Nikon D80 or Olympus E420

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack4641

Mar 15, 2009
Hi all,

Would like to know which is a better DSLR to get for a newbie??
What are the differences, any idea??
I am thinking of taking pics of structures and people..
Thanks!

Not sure about Olympus E420, but being a Nikon User (D90), I can comment on the Nikon.

First of all, the D90 and the D80 is closely related, with nearly similar specifications. ISO control in the Nikon is good, meaning you can take clearer pictures at low light situations and at night without noise. With Nikon, you can also gain access to a wide range of lenses, starting kit lens for the D80 is 18-135mm without VR.

Taking structures and people, you will usually use different lenses. Maybe for structures, the kit lens is good enough. For people, you can get an additional 50mm f/1.8D which is around $180-200 new. Or better still get Nikon's latest AFS 35mm. So might be good to get a Nikon for expanded lens variety.

Im an Oly user,and I don't think the comparison is "apples and apples". IMHO, E420 is an entry level DSLR which can be compared to then Nikon's entry level D40. Bottomline, D80 is on the higher end compared to E420. Nowadays, the entry level for Nikon is D60, and Oly's E-520.

It will depend on your budget too. But to answer to question and if budget permits, I'll go for D80 ;)

HTH

Last edited:
First of all, the D90 and the D80 is closely related, with nearly similar specifications. ISO control in the Nikon is good, meaning you can take clearer pictures at low light situations and at night without noise.

Doubt so. Body spec may be closely related, but D90 high ISO performance is lots better than D80.

Hi all,

Would like to know which is a better DSLR to get for a newbie??
What are the differences, any idea??
I am thinking of taking pics of structures and people..
Thanks!

u want small, light and compact or u want a meatier feel?

I am wondering why you mention Oly E420 to compare with Nikon D80?
It is unfair comparison. And the answer is if you decide based on IQ, go for D80. If you decide based on light weight and small size, E420 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.