Nikon D80 or Canon 30D

Status
Not open for further replies.

cha11enge

Jun 26, 2007
HI,

I would like to get a DSLR camera and was considering to get an average one. Was thinking between Nikon D80 or Canon 30D, can anyone give any advice or opinion on their differences and which one is more prefarable to get. Thanks.

30D, because I use one!!!:bsmilie:

Maybe you should ask yourself some qns.

What do you want to use your camera for? (sports, family, landscape)
What do you expect your camera to have? (Features, functions, accessories)
Have you got experience in using SLRs or DSLRs before?
What is your budget for your camera, as these bodies are semi professional, and relatively more expensive than consumer orientated cameras like 400D/ D40X (They still take great photos).

If you can think about these qns, you will find that making your decision on which camera to buy easier.

Try searching the forums for such threads and draw conclusions from there, as these A vs B threads has been discussed quite often.

get the D80....I've had it for 3mths and its a great camera...very user friendly....u could surf dpreview...they got great camera reviews/comparison

I had the same problem a while ago and read review after review and looked at tons of comparison sites and kept coming to the same conclusion: I had to go and try them both out and go for the one that felt right.

My friend has a 30D and I have the D80, there's things I prefer about his camera over mine and vice versa.

As far as I know, 30D should be cheaper than D80 at the moment (in China and probably HK), if there is still stock.

The only real advantage of D80 is probably the ability to use Nikon 18-200 VR to make a good walk-about setup. But then - you're better off with D40/D40x.

I believe you wouldn't go wrong with either 1. Maybe you should go down to the shops and test it out yourself, see which one you are more comfortable with. Ultimately you are the one using it. ;)

not sure abt 30D.
but 2 frens asked me this question "400D or 80D?"

i told them go2 a shop try out the cams in their hands.. either cam is fine. so get the one they're comfortable with and will be happy getting it.

both frens end up buying the D80.

Just get what u feels comfortable with and learn to understand your camera... thats what i am doing now... :cool:

Thanks for the comments.

I would like to get a semi pro camera and im serious about going into photography. I'm concern over the lens range as well as the price of these accessories. Which brand is more value for money. As i understand 30D and D80 has a huge price difference. But in terms of image quality and ease of maintenance, which is better.

thanks

For Canon : L lens, More pro uses Canon (just my view).
For Nikon : 18-200 VR lens. One word. Amazing.

I started looking at D80, then went over to 30D. But settle on 5D because I didn't want to settle for 30D when there are so much rumour of a successor coming soon.

There is simply no answer to this kinda thread. Just go to the shops and just try the two cameras. Or you can just go the the service wanted thread in the BS forums and see if anyone is renting out these cameras. Rent it, and try the feel of it. At least you will not be dumping all your money into the camera and regret ultimately.
In any case, whether it is a canon 30d or Nikon d80, as long as it can take pictures, it is a good camera.

thanks

The 30D has better high ISO performance (well, most Canons beat their Nikon counterparts, save perhaps the D50) and can shoot faster on continuous, 5fps versus the D80's 3fps, so that makes the 30D better for low-light and for sports. Canon's menu system totally sucks ass though.

I was asking myself the exact same question 2 months back.. I bought D80. ;)

The best way to decide is to go down to the shops and hold it in your hands then decide which 1 is more comfortable for you

I asked myself the same question a few months back... I bought a 350d.... it gives you everything that you will need at a price that won't break the bank....

Status
Not open for further replies.