Nikon D90, or Canon EOS-60D

Very important feature..... yeah right! Well, firstly as others have pointed out, you've misunderstood it's use, but you're forgiven for that. And if you're going to do a feature-by-feature comparison, you have a LONG process ahead of you. Whatever brand you choose will have some advantages (and disadvantages) compared to its competition. And manufacturers try to convince you with fancy trademark acronyms (e.g. USM, SSM, HSM etc - these are all essentially the same)

Based on your criteria (pic quality, lens price, reputation, body made in where), there is no real difference. Each brand has dominated the pro market at different times for different reasons, and each has a great reputation. Rashkae put together a great thread on choosing your DSLR -- read that first (it's a sticky at the top of the Newbie section).

I'd recommend you visiting their respective showrooms and playing around with the cameras you have shortlisted. Ergonomics are very different, and different users have different preferences. By ergonomics I don't just mean the feel of the grip and body, but also whether the controls and user interface 'make sense' to you -- very subjective.

Hi Edwin,
At least you are kind and fair enough. Thank you for your kind understanding and your forgiveness.
However, if Canon really can only AF at centre point. I find that it is a very important feature to me and I will choose D90 over 60D even though 60D got others better quality.

cannot say until like that la... I mean, to most people it is not a deal breaker.
And DOF is to do with focusing, which is not the same as metering.

Hi ZerocoolAstra,

No lah, I mis-interpret daredevil123 words mah.
If it is true that Canon can only focus at centre point, then I find it is very important feature to me and I will choose D90 over 60D.
If Canon can only focus at centre point, which will you vote for?

And don't forget, Canon's spot metering (for bodies other than 1D series) is different from Nikon's.

Canon bodies (with exception of 1D series), spot metering means center spot only. For Nikon (all bodies, even D40), spot metering is measured at the AF point selected.

hi daredevil, do you have any sites to recommend for readings on this? have never heard about this before.

thanks!

If Canon only comes with 1 single focus point at the center, and if the center AF point is cross-type + sensitive to f/1.4 and above + very decent in AF tracking + ability to make it a spot AF for AF precision... I'll take it anytime over x-number of less-sensitive AF points.

Do think about this: do you need more AF points if the only AF point is very very decent? Quality matters, not quantity.

CPhotography, "spot metering linked to active AF point" is already there since 1D (1st gen) and Canon has made this feature exclusive to 1-series body only, tucked deeply within the abundant custom functions. Not sure if there is anything to read about. It is just a feature.. afterall.

I was thinking if spot metering is so important, probably one may want to try manual (which imo is easier at certain conditions).....

Hi daredevil123,

Thank you for clearing my mis-interpretion.

No problem... spot metering at AF points is still very useful, especially when I am doing landscape photography. Once I set a composition, I will use AF points to meter different parts of the scene to determine what the differences in exposure the different parts are. Using that info, I make decisions on different things, like, estimating what GND filter to use, what exposure to set, etc... without any need to recompose the scene. This is good because when shooting sunsets and sunrises, the light is changing very quickly, and sometimes, I only want that one composition, so once I lock it down, I do not want to recompose again.

If it is true that Canon can only focus at centre point, then I find it is very important feature to me and I will choose D90 over 60D.
You still don't get it. Every camera can focus withy every AF point it has. Otherwise: what's the point of having them in the first place. What matters is the nature of the focus points (cross-type or single orientation) and the dependency on the lens (maximum aperture). But finally, what matters most is the person behind the viewfinder who understands the camera and operates it. You should worry about this point most ...

there is always plus minus..
u cant say which 1 is better....

TS, if by now cannot decide which is better, just get one that you feel more comfortable with (as mentioned by some members). Be it the ergonomics, menu, turning of the lens (e.g. Nikon is Right and Canon is Left *correct me if i'm wrong*)

You can't go wrong with either camera, both are excellent systems and both have pros and cons. And you will have other things to worry about than to the metering at focus point. imo, Composition and Ways to get around limitations should be more of your concern.

At the end of the day, it's your money. You will want to put your money in something YOU like and not decided by others who say X is better than Y when you feel X is better.

