Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlas-nikon

Dec 13, 2008
Please help me decide between the two...

Could you share your experiences, good or bad, owning these cameras...

Hi atlas-nikon

Not easy to compare them in the same breath. Do you have any prior experience with digital cameras / SLRs ?

Why not start off with visiting the stores and try the both of them? This should speak volumes after reading up on their specifications.

But if you ask, personally i will prefer the D90. Apart from other functionalities, the second LCD screen is pretty useful.

Ryan

Please help me decide between the two...

Could you share your experiences, good or bad, owning these cameras...
depends...if you want something simpler to use then the 450D while the D90 is for the "extras". get a DSLR only if really need one as you are not just buying a camera but a whole system as well.

Was deciding between these 2 as well, in the end went for the D90. You can go down to Canon at Vivo City to have a feel at the 450D, and Nikon Service Centre for the D90. Or simply go to shops that stock 450D and D90, so that you can have a feel at both the cameras. After trying out both, the D90 felt the most at ease and comfortable position for me. Most important is to choose a camera that you are comfortable when shooting. :D

This is my personal opinion as a D80 user. You can consider it a slightly biased opinion if you will...

I was deciding between the D80 and the Canon 400D at the time of my purchase.
To me, the decision was a no-brainer.
I picked up the D80, held it in my hands, and I was instantly sold.
If you intend to shoot many thousands of photos with this 'beast', ergonomics is VERY important.
How quickly you can access the things you want to, and change settings, plays an important part.

Things I like about the D80 (same body size as D90):
1) feel of the grip (including materials, shape, etc)
2) positioning of the power switch, command dials, buttons for ISO, WB, playback, zoom, etc
3) top LCD for status view when changing settings
4) menu system (seemed easy to understand for me)

I think specs-wise, nothing to choose between them for an amateur like me. Both satisfy my requirements.

If you think of these two, get the D90, or get Canon 40D.

Seems pretty unanimous... thanks for all the replies:)

It really depends on yourself since you are the one using the camera. Personally I'll look beyond these 2 brands and go with either Sony, Pentax or Olympus.

But neither can use Zeiss AF lenses though. A a700 with live view would be a winner , sadly no such thing exists yet.

It really depends on yourself since you are the one using the camera. Personally I'll look beyond these 2 brands and go with either Sony, Pentax or Olympus.

Care to state your reasons why?
Are the C and N brands so detestable? Or do they really produce such terrible cameras?
TS asked for opinions between D90 and 450D. Whatever his reasons, he's choosing between those 2. So we're just sharing experiences...

go try it out see which one u like, these two were my shortlisted cameras previously and after trying out several times, i decided to go for D90 due to it's solid build and since it's a newer model

If I am a first time DSLR buyer, I will pick the D90 between the two choices you listed. The primary reason is the highly desirable and versatile Nikkor 16-85 lens.

But as others have already pointed out, you may want to look at other brands too. Sony A300 + Zeiss 16-80 looks even more appealing to me. :bsmilie: IMHO, Sony has the BEST ergonomics and live view implementation, plus an articulate LCD. Mind you, I am NOT even a Sony owner, so I am being rather neutral here. :bsmilie:

hi guys, i wld lyk to buy entry level cam lyk this 2 model mention above(if im not wrong, no offence) . may i ask how much wld it be for a first and second hand canon 450D and a nikon D90 respectively? thanks for your help.

first of all, welcome to Clubsnap. I see that this is your first post.
Both Canon and Nikon sub-forums have a thread with updated prices, so you should be able to find new prices for both 450D and D90 there.
As for 2nd hand prices, search through the Personal Classified lists for those selling those cameras.
Don't expect to be spoon-fed with this information hor...

Care to state your reasons why?
Are the C and N brands so detestable? Or do they really produce such terrible cameras?
TS asked for opinions between D90 and 450D. Whatever his reasons, he's choosing between those 2. So we're just sharing experiences...

Nope, in fact I find Canon & Nikon both produces very decent cameras. Just that I wouldn't write off the other smaller players without giving them a try. I have tried Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Sigma and Olympus so far and looking at trying the Pentax soon. I must say that all the brands produces very good quality cams and not as many people perceived that the smaller players are not up to par with the bigger players. Anyway, since I don't shoot using very high ISO, noise is not an issue to me and I don't really need a fast fps cam, so it doesn't really matter which cam I use. I'm more concern about the ergonomics, build and user friendliness of the cam., so I've used the word personally in my post in case you've missed that.

Most people will just compare 2 popular models in their questions but when more options are opened up to them they would consider others too, so no harm giving more options unless TS specifically said that he only want a cam between the 2 models he mentioned, right? You wouldn't know, maybe in the end TS might chose something else instead of D90 or 450D.

first hand prices but not in SG.

D90 with AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens $1,776

450D with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens $990

Closest Canon to Nikon D90 price is Canon 40D with EF-S 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6I Lens $1678

One more thing to consider, that somehow i find people always miss out..
CONSIDER IF THERES A POSSIBILITY YOU WILL BE A STROBIST!!

Me, i'm a Pentax user. The quality, value, and lens choices are great. You could even mount AF Zeiss lenses if you are adventurous enough to do a minor self modification on your camera's mount :devil:

But the drawback that i think i have never seen people mention, are the limited flash options. I started out shooting film and still do, so lighting was once only an issue that i left to natural / bulb lighting. It hadn't occured to me that i might be a future strobist (not a full fledged one yet but very interested in it). It seems, my flash options are very limited, and flash accessories are limited as well. Might not be much of a problem if you are not on a budget, (some flashes cost half the dslr) but then again, it's so few of us that can splurge on equipment.

Things like the Ringflash, whaletail (or toiletbowl), lightsphere, are all tailored to fit either your Canon or Nikon counterparts.
I get jealous whenever my photog buddies suddenly cry "CLS!! CLS!!" (creative lighting system) when they wanna try new stuff with different poses. This is available on the Nikon flashes.

It comes down to your needs. Canon and Nikon IMO, are more more hobbyists who have a tendency of becoming very serious in their hobbies, and want a larger range of equipment to choose from, as well as expansion options to professional level equipment. If you decide, however, that you aren't going to spend too much on your equipment, and simple or semi advanced shooting will do it for you, consider the other brands :bsmilie:

I love Pentax and the only huge issue i can think of right now that is bugging me would be this.

Oh - and expect criticism from many shop owners when you ask for Pentax products. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi,

As personal experience I like Canon 450D.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.