Sam Hurd photography.

Another photo of the cat at ISO 12800, straight out of camera, no noise reduction.

cat-during-nikon-df-review.jpg

Image courtesy to Sam Hurd photography.

The day I retire from full time photography. I'll get a Df, but for now I'm loving my D3s & D610 combo. The Df is a real looker. Nice cam, performance also look solid.

Maybe my eyes get blurry, but the high ISO performance of Nikon D700 @ISO 25600 is about the same with Nikon Df @ISO 102400

D700 was announced back in 2008, there is about 2 stops of high ISO improvement over these 5 years :D

Agreed so much!

Another reason why Nikon Df can be called as King of High ISO Performance:

Link: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df/8
1. Increase the ISO to 25600
2. Move the area to be observed on the picture on nun admiring a painting on the left hand side
3. Now you can compare between Nikon Df vs Nikon D800 vs Nikon 610 vs Nikon D7100
(sorry to include D7100, because either D4 or D3s is not available for comparison)
4. Please make sure all are compared on the same base ISO, which is 25600

Who is the KING ! :)

Last edited:
Another reason why Nikon Df can be called as King of High ISO Performance: Link: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df/8 1. Increase the ISO to 25600 2. Move the area to be observed on the picture on nun admiring a painting on the left hand side 3. Now you can compare between Nikon Df vs Nikon D800 vs Nikon 610 vs Nikon D7100 (sorry to include D7100, because either D4 or D3s is not available for comparison) 4. Please make sure all are compared on the same base ISO, which is 25600 Who is the KING ! :)

Need to compare with 1Dx and the D4.