nikon d80 or canon 400d

Status
Not open for further replies.

aborigini

Jun 22, 2004
Hi all...

I have been thinking to buy a dslr. The thing is I am a newbie and would like to explore photography. Thinking to get a dslr. However, I am wondering between this 2 products: nikon d80 or canon 400d.

What I know, canon is cheaper than nikon. But I am not sure whether I go with the price or any other quality.

How about buying second hand? Actually I have been reading sell/ buy column, but I realised that the second hand price is not that good. It is better to buy new sets.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi all...

I have been thinking to buy a dslr. The thing is I am a newbie and would like to explore photography. Thinking to get a dslr. However, I am wondering between this 2 products: nikon d80 or canon 400d.

What I know, canon is cheaper than nikon. But I am not sure whether I go with the price or any other quality.

How about buying second hand? Actually I have been reading sell/ buy column, but I realised that the second hand price is not that good. It is better to buy new sets.

those 2 are pretty new... 2nd price aren't much lower on newer product.
as for choosing, you can take a search around this forum... this 2 camera comparison is pretty common ard here...

Hi all...

go in the shop and get hand both of them...... see which one u like..... if i will say.... d80 have better kits lens then canon....

nikon of course. the d80 is well worth the money. you could get a 2nd hand d70s too. the colours and intuitive interface simply kicks ass. the d80 also comes with a better equiped kit lens than the canon.

I, myself, have been looking around at DSLRs having been using a prosumer camera for about 2 years now. I think these are the 2 main cameras that are making waves in the market right now. Price is one thing.. but what about the "maintenance" costs?? I'm pretty sure a kit lens won't last very long and better lenses need to be purchased in the future?

I've been "masking" myself and simply reading alot of posts from the more experienced photographers, esp in the "Buy / Sell" threads and you can see that it's not just the camera body, but the lenses that need to be considered.

Apart from this, a good friend of mine has told me wonders about the Konica Minolta 5D. From the reviews from the Pros and End Users, it looks like an awesome camera, esp with the image stabilizer function.

Just like "Aborigini", I would like to hear (read) any opinion from you guys :think:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Thank you for the inputs.

Actually pricing is the consideration. I have been browsing this clubsnap often. I think everyone has differing opinions.

Other advice will be highly appreciated :)

I, myself, have been looking around at DSLRs having been using a prosumer camera for about 2 years now. I think these are the 2 main cameras that are making waves in the market right now. Price is one thing.. but what about the "maintenance" costs?? I'm pretty sure a kit lens won't last very long and better lenses need to be purchased in the future?

I've been "masking" myself and simply reading alot of posts from the more experienced photographers, esp in the "Buy / Sell" threads and you can see that it's not just the camera body, but the lenses that need to be considered.

Apart from this, a good friend of mine has told me wonders about the Konica Minolta 5D. From the reviews from the Pros and End Users, it looks like an awesome camera, esp with the image stabilizer function.

Just like "Aborigini", I would like to hear (read) any opinion from you guys :think:

Cheers :thumbsup:

eh Tom, that KM5D user would be me, eh....?
dont wait liao...BBB... :devil:
but in all honesty, dont take my word about the Dynax5D. to each his own.
do your own research on dcresource (my personal fav) or dpreview (IMO, slight bias towards the sponsor) and ask questions from the respective user forums here.
just went down to MS color, helped my boss select a dslr. choosing between the nikon D50 and 400D, end up buying the 400D even though it kinda exceeded his budget.

i guess one way to narrow the choices is on feature set. no two dslrs are similar in terms of feature sets, one maybe lacking in custom curves or custom color temperature or etc...
but then again, the saying goes, what you do not know, you do not need.
boils down to either user preference, or, research research research. after that, its accepting the shortcomings of the cam and make do with what u have.

having said that, i welcome you to the brotherhood of ever losing $$$ to buy new lenses club...a club where a $3000 paycheck is never enough...heh heh....

sorry about the long post. just my ramblings. :rolleyes:

Nikon Users Will Say Nikon, Canon Users Will Say Canon.

For Me... Its CANON ;) .... All The Way Bro...

At The End Of The Day It's All Up To You.... Once U Selected Your First DSLR And Start Buildin Up Your Lens Collection, You'll Tend To Stick Wit Dat Manufacturer...

Cheers

Nikon D80 > Canon 400D ;)

how about canon 30D? I have checked the price and it is similar to nikon D80.

Btw, what kind of material is canpn 400D made of? Metal or plastic?

Thank you

how about canon 30D? I have checked the price and it is similar to nikon D80.

Btw, what kind of material is canpn 400D made of? Metal or plastic?

Thank you
plastic with a metal frame inside.

with similar lens. both will give u equal quality picture.
so it boils down to how you like the handling of them. for that, no one here can tell u. just go and hire one or borrow and use for a weekend. handling it in the shop, will not help u.

if one was significantly better, we would all be using that camera. but the fact that there are as many nikon users as canon users is testament to the fact that each camera has its strength and weaknesses.

These 2 dslrs are not in the same league in the first place. Many refer the 400d for beginners to dslrs while d80 are for enthusiasts. Many differences bet the 2 entail. You can check out this month's Practical Photography mag for this diff :thumbsup:

sorry. there isnt a photograph that a D80 can take, that the 400D cannot replicate. and thats what it boils down to at the end of the day.

for every review that prefers a nikon to a canon, theres always another one that will prefer the canon to the nikon.

also, and something no one mentions here, is that once u get one canon, u are tied to that mount.. its very expensive to swop later on, like a divorce. so have some consideration for where you might want to see yourself going in future.

d80 is better build and when you hold it in hand :thumbsup: 400D is for smaller hand
I will buy a Nikon when compare cos the feeeeeel is very important. if you want a light and small better get a P&S cam.
Abit more that you pay will last you few year of shooting, bet you will regret and thinking of upgrade soon if you are only comparing the price to make the decision.
Canon hv very very good :thumbsup: L lens and very very very expensive when compare to nikon ED which are more worth the money, unless going for 3rd party len.

30D is a great cam but paying abit more for the D200 is much more $ worth. and D80 has 80% of D200 well D200 has 80% of D2XS my dream cam.:bigeyes:

Go to Courts at Tampines try both, they hv DISPLAY alot DSLR that we can hand on:bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Get BOTH... :) You can enjoy Best of Both Worlds...

1 small tip... You might want to note the cam system your close friends have.... Speaking from experience - I am the odd one in my circle of friends who uses Canon, so I can't just borrow lens from anyone even if they have that range... But then again, I have already started way before they started - I had an FM2 before the digital trend... As someone pointed out, it was going to be painful if I was to change so I stuck with Nikon...

Status
Not open for further replies.