nikon D90 or canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless DGX

Sep 4, 2008
hi, looking to buy a DSLR, have a bugget of $1700, currently have this 2 in mind, kinda confuse which 1 shall i get, <<<canon 40D with 17-85 IS USM second hand>>> or <<<new nikon D90 kit>>> pls advice.

I had that dilemma once. But in my humble opinion, the differences btw these two cams shouldn't matter much to someone new to DSLRs. Just go down to the shops and try both cams out. That's where you'll find your answer. ;)

i choose my 40D cos most frens i go shoot with uses canon . so i get a canon . can borrow their lens to try first b4 deciding whethe to buy . hee hee . ;p

ok guy, will take note your advice.

I agree with Nikchia :thumbsup:
Go down to d shop.... try both camera with similar lens spec, same setting... and see which image result you prefer most :D:D

hi, looking to buy a DSLR, have a bugget of $1700, currently have this 2 in mind, kinda confuse which 1 shall i get, <<<canon 40D with 17-85 IS USM second hand>>> or <<<new nikon D90 kit>>> pls advice.

Look into the cost of ownership.. The price of lenses, flashes and the extra stuff as you might be committing into a system. Once you start buying all the lenses, you'd notice each brand has slightly different cost and accessibility. Changing brand at that point is difficult..

What I did was look at the lens range I use, compare price/quality ratio of both and which was more affordable in the long term.. I went the dark side simply on lens choice and the rugged design of nikons vs the smooth canon.. oh and the black lenses of nikon's "dark side"

i totally agree with viix. if you're going for long term, factor out the price/easiness (and other factors, of cos) of the lenses and flashes (and other items...)
see which fits your budget. $100 cost alot of difference!
but of cos, you must 'feel' each camera first. see which you find it 'nicer to hold'.

lastly, the camera functions. they are more or less the same. but are they of easy accessibility compared to the other one?

Hi there,

I can assure you that you won't regret getting a Nikon. Its a value buy,cos canon really do quite alot of advertising which in other words they have to mark up their cost to compansate for their advertisments.
But all in all,the choice is yours,go down and test the camera and see which suits you best :D

:cheers:

i chose Nikon over Canon for a few reasons, so you might wanna look into these areas when choosing =D

1. the 'feel' when i hold it in my hand (ergonomics)
2. the menus, i don't really like the layout/ the way Canon design their menus and stuffs (interface)

that's pretty much it =D

I will get the D90 if it's a decision based on the lens...I think the 18-105mm VR from Nikon is really nice to have as it can cover a slightly longer focal range. 40D is a good camera, but is to be replaced by the 50D, so if you can buy brand new why not spend it on a camera that is a newer product, which is the D90, which comes with HD video recording. Even if you don't use it, I think that in terms of ergonomics the Nikon is hard to beat, not to mention it is smaller in size which IMO is perfect for Asian hands. But try both of them out anyways, & I'm sure that no matter what you choose u won't regret your decision in either one at all. :)

suggest go down to shop and try them out....u might prefer the few of one over another!

flick a coin then :bsmilie:

Last edited:
ya, will go down to try D90, but anyone know the price of D90 kit ? is about $1700 ? right ?

i got the same dilemma when i choose my first DSLR.. nikon or canon.. I go to the store and feel it.. and i choose Nikon.. pretty obvious...

Regarding D90 or the older 40D.. of cos get the latest technology one.. i believe the d90 performance much better... and some reviews even praise the D90 have slightly better IQ then D300.:cool:

Hi there,

I can assure you that you won't regret getting a Nikon. Its a value buy,cos canon really do quite alot of advertising which in other words they have to mark up their cost to compansate for their advertisments.
But all in all,the choice is yours,go down and test the camera and see which suits you best :D

:cheers:

This is a rubbish hypothesis. Have you been living in a well all this while, or am I the only one seeing all the Nikon advertisments on buses and on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.