Nikon D90

FuraCelest

Apr 2, 2011
Singapore
Pardon me for asking, what classification is the D90? Beginner or semipro? Cant seem to get the answer anywhere.

I own a d90. Wondering if the leap is too far. Its my 1st dslr.

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

FuraCelest said:
Pardon me for asking, what classification is the D90? Beginner or semipro? Cant seem to get the answer anywhere.

I own a d90. Wondering if the leap is too far. Its my 1st dslr.

Some sites calls it the enthusiast level cam.

If you wish to learn photography, D90 is just nice with lots of features for the learning process.

Entry level camera is fine too but I feel that some photography techniques are harder to achieve than this.

I would say D90 is an advanced consumer camera.

daredevil123 said:
Some sites calls it the enthusiast level cam.

So can i safely say its a beginner cam?

Cowseye said:
If you wish to learn photography, D90 is just nice with lots of features for the learning process.

Entry level camera is fine too but I feel that some photography techniques are harder to achieve than this.

I would say D90 is an advanced consumer camera.

Ah i see. So its a good investment right?

FuraCelest said:
So can i safely say its a beginner cam?

No. Not really beginner.

daredevil123 said:
No. Not really beginner.

Oh ok. But i must say the weight makes it a sturdy cam.

I would say upper entry level.

Dont be too hung up on level. I've seen people do pro work with the d90.

d90 is a camera that is gd for beginners n also gd for professional work.

like wad dd123 said, dun get too hung up on the level of the cam. there r even beginners who get cameras like leica m9 as their first cam.

Irvine said:
d90 is a camera that is gd for beginners n also gd for professional work.

like wad dd123 said, dun get too hung up on the level of the cam. there r even beginners who get cameras like leica m9 as their first cam.

True. I bought the cam without any research so i wondered if the level was too high. But infact it was relatively easy to use amazingly.

I dont think it really matters. A D3 in the hands of an absolute beginner doesn't make a difference, while a D3100 in the hands of an experienced professional could still produce stunning images.

At the end of the day, you're just looking at features and capabilities. The D90 offers independent dials for shutter speed and aperture control, plus the benefit of an on-body motor (so the AF-D lenses work just fine), and separate buttons for exposure compensation. All this, and still has 'easy' modes for Action, Portrait, Landscape, No Flash, etc. And it has Commander mode to wirelessly control off-camera Nikon Speedlights. High ISO performance shows its limits at ISO1600, and personally, I find ISO3200 to be pretty much unusable. Still, with creative use of lighting, you can still do quite a bit and not blow stupid amounts of money. 12.3MP is still a lot of pixels

Bottom line is, a good photog would put the D90 to good use, while a beginner would not easily recognize the benefits of a D3x.

ghoonk said:
I dont think it really matters. A D3 in the hands of an absolute beginner doesn't make a difference, while a D3100 in the hands of an experienced professional could still produce stunning images.

At the end of the day, you're just looking at features and capabilities. The D90 offers independent dials for shutter speed and aperture control, plus the benefit of an on-body motor (so the AF-D lenses work just fine), and separate buttons for exposure compensation. All this, and still has 'easy' modes for Action, Portrait, Landscape, No Flash, etc. And it has Commander mode to wirelessly control off-camera Nikon Speedlights. High ISO performance shows its limits at ISO1600, and personally, I find ISO3200 to be pretty much unusable. Still, with creative use of lighting, you can still do quite a bit and not blow stupid amounts of money. 12.3MP is still a lot of pixels

Bottom line is, a good photog would put the D90 to good use, while a beginner would not easily recognize the benefits of a D3x.

Thank you. Now i understand my d90 more.

One last bit, if I may add.... stop wondering, start shooting! :bsmilie:

Edit: I'm also a D90 user btw, and shooting with it has never been more fun. Remember to read the instruction manual to get the best of the cam, as there are a number of "hidden gems" inside this cam that you'll need time to uncover as you start your shooting journey. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
kriegsketten said:
One last bit, if I may add.... stop wondering, start shooting! :bsmilie:

Edit: I'm also a D90 user btw, and shooting with it has never been more fun. Remember to read the instruction manual to get the best of the cam, as there are a number of "hidden gems" inside this cam that you'll need time to uncover as you start your shooting journey. Have fun and good luck!

Totally agreed. I read the manually and found the bracketing function to be really useful.

Totally agreed. I read the manually and found the bracketing function to be really useful.

Good to know that you've starting digging deep into the manual (short of calling it a "bible"), but remember that these are just "theories" - what you know that the D90 can do. Don't forget to put them into "practice" - That is WHEN you get to experience the realities of shooting with a DSLR.

Btw, what makes DSLRs different to the typical point and shoot is this: it is not just a camera but a system - you need to know it's other VERY important half and that is the LENS... Without knowing anything about the lenses, a DSLR (body) is practically useless. That is why I urge you to start shooting while you read the manual. You'll be forced to work with both the body and lenses - why you can't get certain kind of images you're hoping for, why is it too bright or dark, etc etc etc. The internet (google) is your best friend, treat it as a dictionary/resource library at your beck and call.

Last edited:
kriegsketten said:
Good to know that you've starting digging deep into the manual (short of calling it a "bible"), but remember that these are just "theories" - what you know that the D90 can do. Don't forget to put them into "practice" - That is WHEN you get to experience the realities of shooting with a DSLR.

Btw, what makes DSLRs different to the typical point and shoot is this: it is not just a camera but a system - you need to know it's other VERY important half and that is the LENS... Without knowing anything about the lenses, a DSLR (body) is practically useless. That is why I urge you to start shooting while you read the manual. The internet (google) is your best friend, treat it as a dictionary/resource library at your beck and call.

Very true my friend. I read quite alot from the manual and pratice alot too. Its really amazing on what the dslr can do. I still can remember how clueless i was on the first day i had my d90. And as the days go by, i understand more and it got easier along the way.

Were you advised when u buy your D90? You are quite daring if u didn't had anyone to advise you. It took me a gift of D60 to my gf and playing and researching her camera for a yr before I get my D90. Only to realize I knew less than half of what I need to know in a DSLR. Another yr pass and now I'm eyeing on a D300s or it's successor.

Last edited:
Cowseye said:
Were you advised when u buy your D90? You are quite daring if u didn't had anyone to advise you. It took me a gift of D60 to my gf and playing and researching her camera for a yr before I get my D90. Only to realize I knew less than half of what I need to know in a DSLR. Another yr pass and now I'm eyeing on a D300s or it's successor.

Oh no i wasnt. I got a nikon to please my girlfriend and also be the 2nd nikon user in my group of friends. And im glad it turned out to be a gd cam. As the days goes by the cam just grew on to me.

Oh no i wasnt. I got a nikon to please my girlfriend and also be the 2nd nikon user in my group of friends. And im glad it turned out to be a gd cam. As the days goes by the cam just grew on to me.

I personally don't think it's a wise decision to buy a camera in order to please someone or to fit into a group :)
But in the end it seems to have worked out to your satisfaction, so am happy for you. haha

Don't waste your brain cells worrying about how to classify the D90. What's more important is that you find it easy/intuitive to use, and it helps the photography experience to be a pleasant one.

I've tried a number of cameras which, though packed with features, seem to take the joy out of photography. Thankfully the D90 isn't one of them ;)
Use it more and get more familiar with all the intricacies. Hopefully you'll enjoy using it more.

cheers!