NIKON D850 Announcement

July 25, 2017

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the development of the next-generation full-frame, high-resolution, high-speed digital SLR cameras with the upcoming release of the highly anticipated Nikon D850.
The D850 will be a formidable tool for creators who will not compromise on exceptional image quality and versatility, including aspiring and professional photographers, as well as hobbyists, who shoot landscapes, commercial sports, fashion and weddings, and multimedia content creators.
The D850 is the successor to the D810, which was highly praised by its users for offering extremely sharp and clear rendering, with rich tone characteristics. This powerful new FX-format digital SLR camera is engineered with a range of new technologies, features and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users over the years – who demand the very best from their camera equipment. The D850 will exceed the expectations of the vast range of photographers that seek the high resolution and high-speed capabilities that only a Nikon of this caliber complemented by NIKKOR lenses can offer.

Hercules Rising !
8K Time Lapse :thumbsup:

[video=youtube_share;epaRJ3eqKzk]https://youtu.be/epaRJ3eqKzk[/video]

Nope .....doubt it. :)

1. Price:
    Nikon D810 has seen a price drop and the new D850 will be priced competitively. The expected price of the new Nikon D850 will be priced for US $3,300 to US $ 3,500. Incidentally this was also the price for Nikon D810 at launch which fell after launch.
  2. Still waiting for the actual pricing. :)

I think an EVF/OVF hybrid is doubtful but love to be proven wrong.
But I think there's a chance it's a new port for shoe accessories. Maybe an external EVF which would imply LV AF and features have improved. Maybe a prelude of what's to come for a dedicated mirrorless Nikon.

Okay probably not...rumor mill is now working ot...I read it first from post by S.G. voightlander importer who said a Nikon 'spy'told him.

Let's speculate for a minute...what would it mean to you? Would you buy?

As for me it would be awesome but I am manual focus purist and content with my current digital block. Still learning how to use it.

Last edited:
I have gotten so used to mirrorless cameras(and EVF) so if it has one, I'll consider getting one. Seems like it doesn't have a built-in flash, the space for that could be used for EVF electronics and stuff. Fingers and toes crossed.

Finally, we have been waiting for long long long time.

www.nikon.com/news/2017/0725_dslr_01.htm

:cheergal::cheergal::cheergal::cheergal::cheergal:

I'll be waiting 4-6 months after its actually on the shelves for 3 reasons; 1. ENSURE NO BUGS (Likely with Nikons past history!) 2. Price will stabilize out a little. 3. I don't impulse buy on HYPE.... relax lah bro's.

I'll be waiting 4-6 months after its actually on the shelves for 3 reasons; 1. ENSURE NO BUGS (Likely with Nikons past history!) 2. Price will stabilize out a little. 3. I don't impulse buy on HYPE.... relax lah bro's.

That's what they all say but turn out to be the first to get as soon as it hits the stores .....:bsmilie:

Nikon hasn't learned anything I am afraid. Same old song and dance. Marketing instead of engineering is my guess. Still in the MP race. Real bummer if you ask me. A 3500 US dollar consumer camera. If you have a 750 or 810 you ought to trade up because the 850 will make you a better photographer...:rolleyes:

The hybrid finder had me thinking their new corporate strategy had turned a corner...well it did...now they are traveling backwards. Maybe they are just fossilized.

Last edited:

Nickname: Baby D5

Rumored Specs till now:
  1. 46MP full frame CMOS sensor
  2. New and improved version of SnapBridge
  3. Tiltable LCD screen
  4. Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  5. 153 AF Points system from Nikon D5
  6. No built-in flash & GPS
  7. Back illuminated buttons
  8. Joystick selector
  9. Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
  10. 8K time-lapse video capabilities
  11. Touchscreen
  12. 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
  13. 10 fps (without battery pack)
  14. Optical Viewfinder

10fps with 46 Megapixels resolution is killer feature from this camera !

