Nikon D90 or Canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrkcw

Jan 5, 2008
hi al....currently im really tired to compare camera...haha..just want to knw which camera to get.....nikon D90 or canon 40D....

yesterday i go down to the shop and feel this two camera.this is my conclusion after view;

1) i like the ergonomic than nikon D90...and it is bigger,tougher,look more pro..hahaha..

2)But i dun knw the noise ctrl, IQ, colour, AF system, which one is better?i more pefer to compare the noise ctrl...since nikon got ISO 6400

3)i like nikon got live view which got 3 AF mode....canon cannot auot focus!!!

4)canon got 1/8000, nikon only 1/4000...dun knw important between the diff???

5)The built quality-Canon seem like more quality between this 2 camera....like the card slot, button, etc.....

I normally shoot landscape and potrait...
hope anyone who knw this two camera can giv me a comprehensive advise which one to get....As im cant stand to wait anymore..wanna get the camera already..hahaa...
thank you

looks like you still need lots of spoon feeding...
you went down to test the cams, only get to feel the main body only...why didn't you bring your SD card along to get some sample pics ?
the noise performance issue can always check at http://www.dcresource.com/
you can always do a search first to compare...

Last edited:
d90 vs 40d iso shoot out.

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=6297

in chinese though.

hi...thx...after read the website...the iso compare between this two camera is similar huh!!!
really dun knw which to choose liao....actually i hav made my decission to nikon D90 is because got video (sometime can use when needed), can auto focus in live view (canon 40D is really not good in live view agter test in the shop), 3 inch with 920k dot is really nice tham 40D, and the nikon got LCD screen cover, but 40D do not have....

but huh..i prefer canon 40D built.....the canon 40D body look more stylish and more well made than nikon D90....

anybody can help me.....thx...

hi...thx...after read the website...the iso compare between this two camera is similar huh!!!
really dun knw which to choose liao....actually i hav made my decission to nikon D90 is because got video (sometime can use when needed), can auto focus in live view (canon 40D is really not good in live view agter test in the shop), 3 inch with 920k dot is really nice tham 40D, and the nikon got LCD screen cover, but 40D do not have....

but huh..i prefer canon 40D built.....the canon 40D body look more stylish and more well made than nikon D90....

anybody can help me.....thx...

Just listen to your heart. If you are leaning towards the 40D then go for it. Afterall you are the one using it and nobody would be able to tell you which suits you best.

Given the current advanced technology, all cameras are more or less able to produce good exposure pictures.

compare d90 to 50D larh not 40D :D

share my view.. though I had not yet gotten the camera.. saving for 1
i guess in term of IQ. alot of people here wil say its the person behind the cam. so e cams u getting now are e same.
In term of build, ya 40D is better but are you tt rough like getting to the ground to take shots? else a normal cam body ll do..
the rest, more like the functionalities that you need. D90 offers extra and better higher-ISO in those sample img taken in the review sites.
correct me if i'm wrong.

other than that, I suppose 40D offer faster frame rates which tts the unique point.
I'm saving for D90, haha get more people to share same view with me. But I'm now heading to anywhere everywhere to find it to test it..

Like the chinese site posted earlier, 40D now should cost cheaper, and IMO, canon lens seems cheaper but i had people posting here saying Nikon lens are good and better.. who knows.

NIKON !! my heart is inclined to N gang just wait to get my hand to touch the 90 body..

sharing my thoughts

if u take a look at the high iso shots btw the 2 cameras, the 40D pic was noisier but it retain better details than the D90 which smudged all the details with the NR. it looked like a watercolor painting. of cos if u are into those kind of pics, then go ahead and get the D90. :)

Last edited:
Hi there,

i think everyone left out one important component.... If i am not wrong you are currently using Nikon D60. As such, if you have existing lenses and accessories belonging to the nikon camp, i would suggest D90.

Changing system altogether would inccur very high transactional cost..... esp when selling your existing nikon gear....

Another reason to go for nikon D90... newer tech with most of other variables homogenous.

Btw,i own a canon 40D.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi there,

i think everyone left out one important component.... If i am not wrong you are currently using Nikon D60. As such, if you have existing lenses and accessories belonging to the nikon camp, i would suggest D90.

