Nikon DF - Hands on, actually gloves on

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

The Nikon DF, a D4 sensor in a retro styled body and EXPEED 4

the retro styling is based on the knobs and dials you see above, some love it and some hate it
another thing to note is that it uses the EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery which is the same size as the EN-EL14 used in the D3000 and D5000 series of camera

the battery and SD card is kept under a weather sealed door on the bottom of the camera

I brought this camera to Finland to see what it can do, at first i was worried the under the sub zero temperatures the smaller battery would not last long
but it seems that Nikon did some magic and showed me otherwise, I even managed to do a 700 image time lapse.
I hope that this efficient use of power carries forward to future products. I would also like to see a batteries having a standard charging contact,
so that i do not have to carry so many chargers when i travel.

[video=youtube;42GA5Mu4AIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GA5Mu4AIs[/video]

will post more images later

Last edited:
Reactions: daredevil123
Coming from a D800, I am used to the digital buttons and at first, did not like the retro dials that slowed me down,
having brought the camera to cold cold finland, I had to shoot with gloves and I must say that the dials actually made it
easier to change settings and also forced me to slow down even more while shooting, the D800 made me slow down
and refine my shooting techniques. The DF with its retro dials also made me slow down even more and think about the exposure.

This is probably what they mean by "PURE PHOTOGRAPHY"
I enjoyed shooting with the DF, I would say that it made me rediscover photography all over again.
The retro styling did turn some heads, if it was a little slimmer it would be better.

OK enough talk, lets see what this camera can do.

13532791783_66e0ddcaa1_c.jpg

True test of low light capability

13532690875_e166bce68f_c.jpg

13532792483_b8d0583106_c.jpg

13532792773_b1e8b95c9b_c.jpg

shot with the help of a SB400 ceiling bounce

Last edited:

exposure is still good with all the white, shadow details are still preserved, let me find my shot of a black dog

Last edited:
Great shots...

True test of low light capability

13532792773_b1e8b95c9b_c.jpg

shot with the help of a SB400 ceiling bounce

Love this !
Looks like a painting.
Taken with what lens?
Can sell to Hallmark to make into a Christmas card. ;)

Last edited:
did u do alot of post processing?

The DR is WOW!

The dynamic range really tops Canon's 5DIII. Noise is very well controlled. Lovely photos btw.