Nikon D750 with 24-70mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedrichard

Sep 10, 2013
Singapore
Hello,
As I am new to photography I would like to ask some question about my D750 with 24-70mm non VR len. I feel like something wrong with the photo I took with 24-70mm. I am not satisfy with every photo i took with 24-70mm len, it always give me normal photo like I took with normal camera, like phone camera. I always shoot with RAW and the colour of raw photo is not good looking. I have 85mm prime len which give really good photo and colour. I would like to ask if something wrong with the len I bought or it just normal as I bought from a friend, second user. Kindly advices if something wrong with the len then I will try to buy other len.

I have put the NEF raw file in my dropbox share as below link.

Landscape NEF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qomii0h8hhjszbq/_7502860.NEF?dl=0

Portrait NEF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1sapqhgzbe3ce3/_7502856.NEF?dl=0

Thanks you so much.

Hi I think you mean "lens" because "len" is not the correct word

I looked at the pictures and I think the main problem is that you are shooting during late evening lighting

If you want to compare then I think you should shoot 2 pictures at the same subject and same time of day

Shoot the 24-70 at 7mm f/4

The 85mm at f/4

then compare side by side if the colors look different

I think it is not a lens problem but maybe the camera is too advanced for the user

Maybe some cropping and post processing might help.

Last edited:
Reactions: reedrichard
Post processing and aligning the second picture would be good. And for landscap try to get a wide angle like a 14mm from samyang? It would definitely look nicer than a 24-70mm. And if you are new to editing, try to shoot in JPG fine instead.

Reedrichard, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your 24-70 lens, try reading up more on photography, brushing up your skills and taking more photos. It takes time to be really good at photography. Keep at it!

Hello,
As I am new to photography I would like to ask some question about my D750 with 24-70mm non VR len. I feel like something wrong with the photo I took with 24-70mm. I am not satisfy with every photo i took with 24-70mm len, it always give me normal photo like I took with normal camera, like phone camera. I always shoot with RAW and the colour of raw photo is not good looking. I have 85mm prime len which give really good photo and colour. I would like to ask if something wrong with the len I bought or it just normal as I bought from a friend, second user. Kindly advices if something wrong with the len then I will try to buy other len.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 24-70mm lens. Do some reading about RAW processing..it's more about the raw processor and how it is displayed on a monitor..colours are less saturated. The two photos are normal if shot by average photographer..nothing wrong except it lacks visual appeal or interest. Phone camera has a wide angle lens say 28 or 35mm lens so if you shoot with these focal lengths your phots will look similar..it's the angle of view or perspective you get with different focal lengths of lenses.

Your portrait photo is shot with a wide angle so vertical lines are distorted.If your are shooting an environmental portrait that is you want to show the person in his/her enviroment to show what he/she does for a living for example then more thought needs to be considered as this is about photo composition and portrait photography.Again reading up will help.Even if it's a casual snapshot the do's and don'ts apply especially for females.:) If you look at the crop of your photo by Zaren now the visual interest is the subject proper
and does not include the environment..it's more directed as it's about the subject herself so your eyes is directed to look at her only nothing else which should be the intent but there are some "mistakes" a portrait photographer should avoid like taking care that extraneous hairs are properly "positioned" at forehead and face.It's easier during the shoot that editng afterwords. The head position in relation to body is rather awkward as the creases or folds of flesh of the neck is best avoided..for females it's about beauty a definite no no. Her sideways glance exposes more whites of the eyes for some people if eyes are large becomes like goldfish eyes not attractive.
Window lighting is nice but you must know how to shoot with it.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• TLINP56b.jpeg
    TLINP56b.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 32
  • h1LnXHXq.jpeg
    h1LnXHXq.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 31
Thanks you so much guy for the advises. I will try to learn more about photography. I tried to shoot two lens same object same setting and compare as ElCarnicero's advice. I put raw file as below link shot with two different lens, Color not much different but object zoom in look nicer in 85mm. May be it just becos of diff lens and limitation i guess. If nothing wrong with Lens then I will try to keep practicing. Thanks again.

24-70mm (f4 , 320s, ISO 500, 70mm)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5d8uth5n3xepiy/_7502874.NEF?dl=0

85mm ( f4 , 320s, ISO 500)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bqm59gsyn1nnnj/_7502875.NEF?dl=0

Last edited:
Thanks you so much guy for the advises. I will try to learn more about photography. I tried to shoot two lens same object same setting and compare as ElCarnicero's advice. I put raw file as below link shot with two different lens, Color not much different but object zoom in look nicer in 85mm. May be it just becos of diff lens and limitation i guess. If nothing wrong with Lens then I will try to keep practicing. Thanks again.

The photos are identical except for focal length as the 70mm has a wider view. If the 85mm looks nicer it's because it has a narrower angle of view and so give better subject isolation compared to wider view with too many details that distract the eye. You need to learn about raw processing/photo editing, that is adjust colour, contrast and sharpening etc. unless photo is well exposed. Try shooting jpeg for a change and see the difference. ;)

In order to improve, you need to keep practicing. There is no magic camera that will give you the photos that you think will come out "nice". It has to do with the skill of the photographer. You shoot in RAW, so you can actually post process the photos in Lightroom or PhotoShop to make the photos better.

For now, I believe as a new user, stick to JPegs so that the photos look better than what you are getting now.

If you shoot in RAW, you are collecting a lot more information onto each file, as RAW is a collection of almost all information caught by the sensor. The downside to shooting RAW is that everything thing from color to contrast is flatten out. So you really need to process the RAW files and adjust accordingly.

That said, your lens looks fine. In the end a great camera with a great lens will not produce good pictures. It is the photographer that captures great photos. A lot comes into play with creating a great photo like: choice of exposure, composition, waiting for the moment, choice of focal length, conveying a concept or story in a photo. It takes committed learning and lots of practice. You can start by watching some youtube videos on these topics mentioned above and more. Hope this helps you to start you in the right direction of your photographic journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.