nikon D80 / canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i'm sorry to 'Hijack' this thread but i've got a question which is really similar to this thread and i don't see the point in starting a new one:D, so here goes.
I'm new to photography and i'm at the part where i'm deciding which camera to buy(like TS). Well, after some research over review sites, talking to users and stuff, i have decided on 3 models. Canon 450D, 40D or Nikon D80 kits. All of which fit within my budget. So, here's the deal, which should i get? It's a pretty tough choice.So, i've read what you guys have said above about the 40D/D80 and apparently all sides seem to point towards the D40,however there i some things i need to clear.
From what i heard from some of the users that i asked they said Nikon cameras are generally more 'durable'. In the sense that it can with stand drops better(bodies, not lenses:D). Also, i've heard that Canon cameras are made in japan while Nikons are made in Thailand,and that canon is more reliable because it is made in Japn, is this true? As you can see, on statement contradicts another, that's why i'm confused.
Also, i've held the bodies of all the 3 cameras and i felt most comfortable holding the 40D as it fits my hand well, the 450D felt abit small and the D80 was kinda putting my fingers at an odd angle, but its still ok since i had my first try at DSLRs on a D80.
Lastly, i find myself drifting towards the D80 side because of the 18-135mm lenses. But, then again, in the end,i'm looking for a IS or VR lens cause i cant hold my hand still yet. Ok, here's my beef, could you guys help me with it?

yea i got the same problem as u ,but i did not consider 450D because of the view finder .

Is there a zoom lens alike to nikon D80's kit lens or even a zoom lens with macro at low cost as i do not wan to spend so much on th lens at one go .

Is the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM or EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS sharper and better for macro , landscape and sports ?

Last edited:
i ve never dropped a camera.

i ve never seen one drop.

but i know, if dropped, serious problem liao.

-------------------------

its unlikely u will go wrong with nikon or cannon, or any other major camera brands.

------------------------

VR/IS will not help is your hand is shaky.

may i know how old are u, and wat u do in your free time to ve shaky hands? just jokin, no offence.

VR/IS helps when the shutter speed is relatively slow to ensure adequate sharpness when handholding. its not designed to replace tripod (when necessary) and good shooting technique.

fundamentals fundamentals fundamentals

Hi there attap-seed, thanks for your feedback. Well,i'm 17, haha, young and dumb in the realm of photography:D.LOL, Ok, i've got to say i misunderstood the function on the VR/IS. See, when i was using my digital camera, when i zoom in all the way, the pictures i take come out at 3/10 blur, like really blur, and i thought that it was because i zoomed in and took it with my hand (most probably) shaking a little.
So, could you help me on my decision here? haha, as to what camera i should get and why? And also, know any good links about shooting technique and fundamentals? Thanks lots!!:D

So, could you help me on my decision here? haha, as to what camera i should get and why? And also, know any good links about shooting technique and fundamentals? Thanks lots!!:D

the question you ask, canon or nikon will always get the same answer.

"Up to you, see which you like"

both cameras are good in their own ways be it build, AF speed, metering accuracy, cost, feel.

VR/IS is the same, as with Sony's shake reduction and pentax's too and many other brands out there.

as for shooting techniques and fundamentals.. google is your best friend, or u can read the stickies in this forum.

:)

yea i got the same problem as u ,but i did not consider 450D because of the view finder .

Is there a zoom lens alike to nikon D80's kit lens or even a zoom lens with macro at low cost as i do not wan to spend so much on th lens at one go .

Is the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM or EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS sharper and better for macro , landscape and sports ?

D80's kit lens is 18-135, i wont consider it a macro zoom lens. more of a general walk about lens that has zoom capabilities.

for landscape you would want wider angle, for macro you would want closer focusing distance btwn lens and the object, for sports you would want larger fstop so as to be able to attain higher shutter speed. i dont think theres a lens that.. covers all 3 aspects. even if there is, im sure it isnt very good. like the saying "jack of all trades, master of none."

but if you ask me to choose btwn 75-300 or 55-250, i'd say 55-250 for its IS. not tried it before but i used to own nikon's 55-200 VR and i must say, VR/IS is v useful at such long focal lengths.

Hi there attap-seed, thanks for your feedback. Well,i'm 17, haha, young and dumb in the realm of photography:D.LOL, Ok, i've got to say i misunderstood the function on the VR/IS. See, when i was using my digital camera, when i zoom in all the way, the pictures i take come out at 3/10 blur, like really blur, and i thought that it was because i zoomed in and took it with my hand (most probably) shaking a little.

u using a compact at the moment?

compacts usually ve very exaggerated zooming range.

the image quality at the tele end can be quite bad (really bad in some cases). in addition, the aperture also becomes very small, and shooting at tele range magnifies any shake.

so, the likelihood of blur images can be high. not entirely your fault in this case.

for DSLR, the basic functions (aperture/shutter priority, manual, precise auto focus, exposure compensation, AWB etc) are all you need. and these functions are available in literally all modern DSLRs.

so, the decison lies w u.

if u really cant decide, u are welcome to join me when i shoot. i am using a canon 30D (bought 2nd hand and shared w a fren).

i find ken rockwell's site v informative and entertaining. the articles (and links) there should keep u occupied for a while.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

dun ever tink tat buying expensive equipment will automatically improve your pic. like i say b4, its all about your fundamentals.

the following pic are taken w my $199 compact camera (the tele end is really scary, so i only ever use the wide angle).

celebration_2007.JPG

DSCF0218.JPG

DSCF0211.JPG

anyone tried the lensbaby?can it be used for normal landscape shots too?

Im considering over nikon D80 and canon 40D , which is a better camera for macro , wide angle and landscape shoots? Is it better for a camera to have live view for a better macro shoot? Lastly, which is a better camera in the long run in terms of the higher end model of the brand that i decided to go into and also the cost of the lens and external flash?

Both are equally good. It boils down to lenses that you use for either bodies.

anyone tried the lensbaby?can it be used for normal landscape shots too?

You can use any lens for a landscape shot, but your field of view and the perspective you get will change accordingly, with your focal length.

definitely latest model 40D. But it should be compared to D200 or D300. D80 is compared more fairly with 450D.
the spec for 40D is pretty amazing, u can't go wrong with it and it is categorised as semi-pro range.

definitely latest model 40D. But it should be compared to D200 or D300. D80 is compared more fairly with 450D.
the spec for 40D is pretty amazing, u can't go wrong with it and it is categorised as semi-pro range.

solly ah, budden i tink dat de 40D is not latest moller leh.

Unless of course you're refering to within its range (i.e. 30D, 40D). Anyway in the end, one can go wrong with either camera if one goes equipment centric instead of a balance between skill and the gear.

The 40D will be replaced by the 50D by the end of September. Specs-wise, the 40D was actually the lowest amongst the 3 mid-range DSLRs: 40D, A700, D300.

is the e quote for cathay photo not working? have been about 5 days , but no reply .

thanks all for the comments , i have just bought 40D from john 3:16 , excellent service . :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.