Nikon D90 vs Canon 550D

weiqiang84

Apr 28, 2010
Hougang
hi,

i am new to DSLR and looking to choose between the 2 camera, hope can get some advise from bro/sis here on the pro and con of these two camera..

Regards

Well, a canon 550d is basically lighter and support full HD video recording, whereas a D90 is heavier and its only HD ready in im not wrong.
Im using a D90, i like the weight compare to 550d.. it comes in handy in times. :)

hi,

i am new to DSLR and looking to choose between the 2 camera, hope can get some advise from bro/sis here on the pro and con of these two camera..

Regards

i haf no idea why u wanna post multiple threads in canon sub forum as well juz to know the ans.

on the written paper, 550d is definitely better in terms of specs, except the fps area. in terms of size, seems like 550d is smaller and lighter. why dun u go to any shop to get a feel of these cameras?

i haf no idea why u wanna post multiple threads in canon sub forum as well juz to know the ans.

on the written paper, 550d is definitely better in terms of specs, except the fps area. in terms of size, seems like 550d is smaller and lighter. why dun u go to any shop to get a feel of these cameras?

TS is just a new member, and at this moment he should be in a deep confusion, doubtful, and blurriness :bsmilie:

Hi TS

Choose EOS 550D if:
1) already owned Canon lenses and accessories
2) prefer newer body
3) prefer better movie recording: full HD movie
4) prefer smaller and lighter camera body

Choose Nikon D90 if:
1) already owned Nikon lenses and accessories
2) prefer better ISO (low light) performance
3) prefer better viewfinder: larger and pentraprism
4) prefer to shoot faster: 4.5 fps

So decision is in your own hand ;)

Hi TS

Choose EOS 550D if:
1) already owned Canon lenses and accessories
2) prefer newer body
3) prefer better movie recording: full HD movie
4) prefer smaller and lighter camera body

Choose Nikon D90 if:
1) already owned Nikon lenses and accessories
2) prefer better ISO (low light) performance
3) prefer better viewfinder: larger and pentraprism
4) prefer to shoot faster: 4.5 fps

So decision is in your own hand ;)

:thumbsup:
i kinda forgotten bout the pre-owning of canon/nikon lenses. it wuld be bad if he alr owned nikon lenses n go for 550d or vice versa.

thx you all bro/sis... i am new to DSLR and looking to get 1, i do not pre-owned any of the lense... sry for the repeated post as i do not knw where i shld put it..

was in the same situation as TS previously, choosing between a 550D and a D90. went with D90 eventually, no regrets so far. in fact was kinda glad that i didnt get the 550D. :bsmilie:

Same here....got the D90 over 550D and no regrets so far.. :)

thx you all bro/sis... i am new to DSLR and looking to get 1, i do not pre-owned any of the lense... sry for the repeated post as i do not knw where i shld put it..

Only you could able to answer your own question.

Actually Singapore Megatex 2010 just ended this evening. You just miss a very good opportunity to try the camera and experience it by yourself...

Get D90. Since you posted under Nikon sub-forum, I would conclude you are inclined to buy D90 over 550D. My suggestion, get what brand your friend has so you can use their lens. :)

you r asking in the nikon forum does that pretty much sums up everything??

Get D90. Since you posted under Nikon sub-forum, I would conclude you are inclined to buy D90 over 550D. My suggestion, get what brand your friend has so you can use their lens. :)

Although this is Nikon forum, TS is still free to choose whatever brand he wants to.

Agree with kitlens, just go with the brand of your friend's, and it would be easier if you could learn and share with your friend, not being a "single fighter".

Canon 550D, D90, ...
Other alternative: Sony SLT-A33

Note that Sony Alpha DSLR has their own forum, and theirs are quite active.
For your consideration.

Last edited:
In terms of iq, I think the differences will not matter to the TS being a beginner and all. In the end it is about usability and other factors like his personal preferences and what his friends and family are using.

Really recommend you go to a store and get a hands on on both cameras and take it from there.

hi,

Regards

Go for D90, it cheaper...good

Only you could able to answer your own question.

Actually Singapore Megatex 2010 just ended this evening. You just miss a very good opportunity to try the camera and experience it by yourself...

i had went down to the megatex n feel the cameras, gt a better feel w D90 n Canon 60D, the feeling for 550D wasnt tt great after the few shot at the show...

Hi, I am new to the DSLR too. But i just purchase a D90 last nite. Gonna try it out soon.

i had went down to the megatex n feel the cameras, gt a better feel w D90 n Canon 60D, the feeling for 550D wasnt tt great after the few shot at the show...

Very Good !
Now 550D has been out of the race.

Case closed ;)