nikon D80 / canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

samueltan902

Aug 16, 2008
Choa Chu Kang
Im considering over nikon D80 and canon 40D , which is a better camera for macro , wide angle and landscape shoots? Is it better for a camera to have live view for a better macro shoot? Lastly, which is a better camera in the long run in terms of the higher end model of the brand that i decided to go into and also the cost of the lens and external flash?

both are good. so is any other DSLR system.

ability to produce good pic depends if u ve the correct fundamentals.

Im considering over nikon D80 and canon 40D , which is a better camera for macro , wide angle and landscape shoots? Is it better for a camera to have live view for a better macro shoot? Lastly, which is a better camera in the long run in terms of the higher end model of the brand that i decided to go into and also the cost of the lens and external flash?

The 40D is most definately the better camera.... because it's in a different weight class. The 450D would be a fairer competitor to the D80 and would still beat it (IMO).

Samuel

Not being biased here, i would recommend the Canon EOS 40D.

Why?

- The Nikon D80 is meant to compete with the 3 series EOS. Should be comparing the Nikon D300 instead.
- The Nikon D80 is an old and aging model, the successor D90 is about to be launched.How long more i dont know :dunno:

Wah, your question very complex. attap seed is right, both systems are good. I've little experience with the Nikon system except for their very outdated D70, but I'll say that Canon is better in terms of noise control at higher ISO. I'm not too sure about macro but according to Ken Rockwell's writings, I'd say go for Canon if you're doing landscape for better colour and image quality. He's particularly fond of the Canon 5D for that purpose. As for liveview, once again I don't claim to have experience with it, but apparently autofocus with liveview enabled seems pretty troublesome to me.

Yups, just my 2 cents

thanks for all the recommendation . Is there any macro and fisheye lens you could recommend?(third party lens too)And also flash that is good enough for macro shots.

What lens should i get with the 40D as i want to get a better lens for the body instead of the kit lens .
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM-$350
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS-MS $360
or the tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro -$250
please advise .

Last edited:
thanks for all the recommendation . Is there any macro and fisheye lens you could recommend?(third party lens too)And also flash that is good enough for macro shots.

What lens should i get with the 40D as i want to get a better lens for the body instead of the kit lens .
please advise .

The three you are considering aren't macro lenses (at least the top 2). The Tamron is a 1:2 and Macro mode can be activated from 180mm to 300mm.

Try a EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, around $700+. You might like it.

40d is the way to go.... more robust, newer tech, better specs.

having said the above, as per one of the ancient ones in cs (forgot who liaoz) said that buying the body will dictate the system you are getting.... which also mean you are looking at what Nikon has to offer as compared to Canon. Both has their pros and cons. However, just based on the two body you brought up, 40D!:thumbsup:

The three you are considering aren't macro lenses (at least the top 2). The Tamron is a 1:2 and Macro mode can be activated from 180mm to 300mm.

Try a EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, around $700+. You might like it.

I think you got it wrong , I would like a zoom lens to replace the kit lens as i find it too minimal. And also would like to know more macro and fisheye lens to add on.I will consider the macro lens after i got used to the camera . :)

Last edited:
I think you got it wrong , I would like a zoom lens to replace the kit lens as i find it too minimal. And also would like to know more macro and fisheye lens to add on. :)

Hi samueltan902

The two camera are a different class in comparison. and the fact that D80 is a pretty old body already.

Btw the commonly packaged kit lens you referring to is a zoom lens as well. Are you referring to a prime lens?

Macro and fisheye lenses are actually pretty big topics that cannot be easily covered on a thread, u might find more information on google first. Our CS has lots of previous threads as well as guides

Ryan

I think you got it wrong , I would like a zoom lens to replace the kit lens as i find it too minimal. And also would like to know more macro and fisheye lens to add on.I will consider the macro lens after i got used to the camera . :)

the range covered by the kit lens is arguably the most useful and critical range.

for most shooting application, the kit lens is more than adequate and definately more useful than a fisheye/macro.

dun let things like," i need good* equipment to start photography" dictate your shooting.

*all those cheapo stuff are already very good
*all those very expensive stuff are extremely extremely good

...I would like a zoom lens to replace the kit lens as i find it too minimal. ..

And I'm sure you've already used the hell out of the kit lens to know that it's minimal...

Seriously, don't write the kit lens off. It's a really good lens if you know what you are doing. Don't ever ever blame equipment for bad photos. Look at the person in control first.

yea..d80 old alr.. tried my fren's one (no offence nikon peepz!) but ISO noise seems quite bad IMO...

yea..d80 old alr.. tried my fren's one (no offence nikon peepz!) but ISO noise seems quite bad IMO...

we're not retarded fanboys who take offense at that. Yes, the D80's noise control is HORRIBLE. So go with whichever feels better to you. I got the D80 cause the 40d didn't feel like it fit in my hands, and it felt kinda plasticky. go try the 40d (you can walk into a camera shop and try it) and compare it to a D80 on the spot.

we're not retarded fanboys who take offense at that. Yes, the D80's noise control is HORRIBLE. So go with whichever feels better to you. I got the D80 cause the 40d didn't feel like it fit in my hands, and it felt kinda plasticky. go try the 40d (you can walk into a camera shop and try it) and compare it to a D80 on the spot.

You'll be surprised. CS has it's fair share of retarded fanboys. It's a sad fact. :bsmilie:

please advise .

1. Go get the 40D with kit lens. Or D80. Or whatever.

2. Start taking pictures.

3. Look at your pics.

4. Go on trying to take better pics.

5. Then start wondering how another lens will help you take even better pictures.

Hey guys, i'm sorry to 'Hijack' this thread but i've got a question which is really similar to this thread and i don't see the point in starting a new one:D, so here goes.
I'm new to photography and i'm at the part where i'm deciding which camera to buy(like TS). Well, after some research over review sites, talking to users and stuff, i have decided on 3 models. Canon 450D, 40D or Nikon D80 kits. All of which fit within my budget. So, here's the deal, which should i get? It's a pretty tough choice.So, i've read what you guys have said above about the 40D/D80 and apparently all sides seem to point towards the D40,however there i some things i need to clear.
From what i heard from some of the users that i asked they said Nikon cameras are generally more 'durable'. In the sense that it can with stand drops better(bodies, not lenses:D). Also, i've heard that Canon cameras are made in japan while Nikons are made in Thailand,and that canon is more reliable because it is made in Japn, is this true? As you can see, on statement contradicts another, that's why i'm confused.
Also, i've held the bodies of all the 3 cameras and i felt most comfortable holding the 40D as it fits my hand well, the 450D felt abit small and the D80 was kinda putting my fingers at an odd angle, but its still ok since i had my first try at DSLRs on a D80.
Lastly, i find myself drifting towards the D80 side because of the 18-135mm lenses. But, then again, in the end,i'm looking for a IS or VR lens cause i cant hold my hand still yet. Ok, here's my beef, could you guys help me with it?

i ve never dropped a camera.

i ve never seen one drop.

but i know, if dropped, serious problem liao.

-------------------------

its unlikely u will go wrong with nikon or cannon, or any other major camera brands.

------------------------

VR/IS will not help is your hand is shaky.

may i know how old are u, and wat u do in your free time to ve shaky hands? just jokin, no offence.

VR/IS helps when the shutter speed is relatively slow to ensure adequate sharpness when handholding. its not designed to replace tripod (when necessary) and good shooting technique.

fundamentals fundamentals fundamentals

Status
Not open for further replies.