Last edited:
Nikon hasn't learned anything I am afraid. Same old song and dance. Marketing instead of engineering is my guess. Still in the MP race. Real bummer if you ask me. A 3500 US dollar consumer camera. If you have a 750 or 810 you ought to trade up because the 850 will make you a better photographer...:rolleyes:
I'm curious why you think it'll be a consumer camera?
From Nikon regarding the D850:
"The D850 will be a formidable tool for creators who will not compromise on exceptional image quality and versatility, including both aspiring and professional photographers as well as hobbyists who capture landscapes, weddings, sports, fashion, commercial imagery and multimedia content creators."
Sounds every bit like they were aiming for the enthusiast and pro markets.
And as you know, no camera actually makes you a better photographer. But we all like to have better tools, no?

Because it is a high end consumer camera. Prosumer if you will. Marketing bro! Sure pros will use it...just like they'll use D500, D700, etc but come on man. Pro = D5. Yeah I know about the NPS list...again marketing voodoo.

I'll make a prediction...if the 850 does not have a hybrid finder then it is just more incremental marketing voodoo made in Thailand (pay difference between Thai worker and Jap worker anyone?) The 810 not enough camera at 1700 bucks (how old and 3500 when new? Ratio please?) so one goes and spends 3800? (newest estimated cost-you bros in SG even more probably) Plus I think they are to late to the party for the no mirror game. Canon and everyone else are already on board that ship and it departed yesterday maybe even last week. No mirror is a non starter I am afraid. So Nikon goes belly up in the next few years...they have already been bleeding out for awhile now.

F mount is greatest weakness because EOS was a nimble adjustment...better AF...look around at the vast majority of pros bro...you see red rings instead of gold ones. They are toast and if and when the fossil sinks no one will be left to warranty or maybe even work on that $3800 rig.

I am a Nikon guy...love my Nikons and Nikkors...wouldnt have anything else. But if the 850 is more of the same and it starts having issues like all of the recent bodies then well...read the story of Kodak and it will clue you in as to what I am saying. My opinion maybe wrong we will see!

At work I have high dollar top of the line tools...but many times a pair of pliers and a screwdriver are just a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. Cameras are very much the same. Again it is hype they want one to buy into...marketing voodoo! If one doesnt know what to do with pliers and a screwdriver buying high dollar set is not going to help at all. And even if ones does the high dollars one are just going to feel better and look cooler. :)

Last edited:
The word 'pro' as well as all the camera tiers are more the marketing voodoo than anything else. And in all honesty, I disagree that only D# series (or 1 series for Canons) can be considered 'pro' cameras. By that token, how many pro camera models from all manufacturers actually exists and who decided which gets to be pro?
What I do believe is the purpose for which something was designed for. And I don't believe the D850 nor the price point suggests it is for the average consumer, far from it.

All I'll say is if it comes in at the rumoured specs, I think it'll be a nice update for Nikon DSLR users. That's not to say everyone needs to update from a D750 or D810 nor it'll satisfy the mirrorless crowd (which is a separate issue altogether btw). DSLRs are mature products and ppl can make up their own minds about what and when they want/need to update.

But FWIW, I don't really feel any manufacturer's really advancing photography in any giant leaps. Collectively it's been small increments the whole way with brief nice strides.

More details from Nikon Rumors:

45-46MP full frame CMOS sensor
Improved low and high ISO
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Tiltable LCD touchscreen just like the D750 and D500
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
AF system from the D5
No built-in flash (from the teaser picture)
Back illuminated buttons (from leaked pictures)
Joystick selector (from leaked pictures)
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (from leaked pictures)
8K time-lapse video capabilities (from promo video)
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
Fast fps (8fps or more)
New: the D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
New: slo-mo Full HD 120fps video
New: the SD slot will support UHS-II
New: improved Live View split-screen display
New: improved silent shooting mode
New: improved battery life
New: lighter than the D810

would love to have something what Sony or other mirrorless cameras have - on the fly images - reduce editing time