Nikon D7100 Hands-On Preview

He probably meant that the D7100 was the D400, since the D7000 and D300 line seems to have merged and the D7100 was the end product.

ya... married between D7000 and D300 and the parent decide to call it D7100 instead of D400..... ;)

ya... married between D7000 and D300 and the parent decide to call it D7100 instead of D400..... ;)

I think D400 and D500 is going to be the next 2 generation of D600 :bsmilie:

One more thing what does it meant x1.3 crop and can't find the sensor size yet.

The sensor size are bigger than x1.5 crop?

Nikon so advance ah. X1.3 still can deliver without vignetting issue on using DX lens.

Thx

Last edited:
rain5533 said:

Nikon so advance ah. X1.3 still can deliver without vignetting image on using DX lens.

Thx

It's smaller, not bigger. Meaning your final size is about 1.5 x 1.3 = 1.95. Very close to a m 4/3 sensor size. Which allows more zoom reach of sports and nature photographer. Further, the reduced sensor capture of 15+ mp allows 1 additional FPS.

Nikon so advance ah. X1.3 still can deliver without vignetting image on using DX lens.

Thx

Nope. The DX sensor's 1.5x crop factor remains.

If you recall for FX models, there is a an option to change image area away from FX. You can select DX mode, 1.2x crop mode etc.

This 1.3x crop mode is being offered on the already 1.5x crop factor sensor. Which means that under this mode, if you look through the VF, there is a small box inside to indicate the framing of the 1.3x crop mode, which means that the image captured will look like as if it's shot with a 2x crop factor sensor.

The con is that the resolution is down to 15MP under this crop mode. In fact, what it actually does is just normal cropping of the original image taken by the 1.5x crop factor sensor and do some cropping for you, which you could have done in PS yourself. However, there is benefits to this - it saves you time cropping in PS yourself, you can make use of the small box showed in the VF for better framing.

Of course the main benefit of this 1.3x mode is that the 51 point AF fills almost the WHOLE of the smaller box indicating the 1.3x crop mode, making it extremely useful for action shooting. Also, it allows video to be shot on 50i and 60i mode.

It's smaller, not bigger. Meaning your final size is about 1.5 x 1.3 = 1.95. Very close to a m 4/3 sensor size. Which allows more zoom reach of sports and nature photographer. Further, the reduced sensor capture of 15+ mp allows 1 additional FPS.

So this is nothing new then. The D2X/s also has the 2X crop mode that does exactly the same thing and with increased shooting speed.

So this is nothing new then. The D2X/s also has the 2X crop mode that does exactly the same thing and with increased shooting speed.

Definitely not something new, but I think it's something new in the non D1-D4/D100-300/D700/D800 line.

Definitely not something new, but I think it's something new in the non D1-D4/D100-300/D700/D800 line.

Actually it started in the D2X only. D1, D2HS, D100,D200, D*0s/x, never had the 2x crop mode.

DX crop mode was introduce from D3 onwards.

Well, I'm confused, 1.3 crop is not bigger than 1.5 crop??
Let's see when it's out. Hopefully, no more focus & dust issue!!

Of all, does anyone here know what is the multiple exposure for D7100?
According to asia.cnet.com, it is successor for D300 instead of D7000, if that's the case it will continue D300 10 multi exposure, no??

300mm lens will become x2 = 600mm ! :cheergal:

@ 15MPs resolution ?

Of all, does anyone here know what is the multiple exposure for D7100?
According to asia.cnet.com, it is successor for D300 instead of D7000, if that's the case it will continue D300 10 multi exposure, no??

doubt it is a successor. d300s is full alloy, d7.1k, only top and rear is alloy.... not full alloy :)

Well, I'm confused, 1.3 crop is not bigger than 1.5 crop??
Let's see when it's out. Hopefully, no more focus & dust issue!!

It is 1.3 crop factor of dx format sensor and not 1.3 of full frame, if I m not mistaken....:)