Just get one and go shooting! Happy Shooting in advance!

D90. Buy 2nd hand and you will depreciate less. Use the spare cash for other lens.

hi daredevil, do you have any sites to recommend for readings on this? have never heard about this before.

thanks!

You can just download Canon's user manuals for 5dm2. 7d, 60d, 600d, 550d and look for spot metering. Then you can download the manual for any of the 1D series and look for spot metering. Observe the difference. ;)

Then you can download the manual for any Nikon DSLR model and see what the spot metering does.

I think it's important to also test out the ergonomics of the two cameras to see which one is more suited for you. You should look out for things like

-how well the cameras fit in your hands
-do the buttons and dials positions make sense TO YOU (do you find it very easy and intuitive to change the settings you need to change)
-do you prefer top+back dials, or front and back dials
-do you need that swivel screen, and if you do, does it work well for what you intend to use it for
-does the menu system make sense to you/which menu system do you prefer
-which shutter button and sound do you prefer
-playback menus - switch around photos in playback, zoom in and out of pictures, switch photos while zoomed in, etc

Hi ZerocoolAstra,

No lah, I mis-interpret daredevil123 words mah.

You still misunderstanding :)
Canon DSLRs, like pretty much every DSLR out in the market, have selectable AF (auto-focus) points. You can move the selection with your selector switch.
The difference is that when you use spot metering, the camera is still metering the spot exactly in the center of the frame, regardless of which AF point you have selected.
When you use a Nikon DSLR and select spot metering, the metered spot is following your AF point selection.

hope that helps, and I haven't confused you further.
My guess is, if you don't notice the difference, it matters absolutely not to you :)

Last edited:
hope that helps, and I haven't confused you further.
My guess is, if you don't notice the difference, it matters absolutely not to you :)

:bsmilie: Agree with u... that means he "not there yet"

Hi peeps and pros, need your advice.

canon eos-60d (18-55) $1479
or
nikon d90 (18-105) $1455

which would u prefer and why? (pic quality, lens price, reputation, body made in where etc.etc.)

just reading up ur valuable contributions to help me decide which to get. :D

IMHO, always try to get a newer camera. Think about the lens, you don't get enough range from 18-55.

IMHO, always try to get a newer camera. Think about the lens, you don't get enough range from 18-55.

According this logic nobody should be able to get decent images with older cameras. Wonder why people still use film then, technology is more than 15 years old.
Range is a 'nice to have', especially for newbies. They should not get confused with 'getting maximum zoom range for the buck'. DSLR is using the right lens when needed, not getting '20x optical zoom' in one lens as with prosumer cameras.

According this logic nobody should be able to get decent images with older cameras. Wonder why people still use film then, technology is more than 15 years old.
Range is a 'nice to have', especially for newbies. They should not get confused with 'getting maximum zoom range for the buck'. DSLR is using the right lens when needed, not getting '20x optical zoom' in one lens as with prosumer cameras.

According this logic nobody should be able to get decent images with older cameras. Wonder why people still use film then, camera technology is more than 15 years old.
But then again, the person behind the viewfinder makes a bigger difference then 5 years of camera technology.

wa this is really interesting thanks for all the contribution. im sure all cameras are good, none is better than the other. yup,. anw I grabbed a 60D body at IT fair already! going for 18-200 lens either parasilk or elsewhere or forums. it was really a good buy, and I think I'll like it alot. ( not to mention the crumpler bag that comes with it =D). gettin rid of the dry cabi, any takers? silica will do for me for now, at least till I have more lens :)

wa this is really interesting thanks for all the contribution. im sure all cameras are good, none is better than the other. yup,. anw I grabbed a 60D body at IT fair already! going for 18-200 lens either parasilk or elsewhere or forums. it was really a good buy, and I think I'll like it alot. ( not to mention the crumpler bag that comes with it =D). gettin rid of the dry cabi, any takers? silica will do for me for now, at least till I have more lens :)

I will use the dry cab if I were you. Cheaper and easier to operate.

And congrats on the purchase. Shoot more and share more.