Changing system altogether would inccur very high transactional cost..... esp when selling your existing nikon gear....

Another reason to go for nikon D90... newer tech with most of other variables homogenous.

Btw,i own a canon 40D.

Just my thoughts.

yayaya...i used nikon D60 b4...but i hav sell all my gear and accessories already..hahaha...so im seriously to think which system is suit for me...im confuse now,....
hows the canon 40D...in term of noise ctrl, the lcd resolutuion,the live view in 40D is not really nice hor???it take time to use live view,nikon can auto focus....
in term of lens selection between nikon amd canon....i dun knw which brand provide more lens for use...i like to shoot landscape and potrait...hahaha...

btw..whts the meaning of IMO???thx....
im so confused...thx

yayaya...i used nikon D60 b4...but i hav sell all my gear and accessories already..hahaha...so im seriously to think which system is suit for me...im confuse now,....
hows the canon 40D...in term of noise ctrl, the lcd resolutuion,the live view in 40D is not really nice hor???it take time to use live view,nikon can auto focus....
in term of lens selection between nikon amd canon....i dun knw which brand provide more lens for use...i like to shoot landscape and potrait...hahaha...

btw..whts the meaning of IMO???thx....
im so confused...thx

I don't get it. You mean canon cannot auto focus?
It shouldn't matter which brand provides more lens, you should ask yourself which one produces the lens you need to use.

The way i read it, you have already decided on the 40D, and somehow just needs justification from us.

IMO- in my opinion.

Canon!!! cause i feel that the 40D has better detail rendition, esp high ISO...

Canon!!! cause i feel that the 40D has better detail rendition, esp high ISO...

canon has better detail at high iso but at the expense of having more noise, sounds like a familiar reason to panny's noise performance argument.

the main reason for a nikon user to switch to canon is the urge for better noise performance but funny thing is canon is well-know for better noise performance yet in this case it isn't so.

actually i hav decide to get nikon D90...but i really love the ergonomic on canon 40D than D90.....and the canon give me more pro and well made feeling than D90...hahaha...but nikon provide more useful in live view and got video also,although it may seldom use...
i just wonder...why canon no such thing like D-lighting, scene recognition system??
or canon use other wording for those thing???
sorry i got so many question...because this time i wanna think twice twice to select the camera...

Wah, next time when Sony comes out with more killer cameras, and Pentax comes out with more killer cams, I'll see your thread again.

Why don't you just get one system that you think suits you, and stick to it?

In case you didn't know, or are just waiting to be spoonfed, the 40D is not comparable to the D90; it is one level up from the D90, and one level below the D300. Confused? Good.

Get the camera that you need. It's that simple. It seems the D90 would suit you more, having the convenient features like D-lighting and scene recognition system.

Oh, and I'm quite amazed how in your first post, you said you found the feel of the D90 much more robust, but now you turn it ENTIRELY around and say the 40D feels better. Really really amusing.

Oh, and I'm quite amazed how in your first post, you said you found the feel of the D90 much more robust, but now you turn it ENTIRELY around and say the 40D feels better. Really really amusing.

yea! Noticed that too :bsmilie:

look, if you can't decide, then why not buy both? ;p

looking at the speed at which you buy equipment then sell it off in a matter of weeks, you must be pretty rich :bigeyes:

cos i bet that if you just stuck to one system, you'll already have enough money to buy a D700 or a 5D !

Last edited:
i think i wrote wrongly...the first one i post is i prefer the ergonomic of 40D than nikon D90.....i miss one word there...sorry...
sorry for asking so many question lah...dun angry...hahaha....
im just really confused mah....
so ask all of ur opinion to get a system tht suit me and i prefer one.....
thx

How will anyone else but yourself know which system will suit you?

It's like asking some almost-strangers about which girl you should take as a wife.;)

How will anyone else but yourself know which system will suit you?

It's like asking some almost-strangers about which girl you should take as a wife.;)

hee.... take the Nikon because the SB900 Flash is awesome, just like someone tells you to take a particular girl for a girlfriend because she has lovely lights...... Nikon Flash lights are second to none.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.